My $456.67 mis-adventure on a big road trip.

chris

Verified Owner
Cars
2023 Lucid Air Pure AWD
Referral Code
KDGO18C2
So as some of you saw here, we took a 4500 mile road trip with my Lucid Pure in December. Our trip down to Arizona (Sun City in our case) was flawless-- no lines at EA stations, always able to charge-- essentially the posterchild of what one would come to expect with a new car. While in AZ, all the day trips went really well too (including going to/From Sun City/Tucson)

Fast forward to our drive home back to Chicago. We were on I17 heading north, just past the 1st rest stop on I17 and a dump truck in front of flung some rocks from the top down (it was overfull) We figured we escaped injury since the windshield was fine but suddenly we get this error message pop up on the screen about unable to judge front distance. Meanwhile the car drove fine and cruise control still worked so we just kept driving. Once we got to Flagstaff EA we looked all around the car and finally found the problem! I rock managed to hit a front bumper 'sonar' sensor just perfectly center punching it! What are the odds? Its our rotten dumb luck essentially!

Anyway, Since the car drove fine still, we continued our journey home. Essentially self-parking was disabled due to lack of sensor and we no longer were able to get a distance warning on objects in front as we pulled into a parking spot so not the end of the world.

I actually texted my SA and even though it was a Saturday (Dec 30th) he responded telling me he'll find out what it will cost and if the sensor has to get sent off for paint or not on Wednesday when he is back at work (he wasn't at work on Saturday). That was crazy nice of him to respond to me on his day off btw!

So now when we got home and I called my insurance (State Farm) and found out it was covered under comprehensive. We have zero deductible on comprehensive so it was just going to be a time thing to get addressed. So then I texted my SA again (it was Wednesday at this point) and he told me the good news about how the sensor is already available in factory colors so Lucid can do the sensor replacement. Meanwhile State Farm said they only work directly with body shops unless Lucid wanted to work directly with them (which my SA said would not happen). I got the estimate from my SA at Lucid and sent it in but State Farm determined based on the same photos I sent to Lucid that it should cost $227 to fix/replace the sensor and promptly issued me a check. After many phone calls later and fights with State Farm about it, I got them to revise their pay out to almost the total! State Farm was $4.82 off but at that point I wasn't going to fight it.

Anyway, Lucid was great and even though it was primarily self-pay (not a warranty issue) they provided me a loaner (a GT) and fixed that along with addressing 2 warranty issues; a passenger side door wind noise issue (turned out to be a window seal that had to be readjusted) and they performed a TSB on a squeak the trunk was making upon opening.

I would have had $50 a day coverage for a rental car up to 30 days with State Farm but it was much nicer having another Lucid for a loaner instead I have to admit!

So in conclusion, everything was fixed and in the grand scheme of things the trip was a great success and the sensor issue was a freak thing that certainly wasn't any fault of Lucid!

I'm attaching the photos of the damage btw. And oh, the majority of the cost was labor to replace it.. The sensor itself was just shy of $34 in case anyone was wondering!

I had asked for the old sensor back as I might include it in an art piece of our travels. I was allowed to get it back since it was customer pay :) (last photo is of the old broken sensor)

Its certainly interesting to note that nothing works with regards to distance determination or self-park when only one sensor fails! Obviously this can happen to ANY car with these sensors in the bumper and it's not exclusive to Lucid.

Attachments

• sensordamageC.jpg
    sensordamageC.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
  • sensorbumperdamageB.jpg
    sensorbumperdamageB.jpg
    940.2 KB · Views: 76
  • sensorbumperdamageA.jpg
    sensorbumperdamageA.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 76
  • brokensensor.jpg
    brokensensor.jpg