Regenerative braking

Still, incorrect. After the two incidents, I have full regen breaking after charging to 100 percent. Stop changing the facts. This is not my first EV. Your opinions are not helpful at all.
+1 @Neurio s comment, if you charge to 100 and unplug and drive to 50mph and let go of the brakes and there is regen, you have a faulty car lol

Still, incorrect. After the two incidents, I have full regen breaking after charging to 100 percent. Stop changing the facts. This is not my first EV. Your opinions are not helpful at all.
Let’s try and keep a civil tone, please. We try not to talk to each other that way.

People are trying to help you. It’s fine to disagree, but let’s be a bit more polite about it.

Also, you’re just not correct. There’s no opinion involved. Regen will not function when your Lucid is at 100% SoC. Charge to 100, put the car in drive, accelerate to a road speed, let go of the accelerator, and the car will not stop without applying the brake pedal.

Some other EVs will compensate in this situation and apply regular brakes automatically. That’s not regen. Teslas throw up a warning telling you regen will not function. Many of us have been hoping Lucid would do something similar, as we’ve all felt the loss of regen when we charge to full for road trips.

As someone else put it, if your car feels like it is still doing regen at 100%, you should call service. That is not normal behavior.

Again. Not an opinion. We’re saying this from experience. Talk to service.

Thank you. I embrace chutzpah, although I know nothing about @hmp10! Actually, I think it's less than a month. I am not new to EVs; my last one had regen 100 percent. As I said in my post, the first two times I charged, it was working wonky initially but the last time I charged the regen braking worked fine immediately, which is my experience.

Thank you. I embrace chutzpah, although I know nothing about @hmp10! Actually, I think it's less than a month. I am not new to EVs; my last one had regen 100 percent. As I said in my post, the first two times I charged, it was working wonky initially but the last time I charged the regen braking worked fine immediately, which is my experience.
Let me clarify a few things to help you. This is also not my first EV. Different EVs have different programming for the regenerative systems. There are some that use the actual brakes to simulate regeneration so the driver has a similar experience regardless of battery charge level. Some will also allow regeneration into the upper level buffer, which is really not considered healthy for the battery. Since the Lucid does not use the physical brakes to simulate regeneration, and does not allow charging above the indicated 100%, it will not slow down as forcefully as usual when the battery is full. We are hoping they will add a warning to the dashboard to let us know, although to me it seems kind of silly… We just need to know and understand our cars!
You mentioned above that your car still regenerates after charging… That is of course true, unless you charge to 100%. To convince yourself, charge your car all the way to 100%, get up to a certain level of speed and let go of the accelerator. You will find that while it slows some due to friction and wind resistance, it doesn’t slow as quickly as usually expected due to the lack of regeneration.

A regenerative braking limited warning would be nice to have. I would also like a subtle indicator that shows when the brake lights are illuminated from regen. A pixel or 2 red line below the indicated speed. I only charge to 100% when I think it will be needed on road trips, so probably only few dozen times. It definitely gets your attention at the first stop when you lift off the accelerator and nothing happens.

My first encounter with this was when our Lucid was returned from a Service Center where, unbeknownst to me, the charge limit had been moved up to 100% from the 80% at which I usually keep it. As soon as I noticed the car had charged up to 100% I took it out for a drive to bring the charge down to 80% so that it would not sit any longer near full charge. I was driving down our road at about 50 mph as I approached the T-intersection at the end of our road. I wasn't really thinking about the effect on regenerative braking until I lifted off the accelerator and in a moment realized the car was not slowing. I had to get on the brake pedal pronto. It was not until the car dropped to around 96% that regenerative braking returned to a useful level.

(In this drive, when my only goal was to drain the battery as quickly as I could, I was amazed and a bit frustrated by how long it took. With me driving as aggressively as I dared -- sometimes punching it hard well into triple digits when conditions allowed -- it took about 60 miles to get the battery down to 80%.)

A regenerative braking limited warning would be nice to have. I would also like a subtle indicator that shows when the brake lights are illuminated from regen. A pixel or 2 red line below the indicated speed. I only charge to 100% when I think it will be needed on road trips, so probably only few dozen times. It definitely gets your attention at the first stop when you lift off the accelerator and nothing happens.
This is right on all counts - especially because as much as many of us seem to/probably do baby and love the car, sometimes someone else needs to drive i! Like a spouse, or even other family or friend. Or even for myself, if I ever do need to go up to 100%, where the active thinking about it, vs the habit of hundreds of hours of driving it with full regen available, may forget for a second, and that could be quite dangerous. A little red icon right below the speed would be great.

Regen braking can and does happen at 100%. However, it is wildly unpredictable and the car doesn't even warn you abut this.

I've had my car for more than a year and 22,000 miles, and i'm quite certain of this. Sometimes the regen is full strength, sometimes it's low, sometimes it even changes strength mid-slowdown (which is of course jarring).

But for those of you saying that it can "never happen at 100%", that is not correct. I would not comfortably rely on regen at any SOC above 80% though.

I'd go one step further; HA is already using physical brakes when slowing down but only at high SOCs. Lucid knows how much regen is available at any given time, and it clearly knows how much physical braking force is needed to slow the car at any time.

Therefore, at high states of charge, the car should seamlessly blend regen and physical braking to be imperceptible to the driver, except for a brief notice saying "Regen may be limited and supplemented by physical braking".

Let me clarify a few things to help you. This is also not my first EV. Different EVs have different programming for the regenerative systems. There are some that use the actual brakes to simulate regeneration so the driver has a similar experience regardless of battery charge level. Some will also allow regeneration into the upper level buffer, which is really not considered healthy for the battery. Since the Lucid does not use the physical brakes to simulate regeneration, and does not allow charging above the indicated 100%, it will not slow down as forcefully as usual when the battery is full. We are hoping they will add a warning to the dashboard to let us know, although to me it seems kind of silly… We just need to know and understand our cars!
You mentioned above that your car still regenerates after charging… That is of course true, unless you charge to 100%. To convince yourself, charge your car all the way to 100%, get up to a certain level of speed and let go of the accelerator. You will find that while it slows some due to friction and wind resistance, it doesn’t slow as quickly as usually expected due to the lack of regeneration.
Sometimes you have to eat crow. Today it's my day. I took someone's advice and called Lucid Service and they did say that I would not have regen braking at 100% SOC
To those who provided additional information, thank you, especially hmp10 and bobby.

That said, I have read all the other posts and it appears I am not alone in thinking I have regen braking at 100% SOC, I will have to pay closer attention to this when I unplug. I only charge once a week so I won't know again until next Monday.

Bill

Sometimes you have to eat crow. Today it's my day. I took someone's advice and called Lucid Service and they did say that I would not have regen braking at 100% SOC
To those who provided additional information, thank you, especially hmp10 and bobby.

That said, I have read all the other posts and it appears I am not alone in thinking I have regen braking at 100% SOC, I will have to pay closer attention to this when I unplug. I only charge once a week so I won't know again until next Monday.

Bill
FYI, unless you were planning an extensive road trip that requires the most range, it is not healthy for your battery to charge it to 100%. Usually, you’ll set your battery charge max to 80% on the pilot panel.

This

FYI, unless you were planning an extensive road trip that requires the most range, it is not healthy for your battery to charge it to 100%. Usually, you’ll set your battery charge max to 80% on the pilot panel.
THank you. I am going to charge next time to 100 percent, just to see if I can replicate what I think happened. After that, I was planning to reset the maximum SOC to 80 percent.

Regen is erratic. Today with 45F temps and SOC 70% I have almost no regen. Settings are Smooth / Regen High.

I usually drive with one pedal driving. Regen did not stop the vehicle today.

Regen was very consistent and high performing until the last several weeks. It behaves differently now. It is erratic.

Please do not respond about state of charge and temperature dynamics. I understand all of that. This is a clear problem.

This needs to be fixed Lucid.

Regen is erratic. Today with 45F temps and SOC 70% I have almost no regen. Settings are Smooth / Regen High.

I usually drive with one pedal driving. Regen did not stop the vehicle today.

Regen was very consistent and high performing until the last several weeks. It behaves differently now. It is erratic.

Please do not respond about state of charge and temperature dynamics. I understand all of that. This is a clear problem.

This needs to be fixed Lucid.
You may have something wrong with your vehicle. I have never, ever experienced a loss of regenerative braking except when charged at or near 100%.

You may have something wrong with your vehicle. I have never, ever experienced a loss of regenerative braking except when charged at or near 100%.

Yes, this can happen. It happened to us intermittently on a trip to Charleston and occurred when we were driving slowly on city streets. Zero regen. The regen returned each time the car rebooted while parked. The car went in for service at the end of the trip, and the problem never returned. I assume it was a software issue but was not told the actual cause.

Back