Electrify America is enraging EV owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2023 Air Touring. I almost never experience a single plug in for EA to start charging. without fail, on the first, second and third tries, it tells me payment is not recognized and I have to unplug and plug in again. And I always have to use the Lucid app to select the Charger number. What magic are you guys using to only plug in once?
I don’t think there’s any magic involved, it’s simply some EA chargers accommodate plug n play because everything is working as designed, and many don’t because something is broken within the automatic handshake chain.

As I mentioned above, the EA bank of chargers closest to my home worked flawlessly for plug n play during my first 3 months of ownership. Now I can plug in and replug 10 times and those same chargers will not initiate a charge. So now I must use the Lucid app to select the charger and initiate charging. Not as convenient but still very fast to launch the app and select the charger.

They really need to start fixing this stuff and get it right. Should be as easy as plug and play. When I tried 3 newer EA charging locations that had 4 charging areas, only two out of 4 worked in each location. How can that even be possible?

It will be hard to get large EV adoption for non Tesla EV’s in the US, until that stuff gets fixed. Does not matter how complicated it could be, but most of the general public will never accept that.

They really need to start fixing this stuff and get it right. Should be as easy as plug and play. When I tried 3 newer EA charging locations that had 4 charging areas, only two out of 4 worked in each location. How can that even be possible?

It will be hard to get large EV adoption for non Tesla EV’s in the US, until that stuff gets fixed. Does not matter how complicated it could be, but most of the general public will never accept that.
Well, credit where it’s due: they have started “fixing this stuff” as evidenced by the fact we get roughly a quarter of the complaints on this forum that we used to. They just still have a long way to go.

They have about 3,700 chargers across America. Not easy to maintain 3,700 computers. And they need to double that if there’s any hope for them to keep up with demand over the next five to ten years.

I’m still hoping for more competition amongst providers. There’s no reason we should have only two major charging companies for an entire nation. Tesla is obviously the biggest because they sell way more EVs than anyone else. EA is only second biggest because so many manufacturers are still giving away free EA charging. If they knocked that off, there would be more room for more of the smaller providers to grow.

After several trips and many thousands of miles with almost zero EA issues, my road trip from Texas to SC was not quite as smooth.

First stop only 1 of 4 chargers working and there was a car charging and 1 waiting. Drove to a nearby Shell Charge. Listed as 160kW it maxed out at 82kW. Charged about 20kWh and headed to next EA station. Second station required App to authenticate, but then charged as high as 309kW.

Next 2 stations plug and charge no issues.

The next station in Pensacola wanted authentication from the app, but the app showed I was at the station in Vidor, TX. No amount of closing App and plugging and unplugging would change this, including powering down iPhone. Called EA and about 20 minutes on the call and 30 minutes after initially pulling into the station, charging started.

Last 2 stations no issues.

I was able to charge at every station except the one I left due to unknown wait time. Spending half hour to get charging started does try patience.

Also, I charged overnight at a couple hotels on Level 2. Both times there were 2 chargers and I got the last one. In the morning there were other EVs parked nearby left out in the cold. Hotels need to add charging to the reservation system. I would pay extra to know I had a spot, more and more EVs, and usually only a couple spots is going to result in many disappointed drivers.

Hotels need to add charging to the reservation system. I would pay extra to know I had a spot, more and more EVs, and usually only a couple spots is going to result in many disappointed drivers.
Could not agree more. I would definitely pay a pretty penny to get guaranteed overnight L2 charging.

It's currently quite difficult just to search for hotels with charging onsite.

Could not agree more. I would definitely pay a pretty penny to get guaranteed overnight L2 charging.
Also a good thing to do for status - e.g., first chance for Globalists or ambassador levels

Yes. It will only appear if you plug into an EA and the station asks for payment. Open your app, go to the charging tab and you should see a big white Electrify America button. Choose the station you are plugged into.
That works if the right station pops up in the Lucid App. On my last road trip I had several instances where the wrong (previous EA station) showed up in the App and I was unable to activate.

The next station in Pensacola wanted authentication from the app, but the app showed I was at the station in Vidor, TX. No amount of closing App and plugging and unplugging would change this, including powering down iPhone. Called EA and about 20 minutes on the call and 30 minutes after initially pulling into the station, charging started.
I had the exact same issue at the Pensacola EA. It thought I was at the last EA station I charged. After 30’ on the phone, was finally able to charge. Frustrating. Happened to me three other times on that road trip.

I had the exact same issue at the Pensacola EA. It thought I was at the last EA station I charged. After 30’ on the phone, was finally able to charge. Frustrating. Happened to me three other times on that road trip.
Did either of you try and do a logo reset?

Did either of you try and do a logo reset?
Yes. All sorts of resets, changing cables, units. Three way with Lucid and EA and EA had us on hold forever. Finally able to have EA do a remote activation. Was the only thing that worked. Was hoping it was a one off thing, but the fact that it happened to me multiple times on the trip and others have seen it, at the same EA station no less, makes me believe there is a glitch somewhere in the communication. Don’t know if it is Lucid or EA, but it needs to get fixed. It will likely go away for me in 18 months when my free charging ends as I will have to pay through the EA app.

Was just at an EA station yesterday (I am guilty of trying to use the free charging on my Lucid but mostly if I am out and about) and EVERY vehicle that was charging or waiting to charge was from a brand that is giving away free charging. During my 45 min there there was 2 EQS, 3 ID4, Taycan, iX, i3 and i7. I think once free charging goes away, chargers will be used simply by those that can't charge at home or are traveling. At this location, they didn't really give any buffer space between spaces so backing in to the spot and getting in / out while trying to avoid the giant metal bollard was difficult. AND there is nowhere to queue up so people are on the honor system to position themselves in a virtual line. I had two people try to take my charging spot when it was my turn. SOOOOO frustrating.

Another EA charger (combo CCS/Chademo) near me is positioned and has a short cable length that prevents me from being able to use it with my Lucid. This limits the me to 3 of 4 chargers at that location, and for the most part one of 3 is almost always broken (just confirmed the this is currently the case!)

Was just at an EA station yesterday (I am guilty of trying to use the free charging on my Lucid but mostly if I am out and about) and EVERY vehicle that was charging or waiting to charge was from a brand that is giving away free charging. During my 45 min there there was 2 EQS, 3 ID4, Taycan, iX, i3 and i7. I think once free charging goes away, chargers will be used simply by those that can't charge at home or are traveling. At this location, they didn't really give any buffer space between spaces so backing in to the spot and getting in / out while trying to avoid the giant metal bollard was difficult. AND there is nowhere to queue up so people are on the honor system to position themselves in a virtual line. I had two people try to take my charging spot when it was my turn. SOOOOO frustrating.

Another EA charger (combo CCS/Chademo) near me is positioned and has a short cable length that prevents me from being able to use it with my Lucid. This limits the me to 3 of 4 chargers at that location, and for the most part one of 3 is almost always broken (just confirmed the this is currently the case!)
by the time free charging runs out (3+ years at the minimum…) hopefully we’ll all be taking advantage of the supercharger network👍👍

Reported a broken charging station at Hayden/ Frys grocery store in Scottsdale a month ago. Still not fixed.

EA should buy a bunch of Lucids and use the vehicle to vehicle charger.

Charging at 9 mi/min. is faster than waiting for the one working charger to become available.

I think my house rate is 22 cents per kWh... I should charge $1/ kWh to cover wear & tear. Working on my sign.

Every disaster is an opportunity.

AND there is nowhere to queue up so people are on the honor system to position themselves in a virtual line. I had two people try to take my charging spot when it was my turn. SOOOOO frustrating
This is an issue. At the only stop on my Jersey to Indy trip in OH with folks waiting we self-organized and as new people arrived they were informed where they were in the queue. Another awkward problem- I have read complaints in other media about folks taking the 350 chargers whose cars cannot charge at that rate, but if you drive up and that is the only stall open, I doubt few would be eager to form a sub-queue for the lower charging stations With a higher station open.

At every EA, i get out of my car and talk to the other owners who know the wait order. When a car comes later, if they don't do the same, we don't walk over to them, say hello and talk EV for a few minutes and let them know.

I've never experienced any issues with line jumping, and it's great to speak with other owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back