Major Breaking issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this thread was shut down.

If it continues, can we please get the original poster verified as a Lucid owner?

As some of you know, I have posted copiously about problems with my Lucids, so I am not one who thinks discussion about issues with Lucids should be suppressed. But there is just too much off kilter about the story as it has thus far emerged to warrant taking the poster seriously until we know he actually owns a Lucid.

I notice this accident happened in San Diego (per the stamp on the garbage bin). Why was the car taken to a shop up near Los Angeles when there is a Lucid Service Center in San Diego and Lucid-certified body shops much closer to San Diego than one in Costa Mesa?

Last edited:
Pics of the Lucid would complete the story. I apologize for my earlier post, but you have to see how many of us were suspect of the legitimacy of your post - brand new poster with his first post, multiple typos (including mixing up brake and break), and no visual proof. Hopefully your insurance covers the damage and you get your car back ASAP.
The damage to my car is over 60k, the truck was 9k and the house will be 65k, yes I am insured but unless I can prove what I am saying it will go down as an at fault accident. We are not BS anyone foot was on break and car didnt stop that is what we know. I wish I could explain it better and I wish this didn't happen. My insurance wants we to get the black box data which I have requested in writing 7 times. I got a call from service manager reading me a 1 paragraph report but stated he could not give me report or the data. My intial request was a very detailed request for information that an attorney helped me write. I am guessing I will have to have attorney write a letter since Lucid is stonewalling me.....

I thought this thread was shut down.

If it continues, can we please get the original poster verified as a Lucid owner?

As some of you know, I have posted copiously about problems with my Lucids, so I am not one who thinks discussion about issues with Lucids should be suppressed. But there is just too much off kilter about the story as it has thus far emerged to warrant taking the poster seriously until we know he actually owns a Lucid.
Let me see what that involves and I will request to be verified. But if Lucid has to approve we will see if they approve me considering how they have been stonewalling me on the data and the reports. Just saying. I will request to be verified though. Not really sure how any of this works.

The damage to my car is over 60k, the truck was 9k and the house will be 65k, yes I am insured but unless I can prove what I am saying it will go down as an at fault accident. We are not BS anyone foot was on break and car didnt stop that is what we know. I wish I could explain it better and I wish this didn't happen. My insurance wants we to get the black box data which I have requested in writing 7 times. I got a call from service manager reading me a 1 paragraph report but stated he could not give me report or the data. My intial request was a very detailed request for information that an attorney helped me write. I am guessing I will have to have attorney write a letter since Lucid is stonewalling me.....
Why is your insurance not fighting Lucid harder to get the data?

Let me see what that involves and I will request to be verified. But if Lucid has to approve we will see if they approve me considering how they have been stonewalling me on the data and the reports. Just saying. I will request to be verified though. Not really sure how any of this works.

You might have missed the edit to my post in which I asked another question.

You said your car was taken to a repair shop next to the Lucid Service Center in Costa Mesa. That would be European Motor Car Works, which is a Lucid-certified shop. However, there are a Lucid Service Center in San Diego and Lucid-certified body shops much nearer to San Diego than Costa Mesa. Why was your car taken almost to Los Angeles?

My first Lucid was totaled in an accident, and I got very familiar with how things operate with Lucid car repairs.

You might have missed the edit to my post in which I asked another question.

You said your car was taken to a repair shop next to the Lucid Service Center in Costa Mesa. That would be European Motor Car Works, which is a Lucid-certified shop. However, there are a Lucid Service Center in San Diego and Lucid-certified body shops much nearer to San Diego than Costa Mesa. Why was your car taken almost to Los Angeles?

My first Lucid was totaled in an accident, and I got very familiar with how things operate with Lucid car repairs.
Good question. Minutes after the accident we contacted Lucid customer service, and they said they were coming to get it. in all the commotion we didn't think to ask why, then after car was picked up we got a call back stating they were taking to european motors. I thought was going to lucid dealer to be honest until they called back to say was going to European motors. I don't believe there is a service center in San Diego. At least at the time I was told there was not one.

Not likely. We're talking about the car pushing a parked car, jumping a curb, and hitting a house. No one has ever reported anything like this occuring with the brake pedal being pushed.

Several studies have been done in accidents of this kind. Usually, the conclusion is that the driver was pushing the accelerator when they thought they were pushing the brake. It's an easy and common mistake to make while in panic situations like this. I'm not saying that's what happened here. Just that 99 times out of 100, that's what the investigation finds.

If Lucid has the logs on the car, and the logs say the accelerator was down, it was down. Could be it got stuck under a loose mat, as @borski pointed out. Could be something else.
for the record I never used the word jumping the curb more like pushed up nieghbors driveway out of the way. if that makes sense.

I don't know why. Insurance company gave me company to hire to get data. I havn't gone down that path yet but probably will.

Good question. Minutes after the accident we contacted Lucid customer service, and they said they were coming to get it. in all the commotion we didn't think to ask why, then after car was picked up we got a call back stating they were taking to european motors. I thought was going to lucid dealer to be honest until they called back to say was going to European motors. I don't believe there is a service center in San Diego. At least at the time I was told there was not one.

You are correct. The planned San Diego Service Center has not opened, for whatever reason.

Any time a Lucid has major body repair, Lucid requires that the car be taken to a Lucid Service Center for examination and lidar recalibration before the car is returned to the customer. Since your car would have to go to Costa Mesa for that examination, perhaps Lucid figured it best to have the repair work done right next door.

After my crash, we asked Lucid if they had black box data that we could look at. Not to blame them for anything, as there was no doubt it was driver error, but we were just curious the car was moving when we hit and thought that it would be an easy thing to look up. With all the computers in the car, we just assumed it was recorded somewhere. We were told by the folks at Costa Mesa that they didn't have that data. I'm not sure if they told us that because we were owners as opposed to lawyers or insurance company reps, or if it's really true.

After my crash, we asked Lucid if they had black box data that we could look at. Not to blame them for anything, as there was no doubt it was driver error, but we were just curious the car was moving when we hit and thought that it would be an easy thing to look up. With all the computers in the car, we just assumed it was recorded somewhere. We were told by the folks at Costa Mesa that they didn't have that data. I'm not sure if they told us that because we were owners as opposed to lawyers or insurance company reps, or if it's really true.

In the aftermath of my accident, I found that Lucid data on the cars is indeed compartmentalized. The guy who runs Lucid's body shop liaison program offered to find out what he could about a used Dream Edition I was considering as a replacement for my wrecked Dream Edition. He was able to get certain information about the state of the battery and recall history but said other information was held by the engineering team that he could not access. Also, when I've talked to the Riviera Beach Service Center to get information on some occasions, they've been able to answer some questions from their database but had to go to the HQ engineering team to get other information from its data base. And it wasn't always given to them.

Log data is proprietary information. It contains a lot more than what you would need to answer a specific question. And weeding out just the pertinent info would be pretty tough, I would think. Not to mention, it would need to be interpreted by an engineer. Computers don't just naturally spit out perfectly readable English prose.

My guess is Lucid would never hand over raw logs to anyone. At least not without being compelled to by a court.

I’m confused as to the whole thread. In regen mode, if you release the accelerator, the car stops, almost instantly in the high regen setting. I have had the car for 18 months. it will stop. This regen, or slowing/stopping, is more intense than any other EV I have driven. There is no way that the car continues to back up if you do not have a foot on a pedal, either accelerator or brake. There must have been something such as a car mat which continued to press on the accelerator for this to have happened. I am sorry that this occurred, but it is not the result of the car.

This is an interesting article about why NHTSA reopened its investigation in mid-2023 of unintended acceleration reports from Tesla owners. There could be some similarities to what is being reported on this thread: occurring at low speed, a log report of accelerator application when there was none, no trace of the real cause left in log data:

A lot of Lucid engineers have Tesla backgrounds. Just sayin' . . . .

This is an interesting article about why NHTSA reopened its investigation in mid-2023 of unintended acceleration reports from Tesla owners. There could be some similarities to what is being reported on this thread: occurring at low speed, a log report of accelerator application when there was none, no trace of the real cause left in log data:

A lot of Lucid engineers have Tesla backgrounds. Just sayin' . . . .
I would have thought that too, but wouldn't the voltage spike push the accelerator application to 100?

Log data is proprietary information. It contains a lot more than what you would need to answer a specific question. And weeding out just the pertinent info would be pretty tough, I would think. Not to mention, it would need to be interpreted by an engineer. Computers don't just naturally spit out perfectly readable English prose.

My guess is Lucid would never hand over raw logs to anyone. At least not without being compelled to by a court.
I can confirm this information. My recent request had a narrative report. No charts. No raw data. The information given was bare minimum.

I could use the kinematic data myself to produce charts and recreate the accident we were involved in. Lucid would probably never give that though unless taken to court, and my insurance had me do it vs them doing it when insisted on for the initial report.

I believe OP on the point of the insurance doing little in the way to help as USAA has been lackadaisical at best... Black box data from other car? No way. No can do. Impossible.

You pay insurance to fight them for the correct payouts, to do the right things, and all while without a car. Car gets sent to a different city when shops are nearby? Meh, they did not take the time to find certified body shops and sent to the first third party appraisal location for a completely inaccurate repair estimate.

Car gets sent to a different city when shops are nearby?

Lucids that have major repairs are sent to a Lucid Service Center for examination and lidar recalibration before they are returned to the owner. This is a condition of maintaining the warranty. The car in this thread was sent to a repair shop next door to the closest Lucid Service Center, as the car had to get to that location at some point, anyway. The same thing happened with my car. It was sent to the certified body shop that was nearest the Service Center that was going to have to do the final check on the repairs. That actually makes sense, especially as Lucid might have to send the car back to the body shop if a repair does not meet with Lucid's approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back