Regenerative braking

I’ve posted about regen previously. It is clear the software controlling the inverter is both glitchy and has a poorly mapped function relative to temperature. In addition to fixing the software (I’ve had conservations with a service tech about this) another idea is a warning light that indicates when regen is substantially reduced if it is set on high.

I’ve posted about regen previously. It is clear the software controlling the inverter is both glitchy and has a poorly mapped function relative to temperature.
Not to me - I've never had an issue with regen in the 15 months I've owned the car. It is normal for regen to be limited or absent with a cold battery. It's also normal to display a message on startup that this will be the case, or to have limited power and limited regen displayed on as segments the driver's display power/charge dial.

Are all y'all experiencing changes on cold weather? Can't regen on a cold battery
I specifically noticed this when it was in the 20s here. I wondered if that was why. Makes sense .

Lucid can do better. And they will.

I've been using regenerative braking since we got our first Tesla in 2015. The system in that first car, although it was not capable of true one-pedal driving, was superbly calibrated for seamless transitions from regenerative to friction braking. It took me all of 15 minutes to fall in love with it. Auto reviewers for years have gushed over how well the Tesla regenerative braking was integrated into driving. Yet things improved with our 2021 Model S Plaid which now had one-pedal driving capability.

When we got our 2022 Lucid Air, we found its regenerative braking every bit as seamless and easy to modulate as the Tesla system. There are some limits in all these systems, such as the fact that the battery cells cannot accept the charge from regenerative braking when near full capacity or in very cold temperatures, and there is nothing Lucid can do about that. That aside, I would be at a loss to suggest to Lucid how they could improve the performance of their regenerative braking system.

I doubt it's a coincidence that the same man oversaw the development of the Tesla and the Lucid systems.

I've been using regenerative braking since we got our first Tesla in 2015. The system in that first car, although it was not capable of true one-pedal driving, was superbly calibrated for seamless transitions from regenerative to friction braking. It took me all of 15 minutes to fall in love with it. Auto reviewers for years have gushed over how well the Tesla regenerative braking was integrated into driving. Yet things improved with our 2021 Model S Plaid which now had one-pedal driving capability.

When we got our 2022 Lucid Air, we found its regenerative braking every bit as seamless and easy to modulate as the Tesla system. There are some limits in all these systems, such as the fact that the battery cells cannot accept the charge from regenerative braking when near full capacity or in very cold temperatures, and there is nothing Lucid can do about that. That aside, I would be at a loss to suggest to Lucid how they could improve the performance of their regenerative braking system.
I think most of the owners would concur. They're not just as vocal on a forum that represents a small percentage of all owners.

I think most of the owners would concur. They're not just as vocal on a forum that represents a small percentage of all owners.
I do agree with the earlier part upthread - there's no reason I'm aware of that we couldn't have an indicator light or something to show when regen will be limited.

Of course, having only had the car in TX in winter, I haven't noticed any "reduction" at all, so intrigued to see how different it may be if the temps climb from 30-50 up to the lovely 75+ norms.

I sped up to make a light, I have no idea how fast i was going but once a made the light, took my foot off the gas pedal and the car kept on going. It definitely scared me. I had to put my foot on the brake and even then it didn't slow as quickly as I wanted it to. the swerve light came on brielfly and eventually slowed down. I had my car in the smooth setting with high regenerative braking on. Has anyone had this experience before?
Not this exact thing but something similar. I have had my car just over three weeks. THe first two times I recharged it, the regen braking was wonky after the charge. Either not working or working only at higher speeds (>20mph). But once I parked and shut it off, upon restarting it worked normally, and the last time I charged and started it up, it worked fine.

Lucid regen has quirks in the software which results in unpredictable regen braking force from time to time. This has been clearly observed by many users. It needs to be fixed before thud becomes a safety bulletin or recall issue.

I had this happen just once, as I was turning 90 degrees into an EA charging station with about 20%. It definitely scared me when it didn't slow down and went towards the station but I managed to apply the brakes before looking like an idiot.

I've owned and driven Tesla Model 3 & Model X with one pedal driving for 4 years so I'm very familiar with when and how regenerative braking works. I am sure regenerative braking did not kick in when it should have.
Better to get it checked asap. Shouldn’t happen.

Not this exact thing but something similar. I have had my car just over three weeks. THe first two times I recharged it, the regen braking was wonky after the charge. Either not working or working only at higher speeds (>20mph). But once I parked and shut it off, upon restarting it worked normally, and the last time I charged and started it up, it worked fine.
How high did you charge? What was the temp outside? Regen is affected by state of charge, anything above 80% is unpredictable, and the temperature of the battery pack, cold packs can't regen well.

Charge to 100 percent, outside temp in AM probability 55 or 60. But at least rechange, regen was fine. Thiis wonkiness so far was limited to the two prior times.

Incorrect. I do have regen at 100 percent. The problem has gone away at 100 now.

You might want to google the phrase "regenerative braking full battery". You will find that meaningful regenerative braking is not available when the battery is charged to 100 percent. There are three cases in which you might perceive otherwise.

(1) The car is programmed to apply the friction brakes automatically when you lift off the accelerator when near full battery capacity, perhaps creating the impression that regenerative braking is working. Tesla was reported to have done a 2020 software update on some of its models to enable this. (Lucid has no such feature as far as I am aware.)

(2) The readout shows a 100% charge, but there is actually an upper buffer that can still absorb some regenerative braking energy if the buffer is made accessible for such purpose. (Lucids with the 118-kWh battery packs have no such buffer, as the chemistry of the Samsung batteries does not require it.)

(3) At low speeds you will get some regenerative braking near a full charge . . . perhaps enough to perceive it, but not enough for true one-pedal driving.

I'm on my second Lucid, and neither had meaningful regenerative braking until charge dropped to 96-95%.

Still, incorrect. After the two incidents, I have full regen breaking after charging to 100 percent. Stop changing the facts. This is not my first EV. Your opinions are not helpful at all.

Still, incorrect. After the two incidents, I have full regen breaking after charging to 100 percent. Stop changing the facts. This is not my first EV. Your opinions are not helpful at all.
I'm sorry, but are you replying to @hmp10? You, someone who has only been on this forum for a month, is telling our longest tenured member, who has 1000s of useful posts, that his "opinions are not helpful at all?" Wow, that's some chutzpah!

That being said, if you have full regen at 100%, then something is amiss with your car. Literally no one else has regen at 100% at anything above a very low speed. Maybe you should speak to service to get your car checked out?

Back