Another front license plate question

fyellin

Verified Owner
Cars
Grand Touring
I’ve seen lots of questions about front license plates and alternatives, but I haven’t heard anyone ask the basic question. Why do so many Lucid (and Tesla) drivers not want a front plate?

Is it purely aesthetics? Or does it somehow affect the range or acceleration of the car?

My DA has asked me whether I want the holes or not, and I haven’t yet answered her.

@fyellin - yeah, it's aesthetics... Nobody really wants to drill those holes if they can help it. I've given in and had the front of our Teslas drilled and front plates mounted in the past, but for the Lucid I'm strongly leaning toward not drilling. I see so many vehicles around without the front plate lately, it seems like that law is not being very seriously enforced here in Seattle.

I’ve seen lots of questions about front license plates and alternatives, but I haven’t heard anyone ask the basic question. Why do so many Lucid (and Tesla) drivers not want a front plate?

Is it purely aesthetics? Or does it somehow affect the range or acceleration of the car?

My DA has asked me whether I want the holes or not, and I haven’t yet answered her.
You live in CA therefore you can opt to put on the license wrap decal which is legal in our state. Main reason is people don't like the interruption of the smooth surface with a bulging piece of plastic housing the metal front plate. The license wrap doesn't require any holes to be drilled and does not upset the flow of the front bumper.

IIRC the Tesla 2021-on front bracket is stuck on with some kind of adhesive, rather than drilled? Is that an option for the Air?

My 968 has a tow-hook plate mount, but I'm sure I read in another thread that this would potentially disrupt airflow. There's also this guy but I don't think it would work.

@fyellin - yeah, it's aesthetics... Nobody really wants to drill those holes if they can help it. I've given in and had the front of our Teslas drilled and front plates mounted in the past, but for the Lucid I'm strongly leaning toward not drilling. I see so many vehicles around without the front plate lately, it seems like that law is not being very seriously enforced here in Seattle.

Pretty much the same situation. I put plates on both of my Teslas.

My one hesitation is that I drive to San Francisco about twice a month. Other postings in this forum seem to claim that SF cops *love* to ticket parked cars withot plates.

I wished there were a bolt-less solution. . . .

My one hesitation is that I drive to San Francisco about twice a month. Other postings in this forum seem to claim that SF cops *love* to ticket parked cars withot plates.

Hang on, are you in CA? If so, you can (legally) use the license plate wrap: https://licenseplatewrap.com/

Licenseplatewrap.com

Here in N.Y. you are 'required' to have a front plate, but it's a seldom enforced law. I haven't used one on my i4 and have passed countless cops who just don't bother. Almost nobody gets pulled over for not having that front plate unless there was another infraction of a more serious nature.

It makes me wonder though in states like N.Y., are you better off without any front plate or are you in for a more serious infraction with a license plate wrap?

I can attest to this having received a ticket in SF when my front license plate fell off.

I just received my front license plate wrap in the mail. I tried rtff, but couldn't find a single image that would help me with precise placement of the license plate. I'm thinking it should be centered vertically on the front white panel (eg. neither at the top nor at the bottom) and centered horizontally using the two front sensors for measurement purposes. Any ideas? Even better, any photos?

Lucid with front sticker plate.png

I just received my front license plate wrap in the mail. I tried rtff, but couldn't find a single image that would help me with precise placement of the license plate. I'm thinking it should be centered vertically on the front white panel (eg. neither at the top nor at the bottom) and centered horizontally using the two front sensors for measurement purposes. Any ideas? Even better, any photos?
The Costa Mesa Service center mounted my licenseplatewrap. It looks perfectly centered. They did it but with great reluctance. They might be more willing to do it now.

I think Lucid did a great job with their front plate mount. It sits pretty flush and doesn't look like an afterthought.

Agree - I’d rather not have it but, given that’s not an option, at least it looks pretty intentional.

The Costa Mesa Service center mounted my licenseplatewrap. It looks perfectly centered. They did it but with great reluctance. They might be more willing to do it now.
Actually, I have my first appointment at Costa Mesa on Wednesday, so I'll bring the wrap and politely beg them. If I had read this earlier:
Agree - I’d rather not have it but, given that’s not an option, at least it looks pretty intentional.
I might have just gotten the front plates. I'll send a pic once it's on. Thanks for the help.

Great, I will take mine to them or maybe the guy who did my ppf? Did they charge you at Costa Mesa?

I can attest that the City of Santa Ana CA tickets for no front plate at a whopping $122. I was so pissed as I hadn't even gotten my plates yet. I am contesting it, no update yet. I am currently waiting for my decal plate.

Great, I will take mine to them or maybe the guy who did my ppf? Did they charge you at Costa Mesa?

I convinced the Costa Mesa SC to put on the front wrap, but in attempting it, they tore it. They say that Lucid is working on finding a third party for PPF and other with like license plate wraps, but nothing is in hand now. They're paying to replace my license plate wrap and contacting the company directly to arrange it.

Back