2.4.0 / 2.4.2 OTA

Not sure about everyone else, but I have 2.4.2 installed on my Lucid Air tonight. Check it out 😁
1000000847.webp

Anyone notice differences with the audio quality with the new update? Or less glitchy XM/TIDAL/CARPLAY interface?

That's true to some extent, but the question is where buyers want it to be compared to what you consider the baseline. At this point, it does most of what my 2014 Tesla does, only it does a better job of monitoring the steering wheel. When it did less, it was a show stopper, until late last year when I felt that it was close enough that the advantages of the car made up for the lack of ADAS, with a reasonable expectation that the current update was a matter of time.

Compared to a Tesla with FSD, I don't miss much of that capability. Vehicle initiated automatic lane changes are nice only in areas where freeway systems are very complex, and it would be hard to be in the proper lane without it. But for familiar areas, I can do a better job. As far as automated local street driving, there are times when I'd want the Lucid to do nothing more or less than what it does on limited access highways. Other vehicles come with a warning not to use the features on local streets but leave it up to the driver. But there are times when it will be safe and appropriate to use it when Lucid prohibits it.

Overall, there's a lot more that Lucid could do, but not a lot more that I have a practical need for. Being able to move the car back and forth from outside the car would be nice, for tight garages and parking spaces though, and it's already on much less expensive cars.
While I think Tesla was/is an important pioneer in the EV business (cars and charging network), I would not consider buying a Tesla. Mostly, I think Tesla promises features that don't work well an don't work safely. While there are plenty of great technical innovations, are the products ready for general deployment? FSD being a good example. Tesla's build-quality is generally poor.

In contrast, Lucid is more "conservative". Lucid's ADAS/DDPro vision promised a lot of capabilities, charged a lot of $$ for the features, and is/was way behind the industry baseline in delivering. Until 2.4.2 update, Lucid's ADSD features were about the same as my 2017 Lexus RX450H.

Aside from ADAS, Lucid generally suffers from a lack of quality control on their SW and even worse, lack of communication in their bug fixes and new features deployment. More than 2 years after introducing the Lucid Air, it is still unclear to me when/if Lidar will benefit the Lucid. It appears to be a systemic issue at Lucid.

When my friends ask my opinion on my Lucid, I'd say, it is a great mechanical car but the SW is sub-par.

I am waiting with baited-breath on Tesla's upcoming mega event in October RE: robo-taxi. This is supposed to be a game changer for Tesla and for the industry. I hope it is not just FSD without an operator. 😉

... it is still unclear to me when/if Lidar will benefit the Lucid....When my friends ask my opinion on my Lucid, I'd say, it is a great mechanical car but the SW is sub-par...
Prior to the 2.4.x software release, I felt the same. Now I'd say the car's software is right about at par, except for lack of Android Auto, and I'm much more comfortable recommending the car to others.

I was driving our other EV yesterday, and was frankly shocked to find myself thinking about how much I preferred the Air's software. That had never happened in the two years I've owned the car.

BTW I asked and was told at a Lucid Owner's event, by someone who would definitely know, that the Air's lidar is already being used in DDPro. The tone of the answer was in the "of course" range.

Prior to the 2.4.x software release, I felt the same. Now I'd say the car's software is right about at par, except for lack of Android Auto, and I'm much more comfortable recommending the car to others.

I was driving our other EV yesterday, and was frankly shocked to find myself thinking about how much I preferred the Air's software. That had never happened in the two years I've owned the car.
No doubt 2.4.2 is a big step in the right direction. I'd still rate my Rivian SW better than Lucid's.

That said, witness the pandemonium in this thread RE: OTA 2.4.0/2.4.2 bugs, fixes, and what next! Managing SW quality at Lucid and the OTA deployment and communication process is still sub-par.

Having been involved in consumer-facing HW/SW integration business for a good part of my career, I know this stuff is not easy. Nevertheless, Lucid has to get a lot better than they are doing to be competitive.

Does Hey Lucid control the massage seats?
Now that's a great question! Other than that I'm just a knuckle dragger that does voice texting and calling while driving the AGT like I stole 90% of the time, which IMO is what driving a performance vehicle is all about.

Driving to work yesterday I was a bit startled when Lane Departure Protection intervened despite it being fully disabled.
Turning it on then off again resolved the issue.
This is the 2nd unexpected behavior I’ve witnessed during a rollout.
The other was an error message for cameras being inoperable.
I think this adds further evidence supporting the theory that the software is being updated behinds the scenes.
I’m on 2.3.10 and haven’t received notification of an available update.

Aside from ADAS, Lucid generally suffers from a lack of quality control on their SW and even worse, lack of communication in their bug fixes and new features deployment. More than 2 years after introducing the Lucid Air, it is still unclear to me when/if Lidar will benefit the Lucid. It appears to be a systemic issue at Lucid.

When my friends ask my opinion on my Lucid, I'd say, it is a great mechanical car but the SW is sub-par.
This is changing rapidly. 2.4 is a major release, and while it has some bugs on older vehicles, the majority of people who have installed it have had no issues. The rest of the updates slated for this year should be very exciting.

I hope it is not just FSD without an operator. 😉
I'd bet $20 that's precisely what it will be, and Twitter will go nuts, and then it won't launch for years, and when it does it will be extremely tiny scale, and Waymo will still beat them. 🤷‍♂️

Why? Two simple reasons:
1) Elon has always overpromised and underdelivered. CyberTruck is a fantastic example of that. NACS and 1000V charging is another. And where's my Roadster?
2) Elon just isn't there. There is no focus. Tesla is running bare, and losing people to other manufacturers regularly.

Just my two cents

Not sure about everyone else, but I have 2.4.2 installed on my Lucid Air tonight. Check it out 😁View attachment 23280
Your Lucid has some fit and finish issues but even more concerning, the rear roof glass is missing and your car somehow also has horns in its place. I recommend contacting your advisor

Back