DDP and SSP Trial Period-info for before finalizing orders

Halodde

Cars
Lucid Air Touring
Good morning, all. I'm not sure if this has been reported before but thought it might be useful information I got from my DA Monday. I had DDP and SSP on my original order but made some changes based on production timelines etc... Now with the $7500 credit being offered, I revisited ALL of the available options before finalizing my configuration. While I felt/feel strongly about equipping my touring with DDP hardware, like others, I am not really sure if it is worth it RIGHT NOW based on the limited functionality and also the geofenced areas where it can be used to it's current maximum capacity. So, I started asking my DA questions about that and decided that I was not going to order (buy) DDP or SSP up front. Since all currently produced vehicles have the hardware for DDP and SSP, I decided to go for the 90 day trial before making the call on whether or not it is currently worth it. In that discussion, it was presented to me that if I order DDP up front, it would add $9k to my price (legacy). However, if I decide that I want it at the end of the 90 trial, they are going to charge me $10k. While I wasn't really happy about that, I decided it was worth it to have the trial and drive the car in my regular sales area before deciding if the DDP features that are currently available are worth the investment. If so, I will cough up another $10k. If not, I just saved myself $9k AND, very importantly, still have the hardware for future activation and/or possible resale value. Food for thought. Hope this helps some others.

I'm guessing there will at some point be a discount to activate DDP after the trial. Especially if they want to sell it further into the car's useful life.

Right now, from my point of view $10k is a real hard sell for
  • highway assist which wanders within the lane
  • surround view I rarely find myself looking at
  • blind spot cameras whose images (for me) are largely blocked by the steering wheel.
(My delivery SA seemed to think the camera views would remain even after DDP is disabled.)
But my opinion is but one of many :)

Was offered the same option as well. I ended up paying for both DDP and SSP upfront, mostly because:
1. Highway Assist is still extremely good in its current iteration already, as many other owners agree on
2. 360 Top down view is really amazing for parking. Definitely one of those things that once you have it, you can't really go without it
3. SSP was like... 3k more on a 110k vehicle.. and I love high end audio. Might as well throw it in :)

All in all.. I think it's great that Lucid offered this option to us. For me, it came down to ultimately I was going to get these features anyways, might as well save the ~2k or so. Another thing to note is that if you are doing financing, you can finance the cost of the DDP+SSP upgrades at the cheaper prices, but if you want the DDP+SSP after the end of the 90-day trial, you will have to lump sum it.

I'm guessing there will at some point be a discount to activate DDP after the trial. Especially if they want to sell it further into the car's useful life.

• blind spot cameras whose images (for me) are largely blocked by the steering wheel.
(My delivery SA seemed to think the camera views would remain even after DDP is disabled.)
Concur!

-HA does not wander for me.
-Surround view is one of those things you get used to and them wonder how you ever did without!
-I use the cameras all the time... car has pretty big blind spots... perhaps adjust your wheel/seat position.

-HA does not wander for me.
-Surround view is one of those things you get used to and them wonder how you ever did without!
-I use the cameras all the time... car has pretty big blind spots... perhaps adjust your wheel/seat position.
Haven’t spent that much time out where you are but I think the roads here are much worse, with many more faded lane markings. Plus, a lot of drivers with little to no interest in defensive driving or traffic laws. And lots of potholes. On top of the wandering, if I have to pay just as much attention, what’s the point? Glad others find it more useful though.

Agree in general about surround view. It just does not justify the cost by itself.

I don’t have trouble with blind spots with my wing mirrors adjusted properly. But I’ll try again with the seat/wheel.

Username checks out.
I honestly am not trolling. I just never found it an inconvenience to turn the steering wheel even for long periods of time. If this is not the forum to learn what I’m missing, I won’t carry the discussion along that line.

I honestly am not trolling. I just never found it an inconvenience to turn the steering wheel even for long periods of time. If this is not the forum to learn what I’m missing, I won’t carry the discussion along that line.
I'm sure @Bobby was just kidding. If you enjoy driving, which it sounds like many of us do, then having the lane automatically centered for you isn't a big thing. But for longer trips (I've done about 5,000 in road trips just in the last few months), or if for medical reasons (like my wife) your hands aren't so steady, then this can make for a smooth trip. For local trips I'd not bother to engage driver assistance. And bad roads? I doubt the car can miss those holes in the road or road debris as well as I can.
Some day you can tell us the story behind your userid ... I know you've mentioned there is one.

Knowing Bobby as I do, I am very sure he was just having a little fun.

The current state of ADAS is such that it’s more a slight relief for longer road trips, not so much a full takeover of your personal duties as a driver. Many really want cars that can drive themselves, and I’m sure that will happen in my lifetime. But far too many folks have been convinced it’s already here, which is unfortunate. Tech geeks like me have a tendency to trust technology long before it’s ready. We see the promise and get caught up in believing what it might be able to do in ten years it already can. And then people listening to us get caught up in that belief as well.

So yeah. Right now, there isn’t much point in using these systems unless you want to give your foot and hands a bit of a rest on a long trip. (Which in itself is a great benefit.) But eventually it will be able to do much more. Just not now. Don’t let anyone with any car from any manufacturer convince you otherwise.

I'm sure @Bobby was just kidding. If you enjoy driving, which it sounds like many of us do, then having the lane automatically centered for you isn't a big thing. But for longer trips (I've done about 5,000 in road trips just in the last few months), or if for medical reasons (like my wife) your hands aren't so steady, then this can make for a smooth trip. For local trips I'd not bother to engage driver assistance. And bad roads? I doubt the car can miss those holes in the road or road debris as well as I can.
Some day you can tell us the story behind your userid ... I know you've mentioned there is one.
All in good fun :)

Makes sense, especially if unsteady hands. Goes to show you we all have different needs. I'm sure I will want this capability when it matures a bit more, and I'm glad people are using it now - nothing like real world use to illuminate how software can be improved.

The story behind my forum handle is boring and has to do with having a laugh choosing a pseudonym for college dorm LAN gaming that was the opposite of the usual self-aggrandizing ones people chose. The in-joke has stuck for a couple decades now.

Back