Electrify America is enraging EV owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

mardin

Verified Owner
Cars
air grand touring
Today at the EA in Rocklin CA people were FURIOUS. out of about 10 stations 2 or 3 were working. A woman pulled up on a beautiful Mercedes, tried a few and screamed "I hate my car.". I tried to explain it wasn't her car it was EA. Another lucid was there, owner on the phone trying to sell his car back to lucid because so impossible to charge, and yes Bob, like me 3 years of free juice means "I will not pay for it! This is just unacceptable." VW owns E A and it feels like they are single handedly trying to keep ICS cars in sales. Most of the expensive EVs come with some EA fast charging (no other chargers match the speed, promised anyway). EV owners are enraged, flipping off EA chargers. LUCID YOU HAVE A PR PROBLEM WITH YOU PARTNERSHIP WITH ELECTRIFY AMERIKA! at least I have solar but not so ok for people paying PGE through the nose. Wake up lucid (and Mercedes et al). Electrify America is 90% unreliable and there is not an alternate fuel service on every corner. In California charging is very difficult to almost impossible. Not good at all for the industry.. Crippling infact

Today at the EA in Rocklin CA people were FURIOUS. out of about 10 stations 2 or 3 were working. A woman pulled up on a beautiful Mercedes, tried a few and screamed "I hate my car.". I tried to explain it wasn't her car it was EA. Another lucid was there, owner on the phone trying to sell his car back to lucid because so impossible to charge, and yes Bob, like me 3 years of free juice means "I will not pay for it! This is just unacceptable." VW owns E A and it feels like they are single handedly trying to keep ICS cars in sales. Most of the expensive EVs come with some EA fast charging (no other chargers match the speed, promised anyway). EV owners are enraged, flipping off EA chargers. LUCID YOU HAVE A PR PROBLEM WITH YOU PARTNERSHIP WITH ELECTRIFY AMERIKA! at least I have solar but not so ok for people paying PGE through the nose. Wake up lucid (and Mercedes et al). Electrify America is 90% unreliable and there is not an alternate fuel service on every corner. In California charging is very difficult to almost impossible. Not good at all for the industry.. Crippling infact
This is one of Lucid's greatest concerns. It will be interesting to see how the next few years go with all of the changes taking place.

Yep. As I previously posted nearly 50% of the EA chargers within a 20 mile radius from were OOO over the holiday weekend. I didn’t even attempt to go to an EA station.

I’m curious if all these stations are down, why does that station has a PlugShare score of 10. Did everyone there leave a “could not charge” checkin? If you have issues at a charging station, please leave a “could not charge” check-in, whether it was broken hardware or the speed was just horrific.

of course, the lack of available charging stations is exactly why I bought a Lucid. With 500 miles of range, I can just skip a bad station and move on to the next. I feel sorry for those EV owners who only have 250 miles of range.

It would seem that a movement could be started to register complaints with the Federal govt. Are charging stations not regulated by an agency?

I mean, I wouldn't be holding my breath but I'd think someone in the agency would at least let EA know that EA could have another problem brewing with a federal agency, assuming they are receiving federal funding/incentives.

I’m curious if all these stations are down, why does that station has a PlugShare score of 10. Did everyone there leave a “could not charge” checkin? If you have issues at a charging station, please leave a “could not charge” check-in, whether it was broken hardware or the speed was just horrific.

of course, the lack of available charging stations is exactly why I bought a Lucid. With 500 miles of range, I can just skip a bad station and move on to the next. I feel sorry for those EV owners who only have 250 miles of range.
Most of the down stations reject even a connect

That’s because EA is a punishment forced upon VW group after their diesel scandal. EA is like VW saying “ok, ok, I’ll do it, here, happy?” 😂

I'm saddened to read this. My first "off the reservation" trip Philly to Seabrook, then Dartmouth, NH the only issues I faced at EA chargers were clueless folk (with Lucid range I just drove another 100 mi to the next charger). Got some of the fastest charging too...hit 322 kW in Seabrook. No pre-conditioning either. I wasn't sure I'd make it so did not want to waste electrons.

PXL_20230401_214453752.jpg

It's nice to have a home charger...I can't even remember the last time I was at a gas station.
PXL_20221220_205330602.jpg

Just got back from a ~ 200 mi round-trip to the Jersey shore. This morning, got up at 5AM and went to the EAs at the King of Prussia mall. Pulled 252 kW initially then settled to steady ~190 kW. Got 62 kWh in 27 min. This is a bank of chargers I saw the techs "fixing" a week ago...that charger is still out of service. Must be incredibility difficult to fix these things, or more likely, very easy to sabotage them.
PXL_20230628_165131169.jpg

I honestly think this is the exact reason Tesla will continue to demolish other EVs in sales. I know many people have had decent luck with EA but too many people are disgusted and frustrated. It’s heartbreaking because there are so many wonderful alternatives to Tesla. This will hopefully normalize in a few years but it will be a rough ride.

A couple months ago, I posted in the forum the suggestion to contact our legislators to make them aware of this horrible situation.
As I recall, one person responded positively.
Of course, I'm not privy to what goes on behind closed doors, but I'd think Lucid, MB, BMW, and all who sell EVs with an EA arrangement are obligated to speak up for their customers and demand corrective actions. And they may have already done that and possibly even more. Just not a whole lot of info in public arena that I've come across.
And frankly speaking, I might have made different decisions had I known.

Last edited:
I was surprised when I visited a relatively new bank of EA chargers a week after I saw a service tech working on it,
that the one he was working on was still "Out of Service".
Just how difficult are they to "repair" ?
Also, what makes them "break" ?
Perhaps he's "waiting for parts" ?

Can't you just throw a copper extension cord over the high tension lines and plug into the Wonderbox ? I mean ...
1688742129174.png
how hard can this be ?

Also: @EVCar .... Philly debuit their first horseless carriage 4 July
1688742321313.png
looks like your avatar

About to embark on my first Lucid Air road trip, starting tomorrow morning. We’ll be driving from San Diego CA to Denver CO, a one way-distance of approximately 1100 statute miles. We’ll be returning a week later.

So when I plug in my car and walk away, are others able to unplug the charger from my car while I’m gone? I ask because this is not the case when DCFCing with the other, much more ubiquitous EV brand and their eponymously branded “supercharging” network.

About to embark on my first Lucid Air road trip, starting tomorrow morning. We’ll be driving from San Diego CA to Denver CO, a one way-distance of approximately 1100 statute miles. We’ll be returning a week later.

So when I plug in my car and walk away, are others able to unplug the charger from my car while I’m gone? I ask because this is not the case when DCFCing with the other, much more ubiquitous EV brand and their eponymously branded “supercharging” network.
If you lock the car the charger gets locked too and shouldn't be able to be unplugged.

Interesting question. You can't unplug the charger unless the car is on. If it's locked and off, the charger is locked in. I didn't read the manual on that one and got really worried one night because I couldn't unplug it. But whenever we've used public chargers, we're actually in the car.

As others have mentioned, no one will be able to unplug your Lucid without first unlocking the car.

However, it could be a bit upsetting to see plugged-in fully-charged cars at public charging stations while others are waiting in line to charge. A lot of discussion around EA implementing idle fees to try to limit EV owners leaving their vehicles plugged in after charging is over.

As others have mentioned, no one will be able to unplug your Lucid without first unlocking the car.

However, it could be a bit upsetting to see plugged-in fully-charged cars at public charging stations while others are waiting in line to charge. A lot of discussion around EA implementing idle fees to try to limit EV owners leaving their vehicles plugged in after charging is over.

Oh, it’s almost the most annoying thing, seeing fully charged EVs sitting there uselessly, occupying a stall, with the owner nowhere to be found. My previous EV ownership experience was limited to three Teslas, one of which we still have. Quite wisely Tesla chose to take care of this “charger hogging” problem toute de suite, by instituting a dollar-a-minute Idle Charge, which would kick in after a five-minute grace period, if more than 50% of all stalls were occupied at a busy supercharger location. While there’s nothing preventing you from increasing your charge level on the Tesla app, so as not to have charging stop, the Idle Fee has been an effective “big stick” that deters EV drivers from leaving their cars in stalls long after charging has finished. For me, I find myself making my way back to my Tesla pretty smartly once I get that notification on my phone that “supercharging is almost complete”.

I do wish that Electrify America would enforce Idle Fees. It would cut down on the incidents such as the one @Bunnylebowski had to put up with the other day at an Electrify America charging station outside Palm Springs CA (Cabazon?). I got pretty worked up just reading his account of another EV owner’s complete lack of consideration for others. Just infuriating!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back