For the money, I have been very disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm frustrated with my Lucid Air Grand Touring, which I bought for $155k plus tax in September 2022. I've had to replace 6 tires and 2 wheels due to a known issue with the 21" wheels, and the only solution from Lucid is to spend $6k to size down the wheels. The autopark never works, DreamDrive is underwhelming, and the infotainment system is often glitchy. Android Auto is still not available despite being promised. I want to get out of this car, but the depreciation makes it hard to sell. The best offer I've received is $44k, while eBay shows a best-case scenario of $78k. The car is fun to drive, but I don't feel I got my money's worth.
Depreciation is a known game when you purchase any luxury car. Unless you buy Honda Accord or Porsche 911, sharp curve is pretty much the same in any luxury car. Look at Bentleys, BMW (7's), MB (S class)... Just enjoy the car and don't think about the residual or whatever. You are paying more to be an early adopter and driving a nice car.

Not sure I have ever even tried the "autopark" on any vehicle.

Hot take — auto park on all cars is a “show off feature”. It’s not a feature anyone should ever rely on and is fickle for all OEMs equally. Use at your own risk.
Considering the Air almost crashed into another Air in the test drive lot during an auto park demonstration, I think I'll agree with that.

Auto Park seems to be working fine for me. The only reason I don't use it very often is because I can still back into a parking space in less time.

1. Don't think the tire issue is particularly Lucid's fault. Could they have chosen someone different? Maybe, but the cars weight and performance probably limited the choice in who was available. Low profile tires are notorious for being delicate flowers though so Lucid can't be held responsible for the crappy roads in the US. I've had to replace 2 tires in recent years, both low profile, both Pirelli with one being the Lucid and the other being on an Audi. Both were cause by potholes. The hip pocket hurt, but I blamed the state/city not Audi or Lucid.

2. Software is way more stable today than what it was from September 2022. You should be able to see the improved performance from then to today. Software issues today for me seem to be more quirks or feature enhancements but the OS itself is quite stable.

3. You lose credibility when you make such outlandish comments on the resale. Hit me up when you post your GT for $44K 😆

If you look at a cars depreciation and get annoyed then steer clear of the luxury car market. They're notorious for having higher depreciation than other vehicles.

Auto Park seems to be working fine for me. The only reason I don't use it very often is because I can still back into a parking space in less time.
Both times I tried it, 1 it curbed the rim and 2 is was heading straight for a pole that I had to interject to stop it. Have never trusted it enough to use it since. I recently tried the "Park Out" and has never worked either. The whole thing just makes me anxious so just easier to park it myself.

I am very happy to see posts by people who complain about the 21s.
...was able to pick up a pristine set of 21" Lucid factory wheels/Pirellis from a local who read these posts and got frightened.

count me as one who drove all last season on the 21" Pirellis and I love them. In a few weeks I'll be putting them back on. Can't wait.

Perhaps the suspension on the GT is optimized for this tire size? ( I bought the GT for range, so opted for the 19" A/S.)

We won't really know if it's Pirellis fault until we see a bunch of other brands in 21" size on our cars.
Sample size is way too small to make conclusions. Perhaps all the complaints are coming from unlucky /bad drivers ... to be fair we'd have to see the same drivers on another brand for the same time under the same conditions, or better, a whole lot of data from a whole lot of drivers.

yes I know I have just cursed myself.

Investment? Did you expect Lucid to go the way of Tucker, and leave us all with unique and historic cars that just appreciate over time?
I made my entrance into luxury brands by taking the 99% off discount (buying an R129 SL 600 for $12,000, driving it for 7 years, selling it for $10,000) Did something similar with the E63s wagon ... point is, if you think your luxury car is an investment, always by a used classic. Else just buy the Index 500 (up 86% under Biden, over 30% this past year alone.).

The argument that one should expect, and get, high quality and relyability at that price : yeah.

I feel I got that and then some. I'm not looking at the same car = I'm looking at everything under the surface. Mindblowing.

A fair retail price for the engineering in a Lucid GT is a million dollars. I'd still buy it. Who else makes a car like this? We got million-dollar cars, and all we are asked to do is: " drive them, and tell us." If you can't get a good resell price ... try selling a 2022 Mercedes AMG EQS good luck gettting half your money back. It's the nature of the beast in the pre-owned Luxury car business. Nobody buys a new luxury car as an investment.

{ GT delivered Sept. 2022 w/ 19" A//S. Bought 21" wheels/tires right away and use them when it's warm enough. In first week of ownership had control module replaced. Since then car has been flawless. No software issues, and it keeps getting better. Now just over 12,000 miles. }

The good news is a bunch of people can now afford a pre-owned Lucid. I see a low-miles DEP deeply discounted. The only reason I haven't bought it: afraid of the wife.

Also: I don't use any of the "don't bother me while I'm playing with my phone" features, like parking and highway asasination. I can see this will be
necessary for the SUV market = those people are not into driving.

Hey, how many can I sell you at a discounted price of just $750k ??? I'll even sell you my road tested, pre-sorted GT for half that?

I’ve been very vocal about my displeasure of the Pirelli 21s. However, I solved the problem by prematurely replacing all of my 21s and buying the Discount Tire warranty. The way insurance works for me, it pretty much guarantees that I will never get another welt until right after the warranty expires. 😂

I’ll give you $50k cash for your Air GT right now if the only problems are the ones you listed and it hasn’t been wrecked or fried.

Depreciation is a known game when you purchase any luxury car. Unless you buy Honda Accord or Porsche 911, sharp curve is pretty much the same in any luxury car. Look at Bentleys, BMW (7's), MB (S class)... Just enjoy the car and don't think about the residual or whatever. You are paying more to be an early adopter and driving a nice car.
Hi end/ luxury EV depreciate more than ice variants in the current market.
Good news it makes for just a better deal for someone who wants one. Unfortunately the market hasn’t been stable since late 2022 with price cuts/ There are some high-end wholesalers, who will not take in plaid/ Taycan/ EQ AMG/lucid, etc. i’m well aware of the market and love my GT so it is what it is. My buddy just bought a 2020 Taycan turbo with 12,000 miles for 76K.

I’ll give you $50k cash for your Air GT right now if the only problems are the ones you listed and it hasn’t been wrecked or fried.
I’ll offer 60K and just add it 2 my current GT.
The current market depending on miles and colors is 72-77K. A great buy used.

Last edited:
You're doing it wrong. You need to lower the 21 pressures a few lbs and tailgate so you don't see the potholes.

I am very happy to see posts by people who complain about the 21s.
...was able to pick up a pristine set of 21" Lucid factory wheels/Pirellis from a local who read these posts and got frightened.

count me as one who drove all last season on the 21" Pirellis and I love them. In a few weeks I'll be putting them back on. Can't wait.

Perhaps the suspension on the GT is optimized for this tire size? ( I bought the GT for range, so opted for the 19" A/S.)

We won't really know if it's Pirellis fault until we see a bunch of other brands in 21" size on our cars.
Sample size is way too small to make conclusions. Perhaps all the complaints are coming from unlucky /bad drivers ... to be fair we'd have to see the same drivers on another brand for the same time under the same conditions, or better, a whole lot of data from a whole lot of drivers.

yes I know I have just cursed myself.

Investment? Did you expect Lucid to go the way of Tucker, and leave us all with unique and historic cars that just appreciate over time?
I made my entrance into luxury brands by taking the 99% off discount (buying an R129 SL 600 for $12,000, driving it for 7 years, selling it for $10,000) Did something similar with the E63s wagon ... point is, if you think your luxury car is an investment, always by a used classic. Else just buy the Index 500 (up 86% under Biden, over 30% this past year alone.).

The argument that one should expect, and get, high quality and relyability at that price : yeah.

I feel I got that and then some. I'm not looking at the same car = I'm looking at everything under the surface. Mindblowing.

A fair retail price for the engineering in a Lucid GT is a million dollars. I'd still buy it. Who else makes a car like this? We got million-dollar cars, and all we are asked to do is: " drive them, and tell us." If you can't get a good resell price ... try selling a 2022 Mercedes AMG EQS good luck gettting half your money back. It's the nature of the beast in the pre-owned Luxury car business. Nobody buys a new luxury car as an investment.

{ GT delivered Sept. 2022 w/ 19" A//S. Bought 21" wheels/tires right away and use them when it's warm enough. In first week of ownership had control module replaced. Since then car has been flawless. No software issues, and it keeps getting better. Now just over 12,000 miles. }

The good news is a bunch of people can now afford a pre-owned Lucid. I see a low-miles DEP deeply discounted. The only reason I haven't bought it: afraid of the wife.

Also: I don't use any of the "don't bother me while I'm playing with my phone" features, like parking and highway asasination. I can see this will be
necessary for the SUV market = those people are not into driving.
I have for 21" wheels and Pirelli Tires for sale having replaced them with 20" wheels and Michelin tires after 6 flat tires in less than 10,000 miles. I will take best offer.

We've been driving a Lucid Air with 21" wheels and Pirelli tires for 27 months and a Tesla Plaid with 21" wheels and Michelin tires for 31 months. Outside of replacement for normal tread wear, we've replaced one tire on each car, both due to punctures from road debris, probably from the numerous construction sites in our area.

We have seen no difference in hazard damage or tread wear between the Pirellis and the Michelins, both of which are EV-specific tires.

@marvingardens said he's not only replaced 6 tires, but also 2 wheels. If true, this means there is more going on here than just with the tires. It's the road conditions and the way the car is driven in those conditions.
The Lucid 21 inch rims are pretty stout design. If you are damaging rims on the road you are hitting something serious. It’s a heavy car and it’s going to be hard on tires. I’ve been able to talk to one of the engineers on the team for the Michelins on the Sapphire and they are well aware of the challenges. I’ve confidence the tires will continue to improve. The 20s are a nice compromise for those who are worried. Low profile 21s do take some extra care regardless of what vehicle they are on.

The Lucid 21 inch rims are pretty stout design. If you are damaging rims on the road you are hitting something serious. It’s a heavy car and it’s going to be hard on tires. I’ve been able to talk to one of the engineers on the team for the Michelins on the Sapphire and they are well aware of the challenges. I’ve confidence the tires will continue to improve. The 20s are a nice compromise for those who are worried. Low profile 21s do take some extra care regardless of what vehicle they are on.
This is the only correct answer.

My understanding is that only the DE wheels are forged. Our wheels are beach-chair aluminum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back