For the money, I have been very disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

marvingardens

I'm frustrated with my Lucid Air Grand Touring, which I bought for $155k plus tax in September 2022. I've had to replace 6 tires and 2 wheels due to a known issue with the 21" wheels, and the only solution from Lucid is to spend $6k to size down the wheels. The autopark never works, DreamDrive is underwhelming, and the infotainment system is often glitchy. Android Auto is still not available despite being promised. I want to get out of this car, but the depreciation makes it hard to sell. The best offer I've received is $44k, while eBay shows a best-case scenario of $78k. The car is fun to drive, but I don't feel I got my money's worth.

I'm frustrated with my Lucid Air Grand Touring, which I bought for $155k plus tax in September 2022. I've had to replace 6 tires and 2 wheels due to a known issue with the 21" wheels, and the only solution from Lucid is to spend $6k to size down the wheels. The autopark never works, DreamDrive is underwhelming, and the infotainment system is often glitchy. Android Auto is still not available despite being promised. I want to get out of this car, but the depreciation makes it hard to sell. The best offer I've received is $44k, while eBay shows a best-case scenario of $78k. The car is fun to drive, but I don't feel I got my money's worth.

I heard about expensive larger wheels so I purposely avoided them since I bought my first EV in 2012. Lucid GT is my fourth EV and I purposely chose 19" in 2022 and I still have the original tires.

For me, a car is not a very good investment because it started to lose its value as soon as it got out of the delivery center.

Despite the deficiencies that you mentioned, it's still a very good car.

1. Known issue? I just replaced my original 21” tires due to wear at 21k miles. The issue is potholes other road hazards.
2. The software items you mention are true but they are actively improving.
3. Your $44k number is an exaggeration and you know it.

Sorry you're disappointed with the car. I agree they have some foibles, but I still love mine. I'm not sure what I'm doing differently, but autopark works very well for me - much better than my previous 2020 Model S. I'd like to see more progress on DreamDrive but at least it doesn't feel like it's trying to kill me.

Not sure depreciation on a 2022 S-class would have been any better? You could probably get out of the Lucid and into a similar age / mileage / condition Benz or BMW or whatever.

1. Known issue? I just replaced my original 21” tires due to wear at 21k miles. The issue is potholes other road hazards.
Agreed on resale. There have been sales this month in the 70’s on various sites. 44 is just hokey.

Your commentaries on the depreciation value tell me you’re slightly ranting on BS.

The tire situation is Pirrelli — each time you got a tire you should have registered them for a warranty and got a proper replacement.

The only part of this rant (and I’ve had my own rants) that’s relatable is Android Auto not being available which Lucid dropped the ball hard on.

I’m also questioning why this was posted under “Gravity “? @Bobby ?

Agree. 78k is NOT the best case scenario as stated, it is literally closer to the worst case (probably 70k) and 44k is BS. Even a Pure with 9 owners and an accident history would probably be around 50-60k...

". . . the only solution from Lucid is to spend $6k to size down the wheels." ???

Sets of 19" wheels with tires are on the Lucid Motors website for $3,750 and $4,250. It's the summer wheel/tire package that is $6,000.

If you want to have a serious discussion, first show us that you're actually a Lucid owner.

You can become a "verified owner" by contacting one of the site administrators.

Then we'll talk.

". . . the only solution from Lucid is to spend $6k to size down the wheels." ???

Sets of 19" wheels with tires are on the Lucid Motors website for $3,750 and $4,250. It's the summer wheel/tire package that is $6,000.

If you want to have a serious discussion, first show us that you're actually a Lucid owner.

You can become a "verified owner" by contacting one of the site administrators.

Then we'll talk.
In addition, all the comments are very vague and there are no details on what is wrong in those specific categories (eg: what bugs? how is dreamdrive underwhelming?)

Its either just somebody hoping a news reporter sees this post or somebody just wanting to create a ruckus..

Your commentaries on the depreciation value tell me you’re slightly ranting on BS.

The tire situation is Pirrelli — each time you got a tire you should have registered them for a warranty and got a proper replacement.

The only part of this rant (and I’ve had my own rants) that’s relatable is Android Auto not being available which Lucid dropped the ball hard on.

I’m also questioning why this was posted under “Gravity “? @Bobby ?
Disagree on the tire situation. We bought the car from Lucid and Lucid made the decision to go with Pirelli as the sole tire supplier for a 21" wheel for a vehicle at this weight. It was up to Lucid to do a bit more homework and if Pirelli did not live up to their claims, then Lucid should go after Pirelli to make good. Instead, the headache has been passed on to the consumer. Lucid still offers the 21" wheel with the same tires for whatever that might say. I have replaced one tire and had one damaged wheel (Still on car as damage is slight/cosmetic). Never had that problem with any other car I have owned. It was not really a known issue at the time I committed to my order. I might place less "blame" on Lucid had they not locked me into a tire choice along with the wheel choice. I also think this position is better reserved to those who purchased early on, before the prevalence of said issue was as widely known and experienced as it is today. This issue, for me, just gets filed as an irritation/shortcoming I have to live with and manage, kind of like Homelink pulling out of my garage. The problem really is that both of these issues come to the top of mind every single time I drive the car.

Would I change to a different wheel if it were offered as a trade? Probably would trade the 21" for 20's. Never in my 40+ years of driving have I felt so "aware" of road conditions and worried about every pot hole.

As for car value, I knew when I ordered this car that I was overpaying for the physical asset. There were other "intangibles" that factored into my decision. I plan to keep the car for another 5-7 years and then see what is out there at that time. I do not worry about resale as no car I would want to drive every day will be materially different.

Disagree on the tire situation. We bought the car from Lucid and Lucid made the decision to go with Pirelli as the sole tire supplier for a 21" wheel for a vehicle at this weight.

We've been driving a Lucid Air with 21" wheels and Pirelli tires for 27 months and a Tesla Plaid with 21" wheels and Michelin tires for 31 months. Outside of replacement for normal tread wear, we've replaced one tire on each car, both due to punctures from road debris, probably from the numerous construction sites in our area.

We have seen no difference in hazard damage or tread wear between the Pirellis and the Michelins, both of which are EV-specific tires.

@marvingardens said he's not only replaced 6 tires, but also 2 wheels. If true, this means there is more going on here than just with the tires. It's the road conditions and the way the car is driven in those conditions.

I won't change my opinion of the 21" Lucid/Pirelli tire situation. Lucid offered a wheel choice with one tire option available. No other replacement option is available, period. I have never had to change a tire on any of the previous cars I have owned other than a whole set for wear, in over 30 years. I have never in my lifetime had a bubble in a tire. I have never been worried about potholes. I find that I now focus on road conditions quite a bit more than I did in the past.

Like I said, it is just a fact of owning this car. One must be a it more careful of road conditions, just like one must now hit three buttons to close a garage door instead of one.

Now, if I lived in the part of Nashville I visited over the weekend, I am sure I probably would have replaced the rims and tires multiple times by now. Those highways were the worst I have driven on in some time. Thank goodness I had a Volvo XC60 as a rental.

The Infotainment is glitchy - though steadily improving. I'm a non-Android guy so my experience will also be different. I opted for the 19" tires and have had zero issues whatsoever. Disappointing that you had to pay to downsize. Have you had tire issues since? Curious if there's something bigger afoot (suspension issue). I rarely have ever used auto park features with the several cars I've owned that have it. I just don't like it. The 2 times I've used it, it worked fine. However, there was a sort of "perfectionist" element at the end where the car wanted to repeatedly self-correct so that the job was near perfect. Like I said, I don't like the loss of control in such close quarters. My Audi seemed perfectly fine with an imperfect parking job.

The Infotainment is glitchy - though steadily improving. I'm a non-Android guy so my experience will also be different. I opted for the 19" tires and have had zero issues whatsoever. Disappointing that you had to pay to downsize. Have you had tire issues since? Curious if there's something bigger afoot (suspension issue). I rarely have ever used auto park features with the several cars I've owned that have it. I just don't like it. The 2 times I've used it, it worked fine. However, there was a sort of "perfectionist" element at the end where the car wanted to repeatedly self-correct so that the job was near perfect. Like I said, I don't like the loss of control in such close quarters. My Audi seemed perfectly fine with an imperfect parking job.
Why wouldn't OP have to pay to change the wheels? I don't understand why a downsize would be free?

Now, if I lived in the part of Nashville I visited over the weekend, I am sure I probably would have replaced the rims and tires multiple times by now. Those highways were the worst I have driven on in some time. Thank goodness I had a Volvo XC60 as a rental.

My brother lives in the heart of Atlanta and drives a 2018 Tesla Model 3 with 18" wheels. All four wheels have been replaced due to Atlanta roads, and he's currently driving on a bent rim that still holds air pressure.

I know there have been some problems with sidewall bubbles on the Pirelli tires. But I doubt if any low-aspect-ratio tire on a 5,300-pound vehicle would protect the wheel from many potholes.

We replaced the tires on our first Air Dream with 21" wheels before it was wrecked at 17,000 miles. (I have a heavy foot and typically have to replace summer tires at 11-12,000 miles on every high-performance car I've owned.). None of those eight Pirellis developed any problems. When we got our second Air Dream (used, with 5,700 miles), it was on 21" Pirellis that appeared to have no problems. I replaced the tires, anyway, as they were being driven in a New Hampshire winter, and I was concerned the rubber compound might have been compromised. The two rear replacement tires developed flat spots when parked for several weeks on hot tarmac in south Florida during a long repair stint to replace the battery pack and rear drive unit, so the tires were replaced by Lucid under the car warranty. One of them later got cut by a piece of sharp metal on the road in front of a construction site, so I replaced both tires on that axle yet again.

So, between all this tire mayhem, we've had 20 Pirelli tires on our two Lucids with 21" wheels. No sidewall bubbles have developed, and no wheels have been bent.

The Pirelli tires on the Lucid were newly engineered specifically for the car -- hence the LM1 stamp on the sidewalls. I wonder if the sidewall bubble issue was limited to early-production tires and was later corrected? (Although our first Dream was an early production car.)

P.S. In my earlier post about replacing tires mostly due to tread wear, I forgot about that flat spot issue until I really started to tally up our tire use for this post.

Come on man, at least be reasonable. No autopark ever works consistently. Every single autopark SUCKS! Dream drive- that will slowly come. Air is a drivers car, as long as it has highway assist, that is reasonable for now. Are you expecting Tesla like FSD ( which is still level 2 BTW) Glitches- every car has them, even Tesla.

Regarding tires, many owners had no problems. Yes, you can switch if you are so concerned and live in a pothole area.

Looks like you don’t like driving at all, then why buy a drivers car?

Come on man, at least be reasonable. No autopark ever works consistently. Every single autopark SUCKS! Dream drive- that will slowly come. Air is a drivers car, as long as it has highway assist, that is reasonable for now. Are you expecting Tesla like FSD ( which is still level 2 BTW) Glitches- every car has them, even Tesla.

Regarding tires, many owners had no problems. Yes, you can switch if you are so concerned and live in a pothole area.

Looks like you don’t like driving at all, then why buy a drivers car?
Hot take — auto park on all cars is a “show off feature”. It’s not a feature anyone should ever rely on and is fickle for all OEMs equally. Use at your own risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back