Charger FAQ/Explanation

The main reason I didn't wait (besides loving to have stuff early on) was so I could get it installed last year and qualify for the $1000 tax credit. Then assuming they come up with the V2H hardware/software this year, I will be able to hopefully again qualify for the $1000 tax credit for this year.

Looking for advice please. My Lucid EVSE just arrived. I’m am currently using my Tesla wall charger, and have solar panels. My goal is to eventually make use of the bidirectional charging ability of my Lucid to power my home. Should I pay now to swap out the Lucid EVSE for the Tesla unit, or wait until the bidirectional application hardware is also available? Is there a timeline on the latter? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I would wait because there's no promise when the bidirectional charging will be implemented. We don’t know what additional part numbers will be needed...

The main reason I didn't wait (besides loving to have stuff early on) was so I could get it installed last year and qualify for the $1000 tax credit. Then assuming they come up with the V2H hardware/software this year, I will be able to hopefully again qualify for the $1000 tax credit for this year.
That is good logic. I am following the same except...the more I look into the new tax credit law, the more confused I get. Right now, I am not sure I will qualify again because it looks like that $1,000 tax credit is now restricted to non urban areas. The Feds have put out a map that shows where those non urban areas are and even though we are way up by the Canadian border, in a little community of about 5,000, we are not a non urban area. Thus, I am not sure, but I think I may no longer quality under this new tax credit portion of the law. Thus, while I am enjoying the faster charging capabilities of the Lucid Charger, the tax credit savings for installation of the charger may elude me. Please, someone, tell me I am wrong and help get that tax credit for me... Click Here an article on this subject:

That is good logic. I am following the same except...the more I look into the new tax credit law, the more confused I get. Right now, I am not sure I will qualify again because it looks like that $1,000 tax credit is now restricted to non urban areas. The Feds have put out a map that shows where those non urban areas are and even though we are way up by the Canadian border, in a little community of about 5,000, we are not a non urban area. Thus, I am not sure, but I think I may no longer quality under this new tax credit portion of the law. Thus, while I am enjoying the faster charging capabilities of the Lucid Charger, the tax credit savings for installation of the charger may elude me. Please, someone, tell me I am wrong and help get that tax credit for me... Click Here an article on this subject:
I think that you are confusing residential charging with commercial charging. Commercial charges depend on location, residential do not. From the article:

For individual/residential uses, the tax credit remains unchanged at 30%, up to $1,000.

I think that you are confusing residential charging with commercial charging. Commercial charges depend on location, residential do not. From the article:

For individual/residential uses, the tax credit remains unchanged at 30%, up to $1,000.
Whoo Hoo!:)

I just want to say a big thank you to everyone that has been active here. I had a LOT of questions, but after reading through 13 pages of very good information... I'm good!

I had QMerit contractor come in, and he said my 200AMP setup 'may not' handle the 100AMP line for the Lucid charger effectively.
Reasons are that if I had all my heavy appliances running at the same time as well as my car being charged, my fuse could trip. I have three AC's, two dryers and a Range on 240volts
His recommendations were.
- Only charge at night.
-install some switching device that limits the charger based on home use (I will update with the name when I get the quote)
-Add a new panel for 5k (I'm not doing this)
-Install a 50AMP charger like ChargePoint
In any case he said he can install the Lucid Charger, so I'm going that way. If the 'switching' device is on my budget I may add that too.

I added pictures he used to make his decision for context.

Has anyone had a similar experience?
btw I'm tending towards the 100Amp charging because my utility is cheapest between 11am and 6am, and I plan to charge only between that time.

Attachments

• 20230315_123211.jpg
    20230315_123211.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
  • 20230315_123218.jpg
    20230315_123218.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 64
  • 20230315_123225.jpg
    20230315_123225.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 70
  • 20230315_123243.jpg
    20230315_123243.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 66
  • 20230315_123252.jpg
    20230315_123252.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 65
I had QMerit contractor come in, and he said my 200AMP setup 'may not' handle the 100AMP line for the Lucid charger effectively.
Reasons are that if I had all my heavy appliances running at the same time as well as my car being charged, my fuse could trip. I have three AC's, two dryers and a Range on 240volts
- Only charge at night.
-install some switching device that limits the charger based on home use (I will update with the name when I get the quote)
In any case he said he can install the Lucid Charger, so I'm going that way. If the 'switching' device is on my budget I may add that too.

btw I'm tending towards the 100Amp charging because my utility is cheapest between 11am and 6am, and I plan to charge only between that time.
I understand your goal to charge only during that window and save some money, but spending all of the extra $$$ on 100 amp charger and possibly a switching device seems to negate that benefit. Unless you are routinely running the car all the way down to zero before charging every day, a slower, lower amperage, charger should be sufficient. I have a 40 amp charger on a 50 amp circuit and it’s usually more than enough to charge the car in five hours. Those occasional times when it is really low, and in your case charges at the higher rate electricity, would be few and far between. No?

L
- Only charge at night.

i have 150amp service to my townhouse with two HVAC systems with AC on electric and one dryer. Everything else is gas (heat, range , hot water. ). I have successfully charged with the Lucid charger at the full 80 watts with both AC units and dryer running. I’ve had my charger since mid December and so far no issues. YMMV

- Only charge at night.

The electrician should perform a load calculation for submittal with the permit. My electrician did that and provided me with options on what size circuit is compatible with my panel and the installation options. I elected to go with a 70 A circuit breaker, Lucid Home charger operating at 56 A. This was the largest wire that would fit in a 3/4" conduit. No panel change. Rewired two existing circuit breakers to have enough room to install the 70 A breaker.

- Only charge at night.

Here are some numbers to put what you have/want in context. The Grand Touring has a 100kWh battery pack; the Touring a little less. If you charge at 20% to 80% for the GT, that would take a little over 6 hours using a 40A charger (hardwired or plugged into a NEMA 14-50 receptacle). If you hardwire a 48A charger, you cut the time by 20%; if you use the Lucid charger, you cut that time in half. Unless you only sleep 3 hours/night, you don't gain much with a Lucid charger IMO. Of course, in an emergency, the Lucid charger may bail you out. With the Lucid charger, you will more than double your installation costs - more for the charger and way more for the wiring. That big #3 or #2 doesn't bend easily.

Here are some numbers to put what you have/want in context. The Grand Touring has a 100kWh battery pack; the Touring a little less. If you charge at 20% to 80% for the GT, that would take a little over 6 hours using a 40A charger (hardwired or plugged into a NEMA 14-50 receptacle). If you hardwire a 48A charger, you cut the time by 20%; if you use the Lucid charger, you cut that time in half. Unless you only sleep 3 hours/night, you don't gain much with a Lucid charger IMO. Of course, in an emergency, the Lucid charger may bail you out. With the Lucid charger, you will more than double your installation costs - more for the charger and way more for the wiring. That big #3 or #2 doesn't bend easily.
Thanks for this. I also didn't put the higher installation costs into consideration, I will ask for a quote for that as well and compare.

- Only charge at night.

fwiw .. I installed a hardwired Chargepoint on a 60A breaker (=48A draw); which I've found to be plenty for home/overnight charging. Unless you are always taking long road trips, you shouldn't be charging past 80% or so (for daily driving) .. I only charge it when it's down in the 50% range (or lower) .. from 50-80%, my Chargepoint usually takes ~3 hrs ... good luck!

For charging overnight, 40 amp is fine. While moving to 80 amp certainly speeds up charging, I did it for the eventual V2H functionality whenever it's available.

I will add, 80 amp has been handy for my wife charging her Model S in the morning when she forgets to plug it in at night. It can pull 72 amps so 20-80% is done before lunch.

For charging overnight, 40 amp is fine. While moving to 80 amp certainly speeds up charging, I did it for the eventual V2H functionality whenever it's available.

I will add, 80 amp has been handy for my wife charging her Model S in the morning when she forgets to plug it in at night. It can pull 72 amps so 20-80% is done before lunch.
fwiw .. I installed a hardwired Chargepoint on a 60A breaker (=48A draw); which I've found to be plenty for home/overnight charging. Unless you are always taking long road trips, you shouldn't be charging past 80% or so (for daily driving) .. I only charge it when it's down in the 50% range (or lower) .. from 50-80%, my Chargepoint usually takes ~3 hrs ... good luck!
Thanks for all the input. I will most likely be going with the Lucid 100amp charger. I know I will have a few days when I will need an emergency charge, also future proofing too if/when I get the gravity.
The quotes I receive will also help with the decision, and its good to know I have a good option with the 48amp

Does this look suspiciously high?4.5k to install a charger? I've seen much lower quotes for Qmerit or is this the price to install the 100AMP charger?

1678976823365.png

I'm guessing that the installation costs vary by area, difficulty (and length) of electrical wiring, etc. .. but it does seem pretty expensive (I think I paid ~10% of that for my Chargepoint installation last year)

Does this look suspiciously high?4.5k to install a charger? I've seen much lower quotes for Qmerit or is this the price to install the 100AMP charger?

View attachment 10580

View attachment 10580
Do you really need 100 Amp to charge your car overnight? I would get another quote.

I'm guessing that the installation costs vary by area, difficulty (and length) of electrical wiring, etc. .. but it does seem pretty expensive (I think I paid ~10% of that for my Chargepoint installation last year)
Yes I think its crazy too, my panel is just above my garage so I don't believe its the length. I also have my generator wired from my garage right beside the panel, which is probably about 20-30ft of wire run. I will probably look for a third party

Yes I think its crazy too, my panel is just above my garage so I don't believe its the length. I also have my generator wired from my garage right beside the panel, which is probably about 20-30ft of wire run. I will probably look for a third party
It's always a good idea to get a few quotes. Beyond any price differences, it's useful to hear the thoughts and ideas of three individuals on the best installation.
If you think you might want to use the Air for home backup in the future, the 100-amp circuit (3AWG and 100A breaker) is a good idea.

Back