License plate frame issue - be careful

abbas2099

Verified Owner
Cars
Matte Black AGT
Went to my car to remove my license plate frame on the rear of the car as I am getting it wrapped next week so it doesn’t get lost. I noticed one of the license plate screws was missing. I initially thought someone was trying to steal my license plate frame. Before you ask why would anyone want to steal a license plate frame, it is an 11-99 Foundation frame ( only CA drivers will know what that is ). As I was unscrewing the remaining screws, I noticed they were loose and literally popped out with their gold backings. A simple pull on the license plate would have popped those screws out. As I carefully checked out the mounting frame, I noticed the gold backings are just slightly larger than the holes so on these hot summer days like today and the screws and the backing being metal, it softens the plastic frame causing the nut backings to pop out with the screws attached.

Be careful not to lose your plate(s). I only have back plates on so I don’t know how the front ones are mounted. I texted support and they want to send someone out to put the plates back on but I question the backings. I am going to try and put wider nuts behind the mounting frame after the wrap to hopefully avoid this issue.

Attachments

• 97CDC165-59A1-4000-B273-D018EA8B6762.jpeg
    97CDC165-59A1-4000-B273-D018EA8B6762.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 185
Went to my car to remove my license plate frame on the rear of the car as I am getting it wrapped next week so it doesn’t get lost. I noticed one of the license plate screws was missing. I initially thought someone was trying to steal my license plate frame. Before you ask why would anyone want to steal a license plate frame, it is an 11-99 Foundation frame ( only CA drivers will know what that is ). As I was unscrewing the remaining screws, I noticed they were loose and literally popped out with their gold backings. A simple pull on the license plate would have popped those screws out. As I carefully checked out the mounting frame, I noticed the gold backings are just slightly larger than the holes so on these hot summer days like today and the screws and the backing being metal, it softens the plastic frame causing the nut backings to pop out with the screws attached.

Be careful not to lose your plate(s). I only have back plates on so I don’t know how the front ones are mounted. I texted support and they want to send someone out to put the plates back on but I question the backings. I am going to try and put wider nuts behind the mounting frame after the wrap to hopefully avoid this issue.
I had the same issue months ago. The metal anchors back out when you unscrew the plate. You have to take the anchors off and tread them back into the plastic. Press in anchors would solve the problem.

I had the same issue (see here).

TL;DR: it's a known issue. Don't overtighten the screws when you put your plate on. Lucid will replace the entire bracket/mount once free of charge.

2 of the anchors are gone. I think those anchors need to be wider

I will probably get a wrap around front plate and I am in CA. I do take visitors to San Francisco.

Back