Regenerative braking

There are two options in regenerative braking. Choose what is appropriate for you. Also when you press the brake pedal, it first uses regeneration and then uses actual brakes.
This is actually incorrect. In the Lucid, the brake pedal does not cause regen. It is simply mechanical. Other EVs, like my I Pace, work as you describe.

My regenerative braking basically stopped working entirely earlier this month. I've been trying to get my car into the shop to repair, but even with being provided an "exception" the earliest they can get me in is after Christmas.

Anyone had this issue before? The car just doesn't slow down if I take my foot of the gas beyond inertia. The first time it happened I almost rear ended someone.

My regenerative braking basically stopped working entirely earlier this month. I've been trying to get my car into the shop to repair, but even with being provided an "exception" the earliest they can get me in is after Christmas.

Anyone had this issue before? The car just doesn't slow down if I take my foot of the gas beyond inertia. The first time it happened I almost rear ended someone.

Never had such issue, we’re you at high % of SOC?

I have experienced inconsistent regen intensity a few times now. The most alarming was taking an on ramp at appreciable speed. It was essentially s-shaped and approaching the second turn I let off the accelerator expecting the regen to bite and it didn’t! I’m so conditioned to using single pedal driving that it caused a moment of panic finding the brake pedal. I was definitely below 80% charge.

Inconsistency is very dangerous. Encountering an unexpected result can cause an accident!

Did you get anyone to look at this? This sounds a lot like what I'm experiencing.

ever since the latest OTA, I’ve noticed my regenerative braking has decreased noticeably at faster speeds - say, 35-40mph or more. Under that is normal, but above it I notice significant coast that is different than before the update. (Worth noting that update also resulted in data being disconnected, requiring a service call for a fix).

ever since the latest OTA, I’ve noticed my regenerative braking has decreased noticeably at faster speeds - say, 35-40mph or more. Under that is normal, but above it I notice significant coast that is different than before the update. (Worth noting that update also resulted in data being disconnected, requiring a service call for a fix).
I agree, I was just about to post the same thing when I saw your post. Even when I am below 80% the regenerative brake seems to be less effective.

I sped up to make a light, I have no idea how fast i was going but once a made the light, took my foot off the gas pedal and the car kept on going. It definitely scared me. I had to put my foot on the brake and even then it didn't slow as quickly as I wanted it to. the swerve light came on brielfly and eventually slowed down. I had my car in the smooth setting with high regenerative braking on. Has anyone had this experience before?
There is always a response delay when pedals are used to accelerate or decelarate. Unusual action causes unusual results. "It is like playing dice with universe."

It's funny. I posted almost the same thing after one of the earlier updates, 2.1.33 I think. Some people agreed and some didn't notice any difference. For me, 2.1.47 didn't change his the car drives at all.

I can confirm that the lack of regenerative braking occurs in my car from 50mph going down to 30...from 30mph down it feels like normal slowing down. I am running high regenerative and comfort mode

Many posts about regen operating with lower effectiveness and less consistency in recent weeks in multiple threads here. This is a safety issue which must be fixed by Lucid asap.

Many posts about regen operating with lower effectiveness and less consistency in recent weeks in multiple threads here. This is a safety issue which must be fixed by Lucid asap.
According to Lucid, nothing has changed for regenerative breaking in any recent update. And my own driving seems to confirm this.

Random reports from various folks could mean anything. Perhaps there is a bug somewhere, but given different reports from different versions, it would be very hard to confirm anything, let alone fix anything.

When it comes to regen, it pays to stay alert and be ready to switch to the brake pedal at all times.

According to Lucid, nothing has changed for regenerative breaking in any recent update. And my own driving seems to confirm this.

Random reports from various folks could mean anything. Perhaps there is a bug somewhere, but given different reports from different versions, it would be very hard to confirm anything, let alone fix anything.

When it comes to regen, it pays to stay alert and be ready to switch to the brake pedal at all times.
My hypothesis. Nothing has changed but at lower battery temps the inverter software is not optimizing performance as it should. So at temps below about 40 degrees, those of us in colder climates are uncovering a weakness in the functionality of the inverter controls. Over 50 degrees you would not experience this issue. To some extent you would expect regen to perform differently at lower temperatures but the regen inconsistency many of us have experienced is unacceptable and it is clearly a flaw in the software controlling it. Legally, Lucid does not want to admit there is a problem until it has a solution to correct it.

My hypothesis. Nothing has changed but at lower battery temps the inverter software is not optimizing performance as it should. So at temps below about 40 degrees, those of us in colder climates are uncovering a weakness in the functionality of the inverter controls. Over 50 degrees you would not experience this issue. To some extent you would expect regen to perform differently at lower temperatures but the regen inconsistency many of us have experienced is unacceptable and it is clearly a flaw in the software controlling it. Legally, Lucid does not want to admit there is a problem until it has a solution to correct it.
Where I live, it’s regularly below 20 degrees. Again, I’ve seen no difference. But that is an interesting theory about temps having an impact. Could be under certain conditions, and I’m just not running into it. All the more reason to be alert and prepared to use the old-fashioned brake pedal, I suppose.

I sped up to make a light, I have no idea how fast i was going but once a made the light, took my foot off the gas pedal and the car kept on going. It definitely scared me. I had to put my foot on the brake and even then it didn't slow as quickly as I wanted it to. the swerve light came on brielfly and eventually slowed down. I had my car in the smooth setting with high regenerative braking on. Has anyone had this experience before?
If you disengage dream drive pro it take almost a second before the regenerative braking is engaged. These are things we as drivers have to figure out about any new car we are driving for the first time.

If you disengage dream drive pro it take almost a second before the regenerative braking is engaged. These are things we as drivers have to figure out about any new car we are driving for the first time.
This was a change because many people complained the Regen came on TOO quickly when ACC was disengaged. It was documented in the patch notes

Tesla has a setting "Apply Brakes When Regenerative Braking is Limited." I haven't experienced it personally, but that sounds pretty useful. It'd be great for consistency / avoiding high-speed surprises if Lucid automatically applied the friction brakes when necessary to maintain roughly the same feeling regardless of regen conditions.

Tesla has a setting "Apply Brakes When Regenerative Braking is Limited." I haven't experienced it personally, but that sounds pretty useful. It'd be great for consistency / avoiding high-speed surprises if Lucid automatically applied the friction brakes when necessary to maintain roughly the same feeling regardless of regen conditions.
They added that rather recently. I haven’t tried it, so I would reserve judgement. But generally speaking, I’d rather apply brakes myself and be in control than let a computer decide exactly how much deceleration I want.

They added that rather recently. I haven’t tried it, so I would reserve judgement. But generally speaking, I’d rather apply brakes myself and be in control than let a computer decide exactly how much deceleration I want.
I suppose that's why it's an option :)

You are still in control though. You can still use the brake as well if you need to stop faster. It just (as I understand it anyway) makes the motion of releasing the accelerator have the same expected result every time, regardless of temperature or state of charge which you might not be thinking about.

I haven't actually had any issues with it - I'm not so far removed from two-pedal driving that I don't still have the instinct to move my foot over - but it has surprised me a few times now at high speeds and low temperatures, which is enough that I'd at least try out that feature if it were implemented.

I actually would like more options as well. For example, my Jaguar EV has the option for zero regenerative braking. It essentially coasts when you let off the accelerator. That said, the brake pedal causes regenerative braking (at any speed above 4 mph unless it is a panic stop). My wife prefers to drive it this way, although I prefer the one pedal driving mode.

Back