Major Breaking issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbendy

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Grand Touring
I have a Lucid Air Grand Touring 2023 only 2600 Miles. I have encountered a major accident. While the car was backing out of my driveway, We press brake so the car stops at the incline of drive way, then we lightly tap the accelerator to continue into the street. The car failed to stop with the auto braking system on nor with the foot on the break. The vehicle proceeded backwards and hit a parked car parallel parked across the street, it continued to push the car out of the way and continued to crash into the house across the street all at a very slow pace. I have repeatedly ask Lucid to provide me all black box data and all written reports to the incident. We are talking about a major accident. This car didn't stop with foot on break or the auto braking system.

Lucid came and got the car with in 30 minutes of the accident. After numerous emails to Lucid requesting all data and reports from the car. I received a call from a service manager stating that they show the accelerator was pushed 40% of the way and that since it was pushed 40 percent of the way it over road the auto braking system. Basically they are saying that we hit the accelerator instead of break and their records show the pedal was pushed at 40 percent.
First I can tell you foot was on brake not accelerator, Secondly even if foot was on accelerator I can assure you it would be to the floor as human nature would be to press the pedal harder to stop the car as it crashed into the parallel parked car. Keep in mind this car crashed to a vehicle parallel parked and pushed it out of the way and continued to move 20 more feet after pushing the vehicle out of the way and proceeded to crash into my neighbor's house.

This was a very serious incident we are fortunate the neighbor's kids were not playing in drive-way.

In Short we believe there is a very serious issue with breaking the car when the pedal is tapped to accelerate in reverse and the car goes to regen mode when let up. Either the accelerator over ran the regen mode or the braking system failed severly. What we know this car did not stop and after numerous attempts to get the reports and data Lucid remains silent and doesnt provide us with the information.

If anyone has had any issues with stopping the car while in regen mode or not. please contact me. We are scared to death to ever drive the car again.....

Did you have a floor mat get stuck, perhaps? This is the first time I’ve ever heard of or seen this issue reported, and while I’m not necessarily assuming user error, I can tell you that the brakes have never failed me or anyone else I’ve ever spoken to.

I have a Lucid Air Grand Touring 2023 only 2600 Miles. I have encountered a major accident. While the car was backing out of my driveway, We press brake so the car stops at the incline of drive way, then we lightly tap the accelerator to continue into the street. The car failed to stop with the auto braking system on nor with the foot on the break. The vehicle proceeded backwards and hit a parked car parallel parked across the street, it continued to push the car out of the way and continued to crash into the house across the street all at a very slow pace. I have repeatedly ask Lucid to provide me all black box data and all written reports to the incident. We are talking about a major accident. This car didn't stop with foot on break or the auto braking system.

Lucid came and got the car with in 30 minutes of the accident. After numerous emails to Lucid requesting all data and reports from the car. I received a call from a service manager stating that they show the accelerator was pushed 40% of the way and that since it was pushed 40 percent of the way it over road the auto braking system. Basically they are saying that we hit the accelerator instead of break and their records show the pedal was pushed at 40 percent.
First I can tell you foot was on brake not accelerator, Secondly even if foot was on accelerator I can assure you it would be to the floor as human nature would be to press the pedal harder to stop the car as it crashed into the parallel parked car. Keep in mind this car crashed to a vehicle parallel parked and pushed it out of the way and continued to move 20 more feet after pushing the vehicle out of the way and proceeded to crash into my neighbor's house.

This was a very serious incident we are fortunate the neighbor's kids were not playing in drive-way.

In Short we believe there is a very serious issue with breaking the car when the pedal is tapped to accelerate in reverse and the car goes to regen mode when let up. Either the accelerator over ran the regen mode or the braking system failed severly. What we know this car did not stop and after numerous attempts to get the reports and data Lucid remains silent and doesnt provide us with the information.

If anyone has had any issues with stopping the car while in regen mode or not. please contact me. We are scared to death to ever drive the car again.....
What regen settings are you on? Could this be a continuation of the "acceleration on incline" bug from 2022/early 2023?

What regen settings are you on? Could this be a continuation of the "acceleration on incline" bug from 2022/early 2023?
Not likely. We're talking about the car pushing a parked car, jumping a curb, and hitting a house. No one has ever reported anything like this occuring with the brake pedal being pushed.

Several studies have been done in accidents of this kind. Usually, the conclusion is that the driver was pushing the accelerator when they thought they were pushing the brake. It's an easy and common mistake to make while in panic situations like this. I'm not saying that's what happened here. Just that 99 times out of 100, that's what the investigation finds.

If Lucid has the logs on the car, and the logs say the accelerator was down, it was down. Could be it got stuck under a loose mat, as @borski pointed out. Could be something else.

Not likely. We're talking about the car pushing a parked car, jumping a curb, and hitting a house. No one has ever reported anything like this occuring with the brake pedal being pushed.

Several studies have been done in accidents of this kind. Usually, the conclusion is that the driver was pushing the accelerator when they thought they were pushing the brake. It's an easy and common mistake to make while in panic situations like this. I'm not saying that's what happened here. Just that 99 times out of 100, that's what the investigation finds.

If Lucid has the logs on the car, and the logs say the accelerator was down, it was down. Could be it got stuck under a loose mat, as @borski pointed out. Could be something else.
I also don't understand how a Lucid could possibly push a car all that way. Was it a smart car or something heavier?

And I agree, just look into the results of the Toyota scandal.. floor mats and driver error both contributed to it.

Do you have any photos? If so please share them.

I have a possible explanation. I’ve noticed there were times, because of the angle of my foot, I had both the accelerator AND brake pushed at the same time. I’ve never measured the distance and height of both pedals to see why this has happened or if there was something different in the spacing of the brake & accelerator, but I have had this odd issue a few times. I’m now very cognizant of how and where my foot is to prevent this from happening. For whatever reason I’ve never had this happen on another car, EV or ICE.

So in my case this would be labeled as OE.

Too bad Lucid still doesn’t have an equivalent to Sentry mode; what are they waiting on!

Hmmmm
1704316840789.png

Photos? This is your first post on the forum. The car has only ever overrode emergency braking when pressing the accelerator to accelerate or maintain speed. That is at low speeds. I am not sure about whatever speeds you were going.

I have also had instances where my foot has pressed both the brake and the gas, not on my Lucid, but on both my previous BMW M5 and my wife's MB GLS 450. All of those times though, the cars have been in park and it happened when first getting in the car. I have had my foot slip off the accelerator and under the brake as well. Never had anything bad happen though and never had anything with the Lucid in this respect.

I was driving back in the days of the Audi unintended acceleration panic of the 1970s, and this was exactly the situation then. Drivers were absolutely convinced that they were standing hard on the brake pedal while the cars accelerated forward. Test after test proved the car did not have enough power to override the brakes even at full throttle. If I remember correctly, it was ultimately concluded that it was an ergonomic issue with the brake pedal design and placement relative to the accelerator pedal that was causing the confusion. Audi redesigned the pedals, I believe.

The only thing mind boggling is the impact it did when backing out of driveway so much so that it took the other car out and crashed into house. What typically speeds we back out from garage ? 5, 10 but definitely not more than 15…

I am glad to see this string. I have done this twice already in the Lucid ( thought I was fully on the brake when I was partially on the "go"pedal. ).

One time I was reversing and hit the brake when startled by sudden cross-traffic. I had partially covered the go pedal an it was only the emergency braking system that prevented me from hitting the sudden-appearing car.

inadvertent stepping on / covering the accelerator pedal when braking
more likely to happen when in a sudden or panic situation.

RE: had an Audi 5000 cst (fabulous car) and experienced full-throttle acceleration event. pretty sure there was something amiss with that throttle body.

Too bad Lucid still doesn’t have an equivalent to Sentry mode; what are they waiting on!
You don’t necessarily need it, houses these days tend to have Ring/Nest cams. My was recently used by police/insurance for a crash someone had in front of my house. If brake lights are on when reversing on any of the camera views, then the car likely did move in spite of brakes being applied, which would be very unlikely but the brake lights come on when brake pedal is applied. Even the runaway Tesla ones have usually been found to be that the foot was in fact on the accelerator, or maybe floor mat was caught, etc, and brake lights didn’t come on until the mishap was recognized. While I do not doubt anyone having an accident, driver accounts are notoriously unreliable.

I just asked them yesterday, my car was damaged in a vandalism incident, I actually know who it did, but cannot show proof. I came here looking for a solution maybe a dash cam but I don't want to look at wires on my windshield.They claim they are working on a software solution,I don't think they are working on anything really.

this cost 4500 to repair

Attachments

• keyed door.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 179
I just asked them yesterday, my car was damaged in a vandalism incident, I actually know who it did, but cannot show proof. I came here looking for a solution maybe a dash cam but I don't want to look at wires on my windshield.They claim they are working on a software solution,I don't think they are working on anything really.
Do you have evidence for this unfair accusation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back