Regenerative braking

grtlooks

Cars
lucid touring
I sped up to make a light, I have no idea how fast i was going but once a made the light, took my foot off the gas pedal and the car kept on going. It definitely scared me. I had to put my foot on the brake and even then it didn't slow as quickly as I wanted it to. the swerve light came on brielfly and eventually slowed down. I had my car in the smooth setting with high regenerative braking on. Has anyone had this experience before?

I sped up to make a light, I have no idea how fast i was going but once a made the light, took my foot off the gas pedal and the car kept on going. It definitely scared me. I had to put my foot on the brake and even then it didn't slow as quickly as I wanted it to. the swerve light came on brielfly and eventually slowed down. I had my car in the smooth setting with high regenerative braking on. Has anyone had this experience before?
What was your state of charge at the time? What mode were you in?

Were you near 100% SOC? The car cannot do regenerative braking at high SOC.

94% SOC or higher, no regenerative braking to retract energy.

... I had to put my foot on the brake and even then it didn't slow as quickly as I wanted it to. the swerve light came on brielfly and eventually slowed down. ...
Was the road very wet? Sounds like your car lost traction from braking, or possibly hydroplaned.

Was the road very wet? Sounds like your car lost traction from braking, or possibly hydroplaned.
No, the road was dry. It had rained earlier but at the time of day I was driving, it dry. It did feel like it did lose traction since the swerve indicator came on.

No, the road was dry. It had rained earlier but at the time of day I was driving, it dry. It did feel like it did lose traction since the swerve indicator came on.
This is abnormal behavior and I recommend that you have it serviced.

I had this happen just once, as I was turning 90 degrees into an EA charging station with about 20%. It definitely scared me when it didn't slow down and went towards the station but I managed to apply the brakes before looking like an idiot.

I've owned and driven Tesla Model 3 & Model X with one pedal driving for 4 years so I'm very familiar with when and how regenerative braking works. I am sure regenerative braking did not kick in when it should have.

One thing I learned yesterday, though it probably doesn’t explain what happened to grtlooks, are the ramifications of an unexpected profile change. We were returning from dinner and somehow the car, unbeknownst to me, switched profiles. My seating position had changed and that could have been a tipoff, but I’ve had several cars where the car forgot the memory position, so this didn’t seem like an earth-shaking event.

My wife’s profile has the lesser regenerative braking setting and it was a bit of a shock when I eased off on the accelerator only to find much less braking than I was expecting. In that case, relative to what I was expecting, it almost felt like acceleration, but it wasn’t.

Now to figure out why it changed profiles. Maybe she got to the car first? I still have a lot to learn about the car. I’m even thinking of eliminating her profile given she’ll rarely drive the car.

Now to figure out why it changed profiles. Maybe she got to the car first? I still have a lot to learn about the car. I’m even thinking of eliminating her profile given she’ll rarely drive the car.

Yes, she got to car first with her mobile key. I have same situation when my son got close to car before I did. It’s just couple clicks on right cockpit switch to avatar to your profile. (20 seconds to reload all your settings, garage HomeLink, navigation search history, etc etc, and flush out current temporary data in the car)

One thing I learned yesterday, though it probably doesn’t explain what happened to grtlooks, are the ramifications of an unexpected profile change. We were returning from dinner and somehow the car, unbeknownst to me, switched profiles. My seating position had changed and that could have been a tipoff, but I’ve had several cars where the car forgot the memory position, so this didn’t seem like an earth-shaking event.

My wife’s profile has the lesser regenerative braking setting and it was a bit of a shock when I eased off on the accelerator only to find much less braking than I was expecting. In that case, relative to what I was expecting, it almost felt like acceleration, but it wasn’t.

If your individual fobs are each programmed to your own profiles, it’ll be a crap shoot which one gets “picked.” This is my biggest gripe with the car by far.

I found unlinking the fobs from our profiles and just swapping manually when she wants to drive was the only way to keep my sanity.

If your individual fobs are each programmed to your own profiles, it’ll be a crap shoot which one gets “picked.” This is my biggest gripe with the car by far.

I found unlinking the fobs from our profiles and just swapping manually when she wants to drive was the only way to keep my sanity.
That makes sense, Joe. I was even thinking of eliminating her profile since she would very rarely drive the car. All our preferences would be the same with the exception of seat & regen. So I think it may be worth it in the long run.

With separate profiles, would the phone also cause issues like I had?

Yes, she got to car first with her mobile key. I have same situation when my son got close to car before I did. It’s just couple clicks on right cockpit switch to avatar to your profile. (20 seconds to reload all your settings, garage HomeLink, navigation search history, etc etc, and flush out current temporary data in the car)
Now that I think of it, she didn't have the key fob on her. So I'm assuming it was her phone that did it.

That makes sense, Joe. I was even thinking of eliminating her profile since she would very rarely drive the car. All our preferences would be the same with the exception of seat & regen. So I think it may be worth it in the long run.

With separate profiles, would the phone also cause issues like I had?
Removing the profile for my wife, who drives the car about 1% of the time, eliminated a lot of other little issues for me.

Back