Regenerative braking and collision avoidance when in reverse

rwnorman

Cars
2022 Air Grand touring
I regularly back out of my driveway (i.e. in reverse). As I near the street, I lift my foot from the accelerator and the regenerative braking kicks in and slows the Air as expected. If the car detects cross traffic approaching on the street and it thinks I am not going to stop in time, the regenerative braking will stop “braking,” the car will then accelerate backwards for a moment and then the collision avoidance system will slam on the brakes. (In case relevant, my driveway slopes down toward the street.)

The overall effect is a slow deceleration, followed by an acceleration, followed by a fast deceleration. It has not put me in a position where I am at risk of being hit by cross traffic, but it is a disconcerting and uncomfortable “process.”

Have others experienced this? Seems like a software issue that Lucid might want to fix at some point, unless it’s just me.

Ah, you have listed my #2 complaint about the car, which I’ve been complaining about for over a year, and I greatly hope they will change collision avoidance to add an “alert only without intervention” option. I absolutely love the car, best car I’ve ever had, and collision avoidance has actually saved me from an accident in a parking lot before, but they gotta fix this. When I back out of my driveway if there’s a car on the road that has stopped to let me back out, the Lucid will slam on the brakes and not let me back out. So I’ve disabled that feature.

Ah, you have listed my #2 complaint about the car, which I’ve been complaining about for over a year, and I greatly hope they will change collision avoidance to add an “alert only without intervention” option. I absolutely love the car, best car I’ve ever had, and collision avoidance has actually saved me from an accident in a parking lot before, but they gotta fix this. When I back out of my driveway if there’s a car on the road that has stopped to let me back out, the Lucid will slam on the brakes and not let me back out. So I’ve disabled that feature.

This is not a Lucid problem; it is an ADAS problem. I live on the west side of a street; when I back out into the southbound lane, the ADAS system on my electrified Genesis G80 loaner detects a car driving on the northbound side and slams on the brakes on my car. The first time it happened I almost had to return to the house for fresh clothes.

This is not a Lucid problem; it is an ADAS problem. I live on the west side of a street; when I back out into the southbound lane, the ADAS system on my electrified Genesis G80 loaner detects a car driving on the northbound side and slams on the brakes on my car. The first time it happened I almost had to return to the house for fresh clothes.
Yep, I have this same experience, though it’s different from what I tried to describe in my first post. That said, in my Air, the best solution I have found to the ADAS system slamming on the brakes for a passing car in the “far” lane is to turn the steering wheel sharply as I reverse out of the driveway. That seems to convince the ADAS system that I’m not crossing into the far lane.

Oh yeah other cars do it, actually my Mercedes did it. Which is why I switched it to alert only, which the Lucid doesn’t allow….yet 😉

Back