Charger FAQ/Explanation

I am planning on getting the 14-50 installed. We need about 50 feet of wire or lesser. Where did you buy the wire ?

Would a 50. Amp breaker be good or 60 be better ?
My install was 875 and it was all inclusive with wires for a 60amp circuit.
The breaker doesn't matter 50/60 are the same. When mine was done they were out of 60 so they put in a 50 amp breaker, which I used for a month+ and was drawing 48A. The breaker was replaced last week and no difference.

My install was 875 and it was all inclusive with wires for a 60amp circuit.
The breaker doesn't matter 50/60 are the same. When mine was done they were out of 60 so they put in a 50 amp breaker, which I used for a month+ and was drawing 48A. The breaker was replaced last week and no difference.
If you're drawing 48 amps out of a 14-50 receptacle, that is a definite no-no. 48 amps hardwired into a charger rated for such with appropriate sized conductors is totally legit.

If you're drawing 48 amps out of a 14-50 receptacle, that is a definite no-no. 48 amps hardwired into a charger rated for such with appropriate sized conductors is totally legit.
Correct. Mine is hardwired to the charger. My example was showing that the breaker size is less important, what matters is the circuit and wire size.

Per NEC, 50A breaker is the largest that you can use. Maximum current is 80% of that (40A). That’s why the Lucid charger is rated for 40A max.
And for the hardwire. What type would be the best one to pull from my basement to my garage

Correct. Mine is hardwired to the charger. My example was showing that the breaker size is less important, what matters is the circuit and wire size.
What would be the appropriate circuit and wire size ? Because I have a person who set up my uncle's Tesla charger at his place. He was going to set it up with a 30 amp. I read somewhere it might not work with the wall lucid charger

What would be the appropriate circuit and wire size ? Because I have a person who set up my uncle's Tesla charger at his place. He was going to set it up with a 30 amp. I read somewhere it might not work with the wall lucid charger
Your questions are a little confusing. If you're looking to install the charger that came in the trunk of the Lucid, there is no option to hard-wire it to your house nor would you want to. Your best option is to install a 50A breaker in the panel, run appropriate-sized wiring (#6 for runs of under 100', ground wire can be smaller and usually is) and install a 14-50 receptacle. That will allow you to charge at 40A, the maximum that the Lucid charger can provide. I would not go with a 30A setup unless your current power panel can't support the additional amperage. The 14-30 receptacle will only allow you to charge at 24 amps (80% rule), so you will only use 60% of the Lucid charger's capabilities.

Your questions are a little confusing. If you're looking to install the charger that came in the trunk of the Lucid, there is no option to hard-wire it to your house nor would you want to. Your best option is to install a 50A breaker in the panel, run appropriate-sized wiring (#6 for runs of under 100', ground wire can be smaller and usually is) and install a 14-50 receptacle. That will allow you to charge at 40A, the maximum that the Lucid charger can provide. I would not go with a 30A setup unless your current power panel can't support the additional amperage. The 14-30 receptacle will only allow you to charge at 24 amps (80% rule), so you will only use 60% of the Lucid charger's capabilities.
Cost difference between a 30A and 50A breaker is less than $10; however, the cost difference between #10 and #6 can be $50 or more. Well worth it for the additional 67% increase in charging speed.

Wall charger vs the mobile charger that came with the car. Two very different things with different electrical requirements.

I am planning on getting the 14-50 installed. We need about 50 feet of wire or lesser. Where did you buy the wire ?

Would a 50. Amp breaker be good or 60 be better ?
Just keep in mind the shorter the wire length, the lower the degradation of the current to your charger.

Sorry for the confusion. Kinda new for me and I lack electrical knowledge.

Currently I have a 14-30R , 30 amp plug. And plug that came with the car doesn't fit into that as it needs a 14-50r.

I considered two options, one is to get a convertor for the plug. I don't know if that would work. I thought I read that it might not work because of a code error I read somewhere. https://www.amazon.com/AOWEITOUR-Ad...cphy=9004605&hvtargid=pla-1879957250582&psc=1

Or second option is to install a new outlet. In the garage. I read the industrial 14-50R outlets are better. Now my questions were for what wire and breaker I'd need to pull from the electric panel in the basement to the garage to install outlet.

Currently I have a 14-30R , 30 amp plug. And plug that came with the car doesn't fit into that as it needs a 14-50r.

I considered two options, one is to get a convertor for the plug. I don't know if that would work. I thought I read that it might not work because of a code error I read somewhere. https://www.amazon.com/AOWEITOUR-Ad...cphy=9004605&hvtargid=pla-1879957250582&psc=1

Or second option is to install a new outlet. In the garage. I read the industrial 14-50R outlets are better. Now my questions were for what wire and breaker I'd need to pull from the electric panel in the basement to the garage to install outlet.
Lucid has a 14-30 plug for the mobile charger on their online store. That way the charger will pull the correct current. Otherwise you will have to replace the plug and wire for a 50 amp circuit.

I Never noticed a plug in the store. I tried and couldn't find it online.
Lucid has a 14-30 plug for the mobile charger on their online store. That way the charger will pull the correct current. Otherwise you will have to replace the plug and wire for a 50 amp cir

It should be here:

but I am having an issue with the Lucid Store site to open right now

It should be here:

but I am having an issue with the Lucid Store site to open right now
Thanks but it says cannot find item now. Maybe they stopped selling this ?

That is weird. Wonder what happened to it? Perhaps you could call the studio or customer service And ask. They used to sell it.

Install 50A breaker in the panel, run #6/3 Romex to 14-50R receptacle (UL approved, industrial-rated not needed IMO unless you plan to plug and unplug a lot). Install the bracket for the Lucid charger, plug it in and leave it. Ask yourself where would you ever use it outside your home, like where the heck would you find a 14-50 receptacle to plug into? #6 assuming run less than 100’.

Install 50A breaker in the panel, run #6/3 Romex to 14-50R receptacle (UL approved, industrial-rated not needed IMO unless you plan to plug and unplug a lot). Install the bracket for the Lucid charger, plug it in and leave it. Ask yourself where would you ever use it outside your home, like where the heck would you find a 14-50 receptacle to plug into? #6 assuming run less than 100’.

Back