Electrify America is enraging EV owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if anyone is having a harder time at EV charging stations with authorization for the free (VIN-specific?) lucid charging plan. It never happened to me before, and within the last few weeks it's happened every time, and seems to take exactly as long to resolve as it takes for EA customer support's hold queue to end.

I also have no idea what things to try during that ~5 min struggle. Unplugging/replugging? Switch chargers? Do nothing? Kick things? Anyone else experiencing this?
Need more details, exactly what happens? About 90% of the time for me it is just simple plug and charge, a couple times I’ve needed to go into the app and select the correct charging station.

Need more details, exactly what happens? About 90% of the time for me it is just simple plug and charge, a couple times I’ve needed to go into the app and select the correct charging station.
I'll try to snag some pics when I experience it next, but basically the failure looks like:

1) Plug in EA charge cable
2) EA screen acknowledges car connection, spinny wheel spins to indicate they're communicating with each other
3) EA screen directs to a payment page offering me options like CC, account, etc
4) Unplug and try again repeating steps 1-3 over (often) 6+ attempts over (often) 5+ minutes

As you say, when it works it just requires plugging in the cable and that's that, so it seems like something is getting lost in the handshake (is that the correct term?) between charger/car. I've yet to have the problem take longer to resolve than the time it takes to get someone on the line from EA customer support, at which point I just hang up, though maybe I should stay on the line and see if they can tell what's happening.

Thx for listening!

I'll try to snag some pics when I experience it next, but basically the failure looks like:

2) EA screen acknowledges car connection, spinny wheel spins to indicate they're communicating with each other
3) EA screen directs to a payment page offering me options like CC, account, etc
4) Unplug and try again repeating steps 1-3 over (often) 6+ attempts over (often) 5+ minutes

As you say, when it works it just requires plugging in the cable and that's that, so it seems like something is getting lost in the handshake (is that the correct term?) between charger/car. I've yet to have the problem take longer to resolve than the time it takes to get someone on the line from EA customer support, at which point I just hang up, though maybe I should stay on the line and see if they can tell what's happening.

Thx for listening!
When item 3 happens, try going into the Lucid app and seeing if you can select the charger there.

Interesting read, this thread. I have owned the car since Sept '22 . I installed a Betty Boop for home and use two "local" EA chargers when it's worth my time: one (150kW) at Plymouth Meeting mall and one (350 kW) at King of Prussia mall. Both have been plug n play for me, and both have followed the published charging curve (as shown prior). Interesting observation: there is no noticeable difference in charging time between the two.

I have driven up to New Hampshire (from Philly 'burbs) using EA chargers = plug n play + follows the published charging curve.
I have driven to the Jersey Shore (Cape May), and found only BS (Tesla or low power) chargers, so didn't bother with charging for the 3 days we were there. It's nice to have huge range.
I have been to chargers along RT. 95, only to leave when I see the chaos...seems worse at Wall Marts ? It's nice to have range...

So, I don't know what you folk are talking about. Sounds terrible.

When item 3 happens, try going into the Lucid app and seeing if you can select the charger there.
The EA charger button does not appear anywhere in the Lucid app if you are a second owner. That said, my car did the EA handshake automatically Everytime except once.

I have recently had to use the Lucid app charging function to stipulate which EA charger I am using. It is a random situation for me, as most of the time I just plug in and hit continue, and charge. EA is not perfect but for me, it has been tolerably reliable.

The other day after charging was complete at an EA 350 kWh station the cable would not disconnect and my car shut down completely. It rebooted itself after about 5 minutes, although it seemed like much longer. The EA customer rep answered in less than a minute on hold and could not have been more polite or competent. The UM disconnect directions were easy. Now I would like to know why after over a year of EA charging the cable locked for the first time and the car shut down.

Ah, must have missed that there's functionality in the app for charging other thank opening the charge port and stopping charging. Will give that a shot, thanks!

Got a 2500 mi holiday road trip next week (SF>San Diego>Palm Springs>Sedona>Show Low, AZ>LA>Los Gatos) so hoping to find a solution for this beforehand, since trips like this were a big motivation for the car.

The EA charger button does not appear anywhere in the Lucid app if you are a second owner. That said, my car did the EA handshake automatically Everytime except once.
The EA button does not appear anywhere in my app, and I am the first owner. Is it something which appears only if your car is already plugged in?

I have recently had to use the Lucid app charging function to stipulate which EA charger I am using. It is a random situation for me, as most of the time I just plug in and hit continue, and charge. EA is not perfect but for me, it has been tolerably reliable.
I came across this issue at the Santa Clarita EA. I plugged the cable in and the EA screen shown unplug and plug to initiate charging. After 3 to 4 attempts, I had to initiate charging from the Lucid app.

I wonder what is the root cause of this variability of our charging experiences with EA. I am a regular user of EA on road trips and I have never had any issues whatsoever with the vehicle to charger connection, handshake, and free charge process.

The only issues I have had with EA are waiting for charging station availability, chargers down for repair, and stations de-powered to 80KW. But even those problems have occurred less than 10% of the time.

My local EA had been pretty reliable for the past 6-9 months, then recently it's been refusing to authorize my Lucid. The EA app authorizes immediately on the station, so I know it's not a networking problem. Anyone know if there's a way to link the car account to the EA app? Or have a Lucid entry to the Apple wallet to bypass authenticating through the car?

The EA button does not appear anywhere in my app, and I am the first owner. Is it something which appears only if your car is already plugged in?
Yes. It will only appear if you plug into an EA and the station asks for payment. Open your app, go to the charging tab and you should see a big white Electrify America button. Choose the station you are plugged into.

Thx for listening!
I have encountered this same scenario once. It was EA stall specific, and worked fine when I moved to an adjacent stall. other than this incident, plug and charge has worked great for me.

I think if someone looked at EA code it would be a disorganized dumpster of leftovers with occasional logically sequential steps that lead to functional charging. I’ve had all of the problems described on the same charging cabinet and cable at the same site, but that also works with plug and charge most of the time. I think there’s just some spiderwebs in between the way EA authenticates, initiates, sustains and completes charging. These issues are not unique to Lucid owners, happened to a burgundy Taycan and blue Ioniq next to me at an EA site on a charger I’d used without incident 2 days prior.

Given all the reported issues with EA, would folks pay to charge their cars here?
I'd personally go elsewhere if better options are available.

I prefer EVGo and Chargepoint, EVGo is the most reliable, but EVGo is expensive, like almost as much $ as gas. Chargepoint is less $ but usually slower than EA in my experience.

Given all the reported issues with EA, would folks pay to charge their cars here?
I'd personally go elsewhere if better options are available.
The issues with negotiation or charging not starting are annoying but easy enough to work with. EA support is decent. The problem is the volume and how few stalls are in each location - usually as few as 4 and there's always one or two broken. What's unacceptable is losing confidence that you can complete a road trip because the EA charger you plan on stopping at might be full and have a long wait. And that is the case at a lot of them. I don't particularly care where I charge as long as its A) fast B) along my route and C) I can be confident there will be available stalls.

I prefer EVGo and Chargepoint, EVGo is the most reliable, but EVGo is expensive, like almost as much $ as gas. Chargepoint is less $ but usually slower than EA in my experience.
Around my area, EVGo sucks almost as bad as EA. EA is the bottom of the barrel. I almost think the EA has launched an initiative to prove that the are totally incompetent at installing and maintaining equipment and anything software related. I used to defend them a bit but I am not longer seeing any hope for them. Until they have a CEO that is willing to clean house, they will not improve. I have tried contacting EA a handful of times and asking them to participate in our forum and all of my contacts have been met with silence. They are not interested in hearing from their customers.

Wondering if anyone is having a harder time at EV charging stations with authorization for the free (VIN-specific?) lucid charging plan. It never happened to me before, and within the last few weeks it's happened every time, and seems to take exactly as long to resolve as it takes for EA customer support's hold queue to end.

I also have no idea what things to try during that ~5 min struggle. Unplugging/replugging? Switch chargers? Do nothing? Kick things? Anyone else experiencing this?
Yup, the EA chargers close to me had never given me an issue with authorization up to a few weeks ago. Now I have to routinely use my app to initiate a charging session there. However a different bank of chargers at a shopping mall still do the authorization flawlessly.

“EA is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’ll get.”

I have a 2023 Air Touring. I almost never experience a single plug in for EA to start charging. without fail, on the first, second and third tries, it tells me payment is not recognized and I have to unplug and plug in again. And I always have to use the Lucid app to select the Charger number. What magic are you guys using to only plug in once?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back