Another front license plate question

I can attest that the City of Santa Ana CA tickets for no front plate at a whopping $122. I was so pissed as I hadn't even gotten my plates yet. I am contesting it, no update yet. I am currently waiting for my decal plate.
If I recall, Lucid specifically asks you to sign a waiver if you refuse the front plate bracket install. If you don't, you get a temporary front plate, same as in the rear.

I’ve seen lots of questions about front license plates and alternatives, but I haven’t heard anyone ask the basic question. Why do so many Lucid (and Tesla) drivers not want a front plate?

Is it purely aesthetics? Or does it somehow affect the range or acceleration of the car?

My DA has asked me whether I want the holes or not, and I haven’t yet answered her.
It's aesthetics on many types of cars, not just Tesla or Lucid. My Mercedes doesn't have one either. In some states (California for example) it is the law to have on a front plate, so it's the risk you're willing to take and possibly also how many LEO's you have as friends or family ;)

I just received my Colorado plates yesterday, after five months + one week of having the car. The entire time I had a temp AZ plate in back and nothing up front. I assumed that was okay, and no one here bothered me about it. I have heard parking cops will fine people in Denver for not having a front plate on, but I even parked down there a number of times and nothing happened. But I knew once I got my "real" plates I was going to be in compliance and put the front one on. Not the end of the world. I greatly prefer the car with no front plate, of course, but I'm not going to play around with getting potentially harassed for it by cops.

I am a new Lucid owner, and I been trying to read all the threads on the front license plate but I haven't found a straight answer, if anybody has been sucesful to find a NON DRILL solution (not wrap, since am in Texas). I also done some searching online, but nothing seems to be readily available. Anybody had any luck finding one, and if you don't mind could you provide info.

Thanks again, and sorry if the answer is buried somewhere in some thread (still to find it)

I am a new Lucid owner, and I been trying to read all the threads on the front license plate but I haven't found a straight answer, if anybody has been sucesful to find a NON DRILL solution (not wrap, since am in Texas). I also done some searching online, but nothing seems to be readily available. Anybody had any luck finding one, and if you don't mind could you provide info.

Thanks again, and sorry if the answer is buried somewhere in some thread (still to find it)
As far as I know, no non-drill option exists at this time.

I took a gamble on double sided trim tape and used that on the PPF covered bumper.

The look isn't ideal because the plate and frame is on, but I feel better there aren't holes. It's held up and going strong since June.

My one hesitation is that I drive to San Francisco about twice a month. Other postings in this forum seem to claim that SF cops *love* to ticket parked cars withot plates.
. . .
Not true at all. SF cops have bigger things to worry about than front plates. Parking enforcement agents on the other hand make a point when they see certain brands that they know have a high rate of missing plates, so if I go to SF I'll use a private parking lot/structure. I wouldn't risk parking on the street even once. The fine is much lower if you put the front plate on later and say that you are in compliance. You need a cop to sign off, but it doesn't matter which agency. The strange part is that the form asks for a signature and badge number but no agency, so I can't imagine how they'd have any idea, especially since it's a clerk who wants to get things done as fast as possible.

I do not believe this is legal, fwiw, so be careful.
Probably not. In California I doubt that anybody would look at it closely enough or would know that it's not from the official company. I have no idea about other states.

The problem I have is that it takes a long time to get plates (if they are custom) and I can't order the legitimate adhesive one until the ones come from the DMV. It would be pointless to drill holes in the meantime, so I'm just keeping the temporary one on the rear. Supposedly there's a grace period for those, and I don't think that ordering an off brand one is necessary, but if I got one, and later ordered the real one, I'd have the authorization letter.

Probably not. In California I doubt that anybody would look at it closely enough or would know that it's not from the official company. I have no idea about other states.

The problem I have is that it takes a long time to get plates (if they are custom) and I can't order the legitimate adhesive one until the ones come from the DMV. It would be pointless to drill holes in the meantime, so I'm just keeping the temporary one on the rear. Supposedly there's a grace period for those, and I don't think that ordering an off brand one is necessary, but if I got one, and later ordered the real one, I'd have the authorization letter.
Yeah, it's really crazy that getting a custom plate should take 9 to 12 months. I'm at month 7 now. I think DMV needs to hire a private company for this, since they obviously can't handle the work.

While I agree the wait for custom plates is absurd, the licenseplatewrap is super quick once you have your plates. I think it took like a week.

I do not believe this is legal, fwiw, so be careful.
Unfortunately that's true, it's not legal in N.Y. I was even told by my BMW dealer (not sure if this is true) that the fine for a 'phony' plate can be higher than not having one at all. :(

So for the BMW I bought a bracket that easily attaches and detaches to the underside. The license plate fits on the end of the bracket. So when I'm in the small towns in Nassau & Suffolk on L.I. and I'm driving the i4, I make sure and attach the bracket if I'm parking on the street.

I had spoken to the manufacturer of this device to see if they made one for the Lucid, but he said no. He was very amenable to working one up if I provided him with some measurements. I never did, but I suppose it remains an option.

I’ve seen lots of questions about front license plates and alternatives, but I haven’t heard anyone ask the basic question. Why do so many Lucid (and Tesla) drivers not want a front plate?

Is it purely aesthetics? Or does it somehow affect the range or acceleration of the car?

My DA has asked me whether I want the holes or not, and I haven’t yet answered her.

I concur with Billvb, purely aesthetics. On other cars I've been without a front plate for 30+ years always at risk of getting a ticket where I live, Illinois. Chicago seems to be the only place I get tickets for this transgression (a number of years ago after getting booted at O'Hare I installed an under the bumper flip down mounted plate holder) However, being that the Lucid is my wife's drive I won't subject her to this and had the front plate mounted.

For those owners in Colorado, we have had our Lucid for 2 years now with no plate on the front and no hassle from local, county or state police. We bought a stick-on one just in case but would be hard pressed to find it anymore.

This was the one I used on my BMW.

Yeah, it's really crazy that getting a custom plate should take 9 to 12 months. I'm at month 7 now. I think DMV needs to hire a private company for this, since they obviously can't handle the work.
Indeed if a private company operated that way, they'd be considered in violation of the law for mail order purposes. When they realize that it will go beyond 30 days before delivery, a private company would be obligated to notify me, give me an estimated date and give me the opportunity to cancel the order with no penalty. The DMV in California will take your money and just have you wait, with no way to find out the status.

Unfortunately that's true, it's not legal in N.Y. I was even told by my BMW dealer (not sure if this is true) that the fine for a 'phony' plate can be higher than not having one at all. :(
Probably, but that would typically be in the case of fraud. If you aren't doing it to try to display a fake plate number, obscure anything or do anything malicious, a judge isn't likely to want to hammer you with a big fine for what might have been an honest mistake. A cop might give you a ticket, and go for the maximum, especially if the cop has been on the force for only a few years and thinks that going by the book is the right thing to do. There are cops who will go after people for these sorts of things, but Lucid owners won't be their target demographic.

Probably, but that would typically be in the case of fraud. If you aren't doing it to try to display a fake plate number, obscure anything or do anything malicious, a judge isn't likely to want to hammer you with a big fine for what might have been an honest mistake. A cop might give you a ticket, and go for the maximum, especially if the cop has been on the force for only a few years and thinks that going by the book is the right thing to do. There are cops who will go after people for these sorts of things, but Lucid owners won't be their target demographic.
I’ve passed hundreds and hundreds of Nassau & Suffolk County cops and have never gotten pulled over for not having a front plate on either my Lucid or BMW. However a small town (Pt Washington) cop did ticket both my parked BMW and a Tesla right in front of me for not having a front plate.

That‘s what prompted me to get the StoNSho solution for a temporary mounting. I have no desire to continue to fill the coffers of these small town governments.

Has anyone found a "tow eye" mount to be a good front plate solution?

Back