Would you sell your DE for what you paid

Here is my question to the Forum.
My AGT has left the factory and delivery could be in a week. After reading so many comments about the many software glitches I am not sure if I want this car. At this point I would be worried if my wife drove it and she could not figure out certain software happenings. She wants an on and off button and drive😂😂. I have never had a car that takes a while to wake up before it’s ready to drive or god forbid locks one in or out in an emergency situation or cameras not working when the are needed.Has anyone experienced being locked in or out?
There seems to be just too many software glitches(some which could prove to be disastrous) to make this a daily pleasant driving experience. From all I read the driving seems to be stellar. How can that team be so good and the software time is still experimenting. My concern is how many updates before they get the important safety issues right?? In regular cars if the software had issues(Range Rover still antiquated software) I still can drive the car just fine and Google and Waze navigation works great every time.
So should I get delivery or just let it go and forfeit a 1000 dollars and wait another year?

Using the DE as a daily driver over the last 3 months, in a week I have 60 lock unlock interactions / 30 park distance / 14 homelink / 30 Entertainment system interactions, plus some Nav and Phone interactions.

About 100 of those interactions on a weekly basis are awful.

I love driving the car, I don't need the 100 aggravations a week.

If I could sell this car for what I paid for it I would sell it today.

I have very little confidence that my concerns will be addressed any time soon.

This post doesn't help me sell the car for more.

That is not my objective. I think it is the most honest assessment of the car. I would gladly sell this car for what I paid, and would consider some discount.

I don't know where that line is for me exactly, but if you don't want to wait to have an Air, make me an offer.

As far as the drive train and the 900V architecture, best EV by far.

For me not getting unlock/lock right is unforgivable.

I love driving the car, I'm not going to give it away, but if I could get a reasonable % of what I paid, I would let it go.

For me my time in my car is some of my favorite time of the day, the Air ruins that time with it's deficiencies.

It is probably the best EV, that is not good enough for me, I want the best Luxury sedan. The Air is not that.
My AGT left the factory and I probably can take delivery in a week or so but now I am on the fence about the car. I love driving but like you I don’t need aggravation and my wife couldn’t handle that at all. Some of the posted issues would freak her out.
I now need really convincing that the software glitches get fixed very shortly

It goes without saying that there will, most likely, be countless OTA updates. I am fine with that after my test drive. The car was an absolute blast to drive. Lucid's #1 priority with respect to software must be quick and reliable locking and unlocking, with Homelink fast on its' heels. In my opinion, those are the most significant with respect to safety and daily frustration I have heard. I can live with other issues being improved/resolved after those. I can still put my arm on the passenger seat and turn my head (not ideal, but possible). I still have to do this in my classics so that habit has not been lost to me. My driving tends to be around town or in places I do not "need" GPS and I can function with a less than optimal GPS. I do not even have ACC in my 2014 BMW M5 or in my wife's GLS450, so I will be happy to get that back (had it on our previous Infinitis). I don't tend to talk on my phone in the car, but it sounds like that is now possible/easier. I am going to miss SiriusXM and for Lucid to just say "use the App on your phone" shows that they have missed the mark on that one. I do go though areas with no cell service on the way to my lake house. I will adapt. This is a convenience issue more than anything, but still a serious shortfall on Lucid's part (excuse the pun).

The most important thing they can do with respect to communication is to acknowledge the issues and let us know what their priority list is in order to manage expectations. Right now, all of us customers and shareholders can only hope they are working on what we, as the end user, view as the most critical. I would like them to come on here as say, "We are committed to solving all of the software issues as fast as we can, as completely as we can, and anticipate updates to XYZ in September(or whatever month) and ABC in August". At least we would know that they recognize what issues mean the most to us or can have to biggest impact if resolved,

With the current software iteration, just speaking purely on the driving aspect and not the lock/unlock thing because I don't have any problems there, you can get in and just drive it with no issues within seconds. Unlock, 3-5 seconds later, the instrument panel will load, hit the brake and you can put the car into gear with a backup camera working immediately. It's ALL the other stuff that takes time to load up i.e. media module, ADAS cameras, profile stuff, etc. So, for me personally, that hasn't been an issue, the 2 drivers of the car are me and my dad and we almost have the exact same driving position. Other people have husband/wife who are vastly different driving positions, so in that respect, it will be annoying to have to wait.

My wife already knows she wants to stay away from the car because it will have too much tech for her. Set expectations early with your family, unlike what Lucid did in their marketing...

My wife is the same way. She is also that way with my M5. I do not see her driving the Air unless she absolutely has to. That does not mean she won't tease me and give me a hard time for things my son's 2018 Volvo V60 does better than the Air.

Oh, be prepared for certain people to give you the whole “you paid how much for this thing?!” When anything doesn’t go perfectly, always happens. Even happened with my mom when I bought the first iPhone and I had poor service. We keep going back to, it’s just software. Sure, they maybe sent it out in too much of a beta form, but this can improve and very rapidly as long as they know the issues. As long as you are smart enough to read ahead (which clearly most of us are by simply reading these forums) you will have the proper expectations, and can know what to do when something is glitching. If you can’t handle glitches for months, I would recommend being on the sidelines for now.

My AGT left the factory and I probably can take delivery in a week or so but now I am on the fence about the car. I love driving but like you I don’t need aggravation and my wife couldn’t handle that at all. Some of the posted issues would freak her out.
Do you use Mac and assume it will never break? <s>

its software - all software - everywhere on the planet has bugs. And as devices washing machines, tvs, cars all get richer in functionality they amount of sw goes up.

I am less than a week in, and have had no alarming issues… beyond the acceleration. Yes the unlock can sometimes take a second (but never more) and yes the surround camera can take 30-60 seconds - but the reversing camera is still there.

AND … I am not even on the latest software.

what I do appreciate - Lucid appears to be taking a more sensible approach to building vs partnering than say another well know brand.

I think a quick search and you will find almost every EV manufacturer (whether 100 years old or 10) has SW and Build problems.

It is better than it was. Unlock I still frequently have to wait 3-5 seconds for it to unlock. I know 3-5 seconds doesn't sound like a lot. My other cars the wait is 0. 0 Every time. 100% consistent. The Lucid is all over the place. and rarely 0. For Lock, if I press the handle in it locks the car immediately about 25% of the time. 75% of the time it locks whenever it wants.

You're not crazy, it's wild to me that it still takes 3-5 seconds after clicking unlock after the update to 1.2.1.

My wife always says that she likes her current car. Then when I get one, she decides she likes my new one better and it becomes hers. I might be happy if my wife couldn’t locate the on/off button!

You're not crazy, it's wild to me that it still takes 3-5 seconds after clicking unlock after the update to 1.2.1.
If you use the key like every “other” car, it is 0.0 seconds, every time. It’s only delayed if you use the app or phone key

My wife always says that she likes her current car. Then when I get one, she decides she likes my new one better and it becomes hers. I might be happy if my wife couldn’t locate the on/off button!
Ha ha. Yes, my wife won’t drive it either. The “on” button is the brake pedal (put your foot “on” it, and the “off” button is your feet hitting the ground and your hand closing the door.

Here is my question to the Forum.
My AGT has left the factory and delivery could be in a week. After reading so many comments about the many software glitches I am not sure if I want this car. At this point I would be worried if my wife drove it and she could not figure out certain software happenings. She wants an on and off button and drive😂😂. I have never had a car that takes a while to wake up before it’s ready to drive or god forbid locks one in or out in an emergency situation or cameras not working when the are needed.Has anyone experienced being locked in or out?
There seems to be just too many software glitches(some which could prove to be disastrous) to make this a daily pleasant driving experience. From all I read the driving seems to be stellar. How can that team be so good and the software time is still experimenting. My concern is how many updates before they get the important safety issues right?? In regular cars if the software had issues(Range Rover still antiquated software) I still can drive the car just fine and Google and Waze navigation works great every time.
So should I get delivery or just let it go and forfeit a 1000 dollars and wait another year?

In my opinion, you should take delivery of this rare and spectacular car. If your wife is driving it, there are no software issues that will put her in harms way. I personally have not experienced getting locked into the car and can’t envision how that could occur, ever. The software issues are small convenience factors, i.e., the slow booting of the 3-D surround view cameras to back up and the need to drag the radio down to the center screen every time you want to change the source. You should probably prepare yourself for the occasional “how the f___ do I change the radio station in this stupid car?? “ but just teach her to say “Alexa, change the radio station” and she’ll be fine. Otherwise it drives like a normal car, but better. Way better.

Rest assured, if Lucid had not seen this post before, they have now.;)

I should change my username to "Squeaky Wheel".

Last edited:
If you use the key like every “other” car, it is 0.0 seconds, every time. It’s only delayed if you use the app or phone key

Shouldn't it detect your proximity and unlock automatically as well?

Shouldn't it detect your proximity and unlock automatically as well?
It should unlock as you approach using the key fob passively. It does unlock most of the time, but often only after standing next to the car for a few seconds. Pressing the button on the fob works immediately, almost always.

Not sure about that, my 2014 BMW automatically senses the key and opens upon me touching the door handle. If I touch the driver's door, that is the only door that unlocks. If I touch any other door, they all unlock.

Not sure about that, my 2014 BMW automatically senses the key and opens upon me touching the door handle. If I touch the driver's door, that is the only door that unlocks. If I touch any other door, they all unlock.
Same with our XC40 Volvo EV. Walk up and get in, no need to touch key/phone/etc to unlock.

Do you use Mac and assume it will never break? <s>

its software - all software - everywhere on the planet has bugs. And as devices washing machines, tvs, cars all get richer in functionality they amount of sw goes up.

I am less than a week in, and have had no alarming issues… beyond the acceleration. Yes the unlock can sometimes take a second (but never more) and yes the surround camera can take 30-60 seconds - but the reversing camera is still there.

AND … I am not even on the latest software.

what I do appreciate - Lucid appears to be taking a more sensible approach to building vs partnering than say another well know brand.

I think a quick search and you will find almost every EV manufacturer (whether 100 years old or 10) has SW and Build problems.
Lucid‘s aim is to be the best Luxury Sedan in the world. I’m not using Tesla as a benchmark. S class and 7 series.

From Lucid “The advanced technology within Air is the real deal. From the moment you open the Lucid app, to the immersive in-car experience, every interaction is designed to be instant, intuitive, and exactly as you wish.”

For me it is not there is a bug here and there. It may have been designed to be instant, in the real world the entire interface is incredibly slow, button presses are laggy, even when it works “as expected”. A boot time of 40+ seconds in a car is simply unacceptable. Unlocking that is not instantaneous is unacceptable.

Back