Official Software 2.0 Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any word on when the tablet display will be able to display the actual color of your Air and not just the default Cosmos Silver Air?

I vehemently disagree about releasing basic hardware specs.
They didn't name the hardware this time like Apple or Canon, or Nikon? Cool.

What GHz proc does it have, what's the HD size, how much RAM and what type is it?

I'm an enthusiastic owner with a question, and they've released detailed info about their latest
and greatest battery pack, or motor, or charging Wunderbox on YouTube and their website.

Specs are not hackable.

The drive mode selection screen still has a silver DE on it for me. Surround cameras have my Gray GT though.
Same here, screen still shows silver, except now when using the surround cameras (with the latest update,) it now shows my Zenith Red GT color

Reactions: DJL

What GHz proc does it have, what's the HD size, how much RAM and what type is it?

I'm an enthusiastic owner with a question, and they've released detailed info about their latest
and greatest battery pack, or motor, or charging Wunderbox on YouTube and their website.

Specs are not hackable.
You can know the specs like Tesla did, buy one Air to Austin GigaFactory and tear it down for lab study.

Specs are not hackable.
I’d be curious about this, too. Because I’m a huge nerd. But cars just aren’t marketed that way. And to be honest, for 99% of what a car actually has to process (minus all the ADAS stuff) any processor from five years ago is frankly overkill.

Apple just updated their Apple TV box with an A15 bionic chip. Why? Because scrolling through a bunch of thumbnails and decoding one or two streams of 4k video needs more compute power than what we use to go to the moon? No. Because they finally ran out of A8 chips from several years ago. And they probably made too many A15s last year.

Telling customers the car has an X GHz chip is just going to lead them to think “Wow, that was last year’s chip. What a piece of crap.” And then five years from now, when they are still using that same chip, the car will seem ancient to folks who love these little details. But it will make zero difference to the daily experience of driving the car. Because the chip already has more power than it’ll ever need.

And let’s not forget, we aren’t talking about one chip. We’re talking about several chips controlling various systems in the car. I think Lucid wants to retain the flexibility to swap those out as it sees fit, without having to update all its marketing materials.

What if Lucid suddenly has trouble getting a specific chip, and they need to swap it out for something newer, or something from another manufacturer ? Well, we told the public the car has chip X, so now we have to tell them we’ve started using Y. How does everyone who got their car with chip X feel now that two months later, the car has something “better.” (Even though the newer, faster chip makes no perceptible difference to anyone?)

Why give your suppliers that much leverage over you? Once you advertise you use this specific NVIDIA chip, what’s to stop them from coming back at you and demanding more money per chip?

I’m sure someone will tear down a Lucid at some point and give you all this info. Of course, if you tear down five of them, you might get five different answers.

Given other manufacturers don’t disclose the specs of their chips, I don’t see why Lucid should.

Frankly, I think it was a mistake for the computer industry to concentrate so much on the GHz pissing match. I’m kinda glad the automotive industry isn’t repeating that.

I’d be more interested in the compute module(s) upgradability and future-proofing, even more so than the specs, although I’m kind of a nerd for that stuff also…

Same here, screen still shows silver, except now when using the surround cameras (with the latest update,) it now shows my Zenith Red GT color
Ditto (i.e surround view shows correct color ... in my case Grey)

Re hardware specs, I hope they are using SSD instead of HD - and lots of it 😁

In this regard, can you store music files directly on the internal storage of the audio system? Does it support music files playing on a USB stick or SD card? If so, can you copy the music files to internal storage.

In this regard, can you store music files directly on the internal storage of the audio system? Does it support music files playing on a USB stick or SD card? If so, can you copy the music files to internal storage.
No, No and...uh..No.

Frankly, I think it was a mistake for the computer industry to concentrate so much on the GHz pissing match. I’m kinda glad the automotive industry isn’t repeating that.
See, this isn't about a GHz pissing match to me, it's about knowing the limits of my machine and when it's time to move on.

Camera gear, same... there comes a time when competitive work needs a gear upgrade (lens, body, whatever)
Computer gear, same
Phone, same
 TV, same
Game consoles, same
Prediction: EV's will be the same... why? because it was that way with engines and transmissions and EFI, and power commanders, and jet kits, and carburetors, and...

As for bringing it to Tesla to tear down, :rolleyes:

Feels like a lot of things get reset / default to a particular setting upon getting in the car with 2.0.12 -
  1. When reversing the rear window shade lowers but then 50% of the time stays lowered
  2. Rear seat temps at 59F and speed 1. Eluded to before
  3. The highly controversial auto high beam headlight setting
  4. Music volume too resets to a certain level. Not what you had it at prior to exiting the car
  5. Driver side seat cooling / heating is always at 1 regardless of what you'd set it to previously
  6. Massage intensity always at 1
  7. Navigation volume always unmuted. I always have to mute it
  8. Lane departure warning too has twice turned itself ON
Some new unusual things I picked up on -
  1. Screen behind the steering wheel seems to flicker once in a while. With or without navigation running
  2. Pilot panel / tablet tends to automatically un-retract itself within half a minute or so after retracting while accessing the cubby
  3. "Car key cannot be found" message for a quick second even though my phone (mobile key) is sitting right there
  4. Cabin lights between driver and passenger seat sometimes turns itself on. Weird

No, No and...uh..No.

Really surprised that a manufacturer of a high-end luxury car would use a mechanical hard disk instead of a solid state memory drive in the harsh environment of a car. All tablets and even most laptops use SSD drives today. They're much faster and more reliable than hard disk drives.

Also, surprising that the audio system won't support music files on USB stick or SD card. Virtually every car I've seen in the last 5 years has a USB port.

No, No and...uh..No.

Really surprised that a manufacturer of a high-end luxury car would use a mechanical hard disk instead of a solid state memory drive in the harsh environment of a car. All tablets and even most laptops use SSD drives today. They're much faster and more reliable than hard disk drives.

Also, surprising that the audio system won't support music files on USB stick or SD card. Virtually every car I've seen in the last 5 years has a USB port.
Other cars in the last 5 years may not have sophisticated computer system as today’s EVs. For what I know, those USB-C port are not data accessible to prevent hacking. Lucid is same as Polestar & Rivian not letting those ports available for data bridge, but charging only. Polestar only recently introduced Apple CarPlay, you can use that port to connect to Apple device as wrapper. I’m sure Lucid will make Android Auto available too. Outside of those 2 systems, I don’t know if they may allow more data bridge to other systems.

Lane departure warning too has twice turned itself ON
Add me to this list. Happened again mid-drive just this morning.

"Car key cannot be found" message
This has been happening for me regularly since 1.2.x, but I exclusively use the fob. No keys or other metal too near it, and I have to fish it out of my pocket to have it recognized.

Add me to this list. Happened again mid-drive just this morning.

This has been happening for me regularly since 1.2.x, but I exclusively use the fob. No keys or other metal too near it, and I have to fish it out of my pocket to have it recognized.
Same

No, No and...uh..No.

What makes you think it has a HDD instead of an SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back