Charger FAQ/Explanation

This is good. Thanks for this chart. The Lucid Connected Home Charging Station Guide specifically states, in the worst possible way:
(please give me a moment to find a third pair of reading glasses and 128kV powered light source to read this microsocpic type:

"page 16:

Refer to the following wire specification. Use a conductor type other than RHH, RHW, and RHW-2 with outer covering."

Then is has a "thing" that means nothing to anyone...too stupid for a pro and too obscure for a lay person. "Rating 90 degree copper wire".

90 degrees Kelvin ?

WTF

Could we please use the units that the entire universe uses ? Fuck metric tonnes and ergs per slug. I don't give a gill.

thanks to all trying to explain why I need to worry. much appreciated.

This is good. Thanks for this chart. The Lucid Connected Home Charging Station Guide specifically states, in the worst possible way:
(please give me a moment to find a third pair of reading glasses and 128kV powered light source to read this microsocpic type:

"page 16:
Refer to the following wire specification. Use a conductor type other than RHH, RHW, and RHW-2 with outer covering."

Then is has a "thing" that means nothing to anyone...too stupid for a pro and too obscure for a lay person. "Rating 90 degree copper wire".

90 degrees Kelvin ?

WTF

Could we please use the units that the entire universe uses ? Fuck metric tonnes and ergs per slug. I don't give a gill.

thanks to all trying to explain why I need to worry. much appreciated.
Default temp rating of cables is in C even in th US. They mean 90 deg C. Perhaps their writing is by the software engineers -- what to expect.....

Default temp rating of cables is in C even in th US. They mean 90 deg C. Perhaps their writing is by the software engineers -- what to expect.....
I know. I and about 200 other Amerikans know this. In Amerika, we intentionally use every unit of measurement, all the time.

What could go wrong?
run out of gas ?

not rocket science

Tell bosrski: "Betty Boop" vs LSMFT ? Which image charges you up ?
1670363793786.png
L
1670363995435.png
LSMFT charger: get a jolt.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the price of a spare Lucid charge cable? It looks pretty slick with the wall mount and cable loop/hook. I am tempted to wait until Lucid adds a timer to their app for scheduled charging. If it's $300 or less, that's cheaper than a "knock-off" Level 2 charger and less than half the price of a ChargePoint Home Flex. Also, one less hassle of having to wake up the Lucid, then wake up the ChargePoint. Oh, and one less app!

Does anyone know the price of a spare Lucid charge cable? It looks pretty slick with the wall mount and cable loop/hook. I am tempted to wait until Lucid adds a timer to their app for scheduled charging. If it's $300 or less, that's cheaper than a "knock-off" Level 2 charger and less than half the price of a ChargePoint Home Flex. Also, one less hassle of having to wake up the Lucid, then wake up the ChargePoint. Oh, and one less app!
Either of these should work, but not $300:

The hot new item from Europe, with various plug adapters coming along at a future date:
The good 'ol American standby:

I know. I and about 200 other Amerikans know this. In Amerika, we intentionally use every unit of measurement, all the time.
Side question, do you have problems with proper spelling America/Americans?

Why do you need a spare? You can use the one provided with the car.

Why do you need a spare? You can use the one provided with the car.
Instead of buying a ChargePoint or Juice Box, I would mount the Lucid spare (portable) charging cable on my garage wall, then leave it permanently plugged into a 14-50 receptacle. The cable that comes with the car stays in the car for out-of-town trips. I'm hoping the Lucid spare cable will be price-wise comparable or cheaper than the ChargePoint or Juice Box but more importantly it would alleviate another app and another "handshake" between the Lucid and the ChargePoint to wake it up for scheduled charging. Of course, this is predicated on Lucid developing the software update to allow scheduled charging.

Instead of buying a ChargePoint or Juice Box, I would mount the Lucid spare (portable) charging cable on my garage wall, then leave it permanently plugged into a 14-50 receptacle. The cable that comes with the car stays in the car for out-of-town trips. I'm hoping the Lucid spare cable will be price-wise comparable or cheaper than the ChargePoint or Juice Box but more importantly it would alleviate another app and another "handshake" between the Lucid and the ChargePoint to wake it up for scheduled charging. Of course, this is predicated on Lucid developing the software update to allow scheduled charging.
Unless you make lots of out of town trips, you can do this with the provided cable. Just unplug and stow in car when you go out of town. I would have done that if the cable was 24' instead of 20'.

Unless you make lots of out of town trips, you can do this with the provided cable. Just unplug and stow in car when you go out of town. I would have done that if the cable was 24' instead of 20'.
I almost slapped myself in the forehead asking "Why didn't I think of that?" Until your last word. I went and measured and I am in the same boat as you. So the spare Lucid charging cable won't work for me either. I need at least 23' so I will be perusing the Internet. The Autel MaxiCharger AC Home 50A has a 25' cable so I'm leaning towards it. Carries a 3-year warranty. I have experience using Autel testers and like their quality, too.

I almost slapped myself in the forehead asking "Why didn't I think of that?" Until your last word. I went and measured and I am in the same boat as you. So the spare Lucid charging cable won't work for me either. I need at least 23' so I will be perusing the Internet. The Autel MaxiCharger AC Home 50A has a 25' cable so I'm leaning towards it. Carries a 3-year warranty. I have experience using Autel testers and like their quality, too.
Clipper Creek has some portable units with 25' cable too:

I think this resource is especially helpful:

As I understand the NEC temperature rating, both breakers and the wire need to be considered (as the heat conducts). I understand most home breakers are rated at most 75C. And anyway we is comfortable with a circuit designed to run up to 90C (194F) ?
Yes correct. If you use 90C cable, the 75C CB and installed in the same room, the latter will almost always be the limiting factor. However, for example, if the cable runs up in an attic thats warmer than the garage, it may need to be deratered. If now the cable is 90C it may still not be the limiting factor. Thus, an advantage. Also no matter what, a 90C cable may hold up a little better long term at the ends at the lugs. Note that for using a 90C cable doesnt mean we run it at 90C snd by far not. The cable can withstand 90C at its Ampacity current but we never run the circuit at this current.

Clipper Creek has some portable units with 25' cable too:
I just bought the Autel Maxicharger through Buydig. Using the JOLLY15 code, delivered to me for $410 (tax included). $287 after 30% EVSE tax credit. Nevada offers zippo credit for EV stuff unless you're below the poverty level. Who in the hell below poverty level can afford any EV of any brand is beyond me, but those are the geniuses that we have here.

OK looks like nobody knows what they are talking about. I just looked up "100 amp wire" and discovered that goes from 4 AWG (barely good for Christmas Tree lights) to 0 AGW (correct size for long run to garage and 80 amp charging). But to confuse things, people (like LUCID) say things like " to be ready for the LSMFT you'll need a 100 amp wire. " That is bullshit. WTF is "100 amp wire"?

to be ready for the LuckyStrikeMeansFineTobacco charger you'll need to know how long the wire will be and how many amps you will pull. Don't trust your electrician to do this for you, as he has never seen a Lucid before. Do your own research. Never trust a pro.

Also, what size lugs do I want ? I don't trust electricians now. I'm going to do all of the work myself.

I think we're going to need a bigger boat

Okay. I remember the Lucky Strike hit parade tv show with that saying in the commercials. But I am very old. You must be too!!😃

Looking for advice please. My Lucid EVSE just arrived. I’m am currently using my Tesla wall charger, and have solar panels. My goal is to eventually make use of the bidirectional charging ability of my Lucid to power my home. Should I pay now to swap out the Lucid EVSE for the Tesla unit, or wait until the bidirectional application hardware is also available? Is there a timeline on the latter? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Looking for advice please. My Lucid EVSE just arrived. I’m am currently using my Tesla wall charger, and have solar panels. My goal is to eventually make use of the bidirectional charging ability of my Lucid to power my home. Should I pay now to swap out the Lucid EVSE for the Tesla unit, or wait until the bidirectional application hardware is also available? Is there a timeline on the latter? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I would wait until you can have all the equipment and details available. Then you can do a single installation.

Wait.

Back