Regenerative braking

My experience is regenerative braking starts back up from 100% once your at 98% SOC.

This part I wish Lucid can put out warning for safety, I understand why regenerating braking is limited, but many Newbie EV drivers don’t. Rivian prompt that simple warning.

BA5F451A-AFB3-4438-9652-A9EF20A411DA.jpeg

This part I wish Lucid can put out warning for safety, I understand why regenerating braking is limited, but many Newbie EV drivers don’t. Rivian prompt that simple warning.

View attachment 14340
That would be nice. I use high regen and it was a bit of a surprise the first time. A reminder of how nice one pedal driving is.

One thing I learned yesterday, though it probably doesn’t explain what happened to grtlooks, are the ramifications of an unexpected profile change. We were returning from dinner and somehow the car, unbeknownst to me, switched profiles. My seating position had changed and that could have been a tipoff, but I’ve had several cars where the car forgot the memory position, so this didn’t seem like an earth-shaking event.

My wife’s profile has the lesser regenerative braking setting and it was a bit of a shock when I eased off on the accelerator only to find much less braking than I was expecting. In that case, relative to what I was expecting, it almost felt like acceleration, but it wasn’t.

Now to figure out why it changed profiles. Maybe she got to the car first? I still have a lot to learn about the car. I’m even thinking of eliminating her profile given she’ll rarely drive the car.
just to follow-up. Lucid came out to my home and couldn't find any errors or problems. He did say that he was going to hang on to the report in case it happens again, and probably, if it does happen again I would need to leave my car with them for a few days. At this point he feels it is safe to drive.

just to follow-up. Lucid came out to my home and couldn't find any errors or problems. He did say that he was going to hang on to the report in case it happens again, and probably, if it does happen again I would need to leave my car with them for a few days. At this point he feels it is safe to drive.
Did they say anything about the regen braking?SOC?

View attachment 14340
I was not aware of this and had concerns that something changed in my settings. I fully charged to go on a trip and the regen not working was a complete surprise.

I do wish there was some kind of indicator when power/regen is reduced because of SoC or weather. I live in the North East, in the winter months my Tesla would indicate on the power/regen radial how much was unavailable until the battery warmed up. Hopefully Lucid implements something similiar. Especially for regen, its jarring and potentially a safety issue when you expect it to be there and its not active!

I had trouble with my regenerative braking that I couldn't fix through settings but "went away" Then I stumbled onto this thread. Looking back I set the maximum charge for long trip shortly before the issue started. Assuming it was high SOC that impeded the regenerative braking and it went away once I reset the max charging point to 80%.

Agree that there should be some warning if braking is altered from expectations. Maybe even setting full charge at less than maximum capacity so that the regenerative brakes still work? Definitely a safety issue that should be put on the "wish list".

Last edited:
I would recommend doing that ONLY if you delete your profile from the I4. Retain parity for the sake of your marriage!
She actually never drives the Lucid, the i4 is now technically her car. Of course when we’re together I’m always driving whether it’s the Lucid or i4. So she had no issue with me deleting her profile from the Lucid.

Real parity would be to sell the I4 and get another Lucid!😜
I have a AGT and my wife has a an i4M50.

Both are fabulous cars.

My wife loves her car and intends to keep it for a very long time.

I sped up to make a light, I have no idea how fast i was going but once a made the light, took my foot off the gas pedal and the car kept on going. It definitely scared me. I had to put my foot on the brake and even then it didn't slow as quickly as I wanted it to. the swerve light came on brielfly and eventually slowed down. I had my car in the smooth setting with high regenerative braking on. Has anyone had this experience before?
I had the same problem. Turns out I set cruise control in a 35 mph speed zone to 38 mph. The speed limit changed to 45 and I sped up to 48. As I came up to a red light I took my foot off the accelerator and the car did not slow down - it coasted. Since I waited late to take my foot off the accelerator, expecting regen to slow the car quickly, I panicked a bit. When I lightly touched the brakes, regen kicked in. I had this happen several times before it dawned on me that cruise was still activated at a lower speed so when I took my foot off the accelerator the car would coast until it slowed to the slower preset cruise speed. Maybe this is what was happening to you?

Unexplained and unpredictable sudden acceleration has been an issue with ICE cars as well. Hopefully, this won't happen again or to anyone else.

Unexplained and unpredictable sudden acceleration has been an issue with ICE cars as well. Hopefully, this won't happen again or to anyone else.
It’s neither unexplained nor unexpected. If you have cruise control or HA engaged the car will accelerate when traffic clears. If you have charged to 100% regen is not available.

View attachment 14340
thank you. This answered my question. I noticed this on driving after a full charge and it was quite a surprise.

thank you. This answered my question. I noticed this on driving after a full charge and it was quite a surprise.
It may sound silly, but it's really important to read the owners manual.

Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 6.12.59 PM.png

It may sound silly, but it's really important to read the owners manual.

View attachment 15945
Geez Bobby, there you go again. First you expect newbies to use Search instead of instantly posting the same questions over and over and over again. Then you expect new users to read the FAQS on your informative site, before complaining.

But Expecting males to read an owners manual -- you ask far too much. 🙄 it's like asking Lucid owners to stop whinging about not getting their update --NOW!

Geez Bobby, there you go again. First you expect newbies to use Search instead of instantly posting the same questions over and over and over again. Then you expect new users to read the FAQS on your informative site, before complaining.

But Expecting males to read an owners manual -- you ask far too much. 🙄 it's like asking Lucid owners to stop whinging about not getting their update --NOW!
All jokes aside, I do think that sometimes the board tone of these reminders to new members come off a bit harsh. I’ve seen numerous times where new members or first time owners post a common first owner concern or issue apologize as their next post when they get jumped all over them for their first post.

Now, it’s a different matter when an active member or regular forum readers bring up repeated and addressed issues that are resolved or well documented across all these resources choose not to use these available resources and keep posting that makes all shake our damn heads 🤦🏻

All jokes aside, I do think that sometimes the board tone of these reminders to new members come off a bit harsh. I’ve seen numerous times where new members or first time owners post a common first owner concern or issue apologize as their next post when they get jumped all over them for their first post.

Now, it’s a different matter when an active member or regular forum readers bring up repeated and addressed issues that are resolved or well documented across all these resources choose not to use these available resources and keep posting that makes all shake our damn heads 🤦🏻
In this case, I think the point was that reading the manual would have kept this from being a surprise and potentially dangerous. There are lots and lots of other things in the manual that are important to know for safety, as well.

I see your point. It’s hard for those of us who have been here for years to remember that not everyone here reads every post every day and remembers every previous conversation.

I absolutely think Lucid should add a warning about regenerative brake loss when the battery is fully charged. But I also think every car owner owes it to themselves to read the manual before driving.

Last edited:
Back