Regenerative braking

In this case, I think the point was that reading the manual would have kept this from being a surprise and potentially dangerous. There are lots and lots of other things in the manual that are important to know for safety, as well.
Let me amplify @borski point, based on my initial experience. I am four months into my first EV car. I had no idea how different it would be driving, using and adjusting from a five year old ICE Audi. I went from ICE cars and only read the manual to learn how to set the mirrors and entertainment. NOT SO with a Lucid. It's not intuitive. You need to learn shit.

Hours after getting the car, I drive 100 miles into the mountains. I was worn out and frustrated. Stopped as a pub by a lake, had a beer, read the manual and read @Bobby Lucid updates FAQ.

Many here come from BEVS. But coming from an ICE car, "everything is different now.". That is what makes this site incredibly helpful. I feel lucky to be a member.

... That is what makes this site incredibly helpful. I feel lucky to be a member.
We're lucky to have you here. We all have our moments +- , but on the whole a very good group of enthusiasts.

Let me amplify @borski point, based on my initial experience. I am four months into my first EV car. I had no idea how different it would be driving, using and adjusting from a five year old ICE Audi. I went from ICE cars and only read the manual to learn how to set the mirrors and entertainment. NOT SO with a Lucid. It's not intuitive. You need to learn shit.

Hours after getting the car, I drive 100 miles into the mountains. I was worn out and frustrated. Stopped as a pub by a lake, had a beer, read the manual and read @Bobby Lucid updates FAQ.

Many here come from BEVS. But coming from an ICE car, "everything is different now.". That is what makes this site incredibly helpful. I feel lucky to be a member.
I also came from a lifetime of only driving ICE vehicles, and my AIR is my first BEV. After I decided on Lucid, I came across this forum and read the manual months before my car was delivered. It allowed me to be a more knowledgeable owner, but you're right, it's a complete new experience in driving no matter how prepared you are, especially regen and 1-pedal driving. The manual, the topics on this forum, Bobby's resources, and the community here are amazingly helpful and pretty much answer 99% of all questions that are brought up.

I was commenting on just your joke which I thought was super funny. But, it did remind me of other threads where again, sometimes not all the time, reminding new folks that there are these resources available comes less friendly than the board and members actually are. This is the only forum where I read daily and regularly post, which even blows my mind as I'm passionate about a lot of other things! I love my car that much. 😃

Anyways, back to the topic at hand, this happened to me once and only once. It boggled me as all the conditions (i.e. SOC%, road conditions, no HA/ACC, foot off the accelerator, etc.) shouldn't have done this behavior. Just tapping the break brought it back to norm. It hasn't happened again in six months but this post reminded me of it so I'm keeping aware of it to see if it ever happens again before I alert service.

I am hitting this issue fairly consistently. Had it today. Car was charged to 80%. I'd driven for maybe 2 miles and was going down a hill. I had little to no regenerative braking and had to use the brake pedal. Car was in smooth with regenerative braking set to high. It was between 50 - 58 F out, so not "extremely cold". This has been going on for a week or two. I do this drive very often, an have had many other times where regenerative braking worked as expected. I think I'm at the point where I need to get service to take a look. Problem is it's not completely consistent.

I am hitting this issue fairly consistently. Had it today. Car was charged to 80%. I'd driven for maybe 2 miles and was going down a hill. I had little to no regenerative braking and had to use the brake pedal. Car was in smooth with regenerative braking set to high. It was between 50 - 58 F out, so not "extremely cold". This has been going on for a week or two. I do this drive very often, an have had many other times where regenerative braking worked as expected. I think I'm at the point where I need to get service to take a look. Problem is it's not completely consistent.
I've heard that Regen could be affected as low as 80%. See if you have an issue when your car is low in SOC.

How fast were you driving? Regen from high speeds generates a lot of power that can easily be too much current to put into the battery. This is why even at high SOC (above 90%) you will get normal regen at slow speed but not get much rgen at highway speed.

Never a bad idea to have service take a look, especially if its inconsitent. I will say that a lot of it depends on the temperature. You say its 50-58, but if you left the car out overnight and it dips into the 30s it can take time for the battery to warm up and enable full regen. Really just reinforces my statement that Lucid really needs some kind of indicator for when regen/power is limited.

How fast were you driving? Regen from high speeds generates a lot of power that can easily be too much current to put into the battery. This is why even at high SOC (above 90%) you will get normal regen at slow speed but not get much rgen at highway speed.
About 45 mph, maybe 50 as I approached the corner at the bottom of the hill.

I've heard that Regen could be affected as low as 80%. See if you have an issue when your car is low in SOC.
Good idea. I'll try it. That said, I don't always have this experience and I frequently do this drive first thing in the morning after charging.

Good idea. I'll try it. That said, I don't always have this experience and I frequently do this drive first thing in the morning after charging.
If your commute can handle it set your charge to 75 and see if you have the same issue.

My regen set to high is now operating significantly weaker than previously. At times one pedal driving is no longer possible but it seems to operate with less consistency. Perhaps a bug in 2.1.33.

In my experience over 6 months, regen begins to work at or just below 94% SOC.

My regen set to high is now operating significantly weaker than previously. At times one pedal driving is no longer possible but it seems to operate with less consistency. Perhaps a bug in 2.1.33.

In my experience over 6 months, regen begins to work at or just below 94% SOC.
I concur. After the 2.1.33 update the regen is a little weaker. Not horribly so, but definitely enough to notice. Especially if you're slowing down from speed, say around 50mph range. I have regent set to high. Before this update, I wouldn't need the brake to stop at a light. Now I need to lift the pedal a little earlier or use the brake to stop on time. (I posted that in the 2.1.33 thread last week.) It's not a question of outside temperature or SOC. This is on the same roads and same SOC as I drive every week.

I concur. After the 2.1.33 update the regen is a little weaker. Not horribly so, but definitely enough to notice. Especially if you're slowing down from speed, say around 50mph range. I have regent set to high. Before this update, I wouldn't need the brake to stop at a light. Now I need to lift the pedal a little earlier or use the brake to stop on time. (I posted that in the 2.1.33 thread last week.) It's not a question of outside temperature or SOC. This is on the same roads and same SOC as I drive every week.

Not sure 2.1.33 changed strength of regenerative brake. But I had a good efficient with that update. Or is it because of the effect weather is now cooler?

Attachments

• B01B0808-B51F-42C2-99B6-2F12C4627F08.jpeg
    B01B0808-B51F-42C2-99B6-2F12C4627F08.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
Had a chance to try again today. Charge limit was still at 80% but the state of charge was 73%. I was probably going 43mph at the bottom of the hill. 50F out. That covers all the variables... And regenerative breaking seemed back to normal this time. No need to use the brake pedal unlike the previous few times I've driven down this. way.

Not sure 2.1.33 changed strength of regenerative brake. But I had a good efficient with that update. Or is it because of the effect weather is now cooler?
I have noticed much less regen between 70-80% now with.33 installed thus requiring more braking than ever. After I get below ~70%, the regen returns to normal.

However, it doesn’t pass the sniff check, but my miles per kWh has increased with this new update. Not sure what to think about that but I’m digging it for sure.

I sped up to make a light, I have no idea how fast i was going but once a made the light, took my foot off the gas pedal and the car kept on going. It definitely scared me. I had to put my foot on the brake and even then it didn't slow as quickly as I wanted it to. the swerve light came on brielfly and eventually slowed down. I had my car in the smooth setting with high regenerative braking on. Has anyone had this experience before?

I feel like 2.1.10 doesn't break as quickly. It seems to have more roll before stopping.

This is abnormal behavior and I recommend that you have it serviced.
So this just happened to me too, if you speed up very quickly and immediately take your foot off the gas, the car coasts a lot more now than before. The regent still goes clear to the high side of regen, but doesn't have that super strong regen feeling despite being in high.

It didn't used to do this before, only been a few updates. So this is definitely something new and probably intended.
And actually I kind of like it because otherwise it's herky jerky

Just completed 180 mile round trip. The smooth high regen is definitely changed. The speed change as you ease off the accelerator is more gradual. I was able to adjust to the change after 30 minutes of driving. It is much easier to hold a steady speed. The ACC is also smoother when you slow down in traffic.

I sped up to make a light, I have no idea how fast i was going but once a made the light, took my foot off the gas pedal and the car kept on going. It definitely scared me. I had to put my foot on the brake and even then it didn't slow as quickly as I wanted it to. the swerve light came on brielfly and eventually slowed down. I had my car in the smooth setting with high regenerative braking on. Has anyone had this experience before?
There are two options in regenerative braking. Choose what is appropriate for you. Also when you press the brake pedal, it first uses regeneration and then uses actual brakes.

I have experienced inconsistent regen intensity a few times now. The most alarming was taking an on ramp at appreciable speed. It was essentially s-shaped and approaching the second turn I let off the accelerator expecting the regen to bite and it didn’t! I’m so conditioned to using single pedal driving that it caused a moment of panic finding the brake pedal. I was definitely below 80% charge.

Inconsistency is very dangerous. Encountering an unexpected result can cause an accident!

There are two options in regenerative braking. Choose what is appropriate for you. Also when you press the brake pedal, it first uses regeneration and then uses actual brakes.
Regenerative braking only occurs from taking your foot off of the accelerator. The brake pedal is all mechanical brake. Other brands are different in this.

Back