• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Front Plate Poll - Will You Be Placing A Front Plate Frame?

Will You Be (or Did You) Placing A Front Plate Frame On Your Lucid Air?

• Yes - Front Plate Attached

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • No - Front Plate Not Attached

Votes: 33 50.0%
  • Trying Sticker Plate For Front Instead

Votes: 10 15.2%

• Total voters

rbbarry

I've seen a lot of discussion around many folks not wanting to put the front plate on their Lucid Air. I asked my DA about this and he said its about 50/50 of people deciding not to mount the plates on the front. Curious if that ratio is the same here in this forum.

The sticker plate option discussed in this forum seems like it would only work in California?

Regrettably I’ll need a real plate in NY. I almost never see NY registered cars with no plate, so assume they do enforce. Also anything other that the official NY plate could be considered “counterfeit” which seems like it would have a worse penalty than no plate at all.

Regrettably I’ll need a real plate in NY. I almost never see NY registered cars with no plate, so assume they do enforce. Also anything other that the official NY plate could be considered “counterfeit” which seems like it would have a worse penalty than no plate at all.
Same here. I have been stopped in Illinois years ago for not having a front plate. I do not wish to tempt fate.

You may want to update your poll to reflect that some states do not require front plates and answering "No - Front Plate Not Attached", will not give you the results you are trying to check for.

Yes, I will be installing so as not to tempt fate. Texas law requires that every vehicle maintain a license plate in the front and rear of the vehicle. The current fine for failing to display a front license plate in Texas is $200.00.

You may want to update your poll to reflect that some states do not require front plates and answering "No - Front Plate Not Attached", will not give you the results you are trying to check for.
ehhh, too late now, right?

My DA told me it was 50/50 for people in NY state going with the front plate.

Put my plates on today. Honestly, the front plate looks pretty good. The mount looks like part of the car and not slapped on afterwards.

I registered my car in Florida where I spend 5 months or so and will drive it up north next month (where it might stay - I haven’t decided). But since it has Florida plates, I don’t need a front plate in CT or NY.

I haven’t had a plate on either my first Tesla or my Z8 in New York. I have gotten one warning in about he last 12 years

I am looking for other mounting options, such as hide-a-plate etc. I am in Texas, but find the front plate ugly as heck. I have not had a front plate on my corvette the last 2 years and no issues.

I’ve never understood the aversion to front plates. They tend to look fine to me. In the case of the Model 3/Y, they actually help cover up the awkward front bumper.

The Lucid’s front does look quite nice without it, but I don’t see it being ugly with it, either.

Now, if we could have European-style plates, sign me up.

In Illinois EVs have a special license plate

I would put in on the front so more people know it’s an EV.

It is required in Washinton State, so I will be installing one, even though I would prefer not to.
Sigh!

No front plate required…one of few advantages to living in Pennsyltucky…

I've changed my mind and will put my sticker on this weekend. Have a road trip planned into SF next week and just don't want to take the risk

I've seen a lot of discussion around many folks not wanting to put the front plate on their Lucid Air. I asked my DA about this and he said its about 50/50 of people deciding not to mount the plates on the front. Curious if that ratio is the same here in this forum.

The sticker plate option discussed in this forum seems like it would only work in California?
I ordered a sticker plate to use in lieu of the hard plate for my Texas plates. They are virtually indistinguishable from the metal plate unless you have a very discerning eye. After exhaustive research, I could not find any statute that strictly prohibits the sticker plate. Texas plates are like currency, such that it includes embedded holographic images and the sticker plates have that as well as the bar coding that is on my metal plate.

I ordered from here: https://customlicenseplates.us/

I found this thread so interesting I decided to research if sticker license plates are legal in Washingto State, inwhich I live. Alas, they are not.
RCW 46.16A.200
License plates.
(5)
(b) The Washington state patrol may grant exceptions to this subsection if the body construction of the vehicle makes compliance with this section impossible.
(7) Unlawful acts. It is unlawful to:
(a) Display a license plate or plates on the front or rear of any vehicle that were not issued by the director for the vehicle;

However, as seen above, the State Patrol can grant and exception (see section 5b). According to an article in our local paper (Bellingham Herald): Using the word “impossible” sounds like a nearly insurmountable barrier. However, the law defines “impossible” in this context as “there was nothing made by the manufacturer ... which would allow the license plate to be affixed to the vehicle ...”
Read more at: https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/traffic/rules-of-the-road/article248856249.html#storylink=cpy

Thus, I need to decide if making the appeal to the State Police is worth the effort. Sigh!

I found this thread so interesting I decided to research if sticker license plates are legal in Washingto State, inwhich I live. Alas, they are not.
RCW 46.16A.200
License plates.
(5)
(b) The Washington state patrol may grant exceptions to this subsection if the body construction of the vehicle makes compliance with this section impossible.
(7) Unlawful acts. It is unlawful to:
(a) Display a license plate or plates on the front or rear of any vehicle that were not issued by the director for the vehicle;

However, as seen above, the State Patrol can grant and exception (see section 5b). According to an article in our local paper (Bellingham Herald): Using the word “impossible” sounds like a nearly insurmountable barrier. However, the law defines “impossible” in this context as “there was nothing made by the manufacturer ... which would allow the license plate to be affixed to the vehicle ...”
Read more at: https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/traffic/rules-of-the-road/article248856249.html#storylink=cpy

Thus, I need to decide if making the appeal to the State Police is worth the effort. Sigh!
As a thought, maybe asking for forgiveness rather than permission may be the way to go. :). Truthfully, the sticker plate, includes photos of screws and the like. Or if you go the route to ask for permission one argument that could be made is the attachment of the front license plate causes drag which reduces efficiency of the vehicle.

Reactions: DJL
90CCE1CE-ED66-4DBA-AC9D-8D5EDC5F2454.jpeg

Back