What does everyone think of one-pedal driving in EVs?

KurisuAya

Verified Owner
I've seen some discussions about it in the comments of other posts but I wanted to gauge what everyone's opinion on one-pedal driving. While I understand the convenience factor, I am personally not a fan due to the efficiency loss from being unable to coast (technically, you can still coast but it takes a lot more effort and is not as intuitive).

This was posted on one of the other threads here -
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...rily-the-most-efficient-way-of-driving-an-ev/

I'm coming from an Audi e-tron and it functions similarly to the Porsche system mentioned in the article. And it is absolutely amazing for efficiency!
The rule of thumb is that regenerative braking is only about 70-80% efficient. The priority for reducing speed at any time should be coasting > regen braking > physical braking.

And the Audi/Porsche system does just that -
Going down a hill? Lift off the pedal and the system applies just enough regen to maintain speed
Want to slow down on a freeway with no one in front of you? No regen braking, just coast until you reach the speed you want
Someone in front of you? It uses the front radar used for adaptive cruise control to apply regen to get you down to their speed and then turns of regen to continue coasting

The few cases it doesn't cover -
It will never come to a complete stop even if the car in front of you stops - no idea why it is this way considering the ACC system can bring the car to a stop. Shouldn't be a big deal to implement it in software and give users the option they prefer
It has a limit on how hard it can regen brake - if the car in front of you slows down faster than that, you'll have to hit the brakes yourself (which are blended and can apply more regen before having to go to the physical brakes)
It cannot stop at a red light or stop sign if you are in the front - something that can hopefully be solved by software in the future with parts of self driving tech that detects stop signs and red lights.

Now while you can coast on a one-pedal system, it involves meticulously keeping the accelerator pedal right in between that regen and power zone. I've found it to be a lot of effort to do this on the Lucid but well worth the efficiency boost in my not-very-scientific test. I saw an increase from 3.1 mi/kWh to 3.6 mi/kWh on a few loops of my commute. I'll keep at it and report back... hopefully with pictures next time 😁

For reference, my efficiency over ~14000 miles on my e-tron is about 2.3 mi/kWh which puts it around the EPA rated range of the car. And I've never once thought about my air conditioning losses or reducing my speed (usually go 85mph on highways).

I personally would love to see more options for the user in future EVs instead of everyone defaulting to similar one-pedal systems. It's the best part of having a computer on wheels, let the software do what it does best - letting us decide how we want to use it.

What do y'all think? Do you like/dislike one-pedal driving? Have you tried the Audi/Porsche system? Do any other EVs do things differently?

This is my first EV. So I can't compare. But I absolutely love it. I'm over 14k in under 6 months of ownership and it's to the point where I get frustrated if I'm driving my girlfriend's suv and have to use the brake. If you are concerned with maintaining speed/coasting downhill, is the ACC not sufficient?

I certainly have not owned an Audi etron but test drive was ok. Owned an A7 for 7 yrs so I know VW to some degree. The reason I did not further consider Audi or Porsche for that matter is that the range is low to the point of making it an around town car. Efficiency aside, if you cant get out on the road and drive half a day without worrying about your energy consumption, what‘s the point?
In my opinion you are overthinking this. I have found 1-pedal driving to be perfect and it is something I would miss if not available. I easily get 400 miles out of a full charge on a trip and dont worry about the condition of the next charger. I just go.

I've only had the car for about 3 weeks, but I absolutely love 1-pedal driving. It takes a little practice to develop the touch, but it's so intuitive that I soon found myself simply thinking "slow down" and it's like the car just responds. I'm not sure about the efficiency difference relative to coasting. I'd have to see some modeling of it. My guess is that it would be heavily scenario dependent and end up in a coin toss. For me, the simplicity and responsiveness of 1-pedal trumps that potential.

I'm confused a little, you claim it's more efficient but isn't the Lucid more efficient than the Audi or Porsche without needing to coast? Or did I miss something?

I love 1-pedal driving and now completely used to it. But man, I feel like an idiot when I take my bimmer out because I forget that I have to do "normal" and also to turn the car off.

As someone who almost daily glides down mountains and gains battery while doing it, I can assure you that 1-pedal driving is great for efficiency.

You have it backwards regarding efficiency. Regen puts energy back into the battery which is far more efficient management process than enduring the friction losses when coasting.

I love one-pedal driving and the brake regen. I often drive up a mountain road then back down, and I always end up back at the bottom with more miles of range than I had at the top. No ICE car can do that. I'll never buy an ICE car again.

Another subtle thing I love about one-pedal driving. I think it makes me drive "safer" as I tend to get off the throttle sooner, and gently slow to a stop in traffic. This avoids an abrupt slam on the brakes, making it more energy efficient as well as making it less likely the car behind me rear ends me. It encourages "zen" driving which I think is safer.

You have it backwards regarding efficiency. Regen puts energy back into the battery which is far more efficient management process than enduring the friction losses when coasting.

I don't think so. There is a degree of energy inefficiency within these systems and some regen energy will be lost as heat. Coasting in a perfect scenario (highway drive) would avoid imperfect regen braking only to havr to apply the throttle again to maintain speed.

Leaving efficiency aside - For comfort, one pedal is better for city driving and rush hour traffic, coasting is better for highway drives.

A point that I dont see mentioned often is that coasting is really important for defensive driving. I read the road ahead, and the situation of cars around me, and can coast for a while with the fairly predictable momentum of the car. This allows smooth transitions is a speed jam, or allowing another car to overtake you, or getting on a ramp. It allows me to choose when to hit the brake pedal to communicate to the car behind me.

The confusing variable of various regen strengths with every drive mode doesn't help my connection to the car, or predictable maneuvering.

I understand there is many fans of 1 pedal driving here, and I have used it without issue in Lucid and Tesla before. I do not have an issue ADAPTING to the system.

My final call to Lucid, please allow us to enjoy this as a driver's car. If I drive safer and connect better with the car by coasting or a low regen option, why not?

And kudos and salutations to all those content with one pedal.

I would argue that requiring you to constantly provide input into the accelerator gives you more control and not less. With more time driving, one pedal driving is not unpredictable and the brake is always available should you need it.

I don't think so. There is a degree of energy inefficiency within these systems and some regen energy will be lost as heat. Coasting in a perfect scenario (highway drive) would avoid imperfect regen braking only to havr to apply the throttle again to maintain speed.

Leaving efficiency aside - For comfort, one pedal is better for city driving and rush hour traffic, coasting is better for highway drives.

A point that I dont see mentioned often is that coasting is really important for defensive driving. I read the road ahead, and the situation of cars around me, and can coast for a while with the fairly predictable momentum of the car. This allows smooth transitions is a speed jam, or allowing another car to overtake you, or getting on a ramp. It allows me to choose when to hit the brake pedal to communicate to the car behind me.

The confusing variable of various regen strengths with every drive mode doesn't help my connection to the car, or predictable maneuvering.

I understand there is many fans of 1 pedal driving here, and I have used it without issue in Lucid and Tesla before. I do not have an issue ADAPTING to the system.

My final call to Lucid, please allow us to enjoy this as a driver's car. If I drive safer and connect better with the car by coasting or a low regen option, why not?

And kudos and salutations to all those content with one pedal.
This is why test drives are very important.

While it takes a couple weeks to learn, it is really easy to coast in the Lucid - I do it all the time - and one pedal driving gives you so much control. I was driving my husband's iX the other day, which has auto regen, and while it allows you to coast easily on highways, I found it was unpredictable and I could not always predict how strong the regen would be in different situations, which I found to be dangerous.

I would argue that requiring you to constantly provide input into the accelerator gives you more control and not less. With more time driving, one pedal driving is not unpredictable and the brake is always available should you need it.
I prefer more nuance. I agree for city driving, strongly disagree for highway.

I would still like us consumers to have the option as we know what it is doable. Not unlike allowing you to have a accelerator pedal or multiple message/heat/ventilation/volume levels.

Thanks again for this forum

Uh, there is a low-regen option. Switch to it, and enjoy yourself. It will be less efficient, but if you prefer it, you're more than welcome to use it.

Eventually, though, I think you'll find yourself all-in on the one-pedal driving. It just takes some getting used to but then you'll wonder why anyone would ever do it any other way.

You can switch to low regen (aka "standard" regen) either in the settings or by holding your finger down on any of the 3 drive modes.

Uh, there is a low-regen option. Switch to it, and enjoy yourself. It will be less efficient, but if you prefer it, you're more than welcome to use it.

Eventually, though, I think you'll find yourself all-in on the one-pedal driving. It just takes some getting used to but then you'll wonder why anyone would ever do it any other way.

You can switch to low regen (aka "standard" regen) either in the settings or by holding your finger down on any of the 3 drive modes.
Standard Regen in Swift mode is closer to coasting.

Except for the Taycan, EVs don’t really “coast”, they artificially maintain and then vaguely decrease speed if you let off the accelerator. My wife’s Volvo XC40 EV does this when not in one pedal mode, it’s not really like how ICE cars do it. So as a result when you do apply the brakes the car lurches more than an ICE car would. I think certain types of EV motors allow this better than others but maybe someone with more knowledge can correct me (permanent magnet motors I believe cannot coast?). I’ve noticed in the Volvo using the brakes adds about as much back to the battery as using one pedal driving, with the drawback being you’ll need your brakes redone in 3 years of ownership, which the Volvo dealer confirmed is the case so much so that they have a package that includes brake insurance and tire insurance. It will be a very long time before I need to get new brakes for the Lucid. I don’t find a problem with how the Lucid does it and I feel I have more control of the car’s speed at all times by regen/one pedal than were I to use friction brakes.

Back