Where is Dream Drive ?

Z-Squad

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Grand Touring
DE Number
So friend of mine just received his GT 1 week ago and I was excited to go test drive it since last one I was able to test drive was at showroom and was told by sales that it was more of a prototype so didn't have full functionality. My GT is still on order -- expected end of 2022 because of trim I selected -- currently a Tesla S owner (2014) and do a fair amount of highway driving ~ 150 miles each way to a second home every other weekend. Best feature is the Tesla autonomous driving (even on the 2014). Since I couldn't test this feature in 12/2021 on the demo Lucid car, I was excited to do so on the real thing. Well........out on the highwyay trying to engage it and only can get Adaptive Cruise Control to work. Thought we were doing something wrong so my friend contacted customer service. After pulling teeth for a straight answer, he sheepishly admitted that it is not yet available and still "high on the list" for the engineers at Lucid to figure out and roll out. WTF!!! My friend was one pissed off owner as am I one pissed off future (potential) owner. No one even bothered to let him know at delivery -- when you spend $140K you would expect a full featured car. When pushed, the customer service rep said he has no certain date when it would be avialable.

My questions:
1) Why am I not seeing this all over the blogs and user forums -- why aren't other users as pissed about this ?
2) How are the reviews on Lucid claiming that the Lucid autonomous Level 2 and 3 driving is far superior to Tesla and others when it doesn't yet exist ?

I'm about ready to cancel my order and go with something like the Mercedes EQS or wait for the EQE.

Would welcome any insight from those of you who are current users or know a thing or two about this topic.

So friend of mine just received his GT 1 week ago and I was excited to go test drive it since last one I was able to test drive was at showroom and was told by sales that it was more of a prototype so didn't have full functionality. My GT is still on order -- expected end of 2022 because of trim I selected -- currently a Tesla S owner (2014) and do a fair amount of highway driving ~ 150 miles each way to a second home every other weekend. Best feature is the Tesla autonomous driving (even on the 2014). Since I couldn't test this feature in 12/2021 on the demo Lucid car, I was excited to do so on the real thing. Well........out on the highwyay trying to engage it and only can get Adaptive Cruise Control to work. Thought we were doing something wrong so my friend contacted customer service. After pulling teeth for a straight answer, he sheepishly admitted that it is not yet available and still "high on the list" for the engineers at Lucid to figure out and roll out. WTF!!! My friend was one pissed off owner as am I one pissed off future (potential) owner. No one even bothered to let him know at delivery -- when you spend $140K you would expect a full featured car. When pushed, the customer service rep said he has no certain date when it would be avialable.

My questions:
1) Why am I not seeing this all over the blogs and user forums -- why aren't other users as pissed about this ?
2) How are the reviews on Lucid claiming that the Lucid autonomous Level 2 and 3 driving is far superior to Tesla and others when it doesn't yet exist ?

I'm about ready to cancel my order and go with something like the Mercedes EQS or wait for the EQE.

Would welcome any insight from those of you who are current users or know a thing or two about this topic.
It clearly states when ordering a Lucid that DreamDrive Pro is a future feature.

No one even bothered to let him know at delivery -- when you spend $140K you would expect a full featured car. When pushed, the customer service rep said he has no certain date when it would be avialable.

Perhaps your friend should research what he is purchasing for $140k instead of blaming others...

The only claims I've seen are about LIDAR in general, which are superior to the tech Tesla and some other automakers use. No one that I've seen claims to have reviewed DreamDrive Pro.

For what it's worth, Lucid has been very diligent in their software development in the last few months, and I expect Pro by the end of the year.

My questions:

Tesla currently charges $12k for what they promise as “Full-self driving,” meaning 100% level 5 autonomy. They still aren’t delivering anywhere near close to that promise a decade after shipping. And you expected Lucid to be where Tesla is now after shipping for 6 months?

My questions:

Quite honestly I’d expect anyone buying a car of this price would know something as well publicized as what software functions were available at this time - there is a lot of info on this both in online reviews and here on this site. As a former Tesla owner with FSD, I had enough experiences not to trust that limited feature. I’m certainly looking forward to more enhancements to my Lucid, but really prefer that it drives better, and is more comfortable.

If Lucid is claiming that it is a standard feature, then that means it should be standard on the cars it is delivering. In my book -- it is a bait and switch. If the full featured car is priced at $140,000+ then perhaps they should take partial payments for it and get paid the rest when they deliver on what they claim to be "standard" equipment.

This article was written almost 1 year ago.

Here's another article that claims "Lucid's DreamDrive Pro ADAS, announced last year, is standard in Lucid Air Dream Edition and Lucid Air Grand Touring and is optional in other Lucid Air models." No mention that it doesn't exist yet.

Oh boy, any minute now the Lucid FanBoys will start with the commentary.
Didn’t you know you were buying a beta car, didn’t you know they were a new comany and that there’d be teething issues, didn’t you know that the software would have growing pains, blah blah blah? Well if you didn’t then shame on you! I own a AGT and I totally feel like I was lied to by Lucid and am surprised that someone has not brought suit. Since I took delivery 3 months ago I believe I have had 3 software updates, of which none appreciably improved my ownership experience. Would I cancel my order today, probably not as I do hold out a sliver of hope that the software will improve. If I were a reservation holder at the new higher price, then that’d be a tough call, if the old price, then you have more flexibility and could probably sell the car and walk away mostly whole. Unfortunately I am seeing more and more Lucids on various car sale sites, I just counted 57 listings on autotrader. If i were to sell, I’d simply want to get close to what I paid and move on. I have not driven a model S for a few years, but I did not like the boat like handling, which may have improved, and the cheap interior. Only 2 AGT in my town and my buddy has his for sale. The car is quite nice to drive, but the rest is a massive ball or frustration. On the plus side the customer service people at Lucid really are patient, they are sincere, they are trying and they answer their phone, none of which is ever done at competitors. If I had a reservation I’d be in no hurry to take delivery, hopefully with each passing day they are learning and making progress.

Software programmers are in huge demand. Why join Lucid, $$ and stock options. I am assuming talented software engineers can almost write their ticket. If reviewing competing offers from Tesla, SalesForce, etc, why would one choose Lucid? I have my concerns. Best of luck with your tough decision.

Tesla currently charges $12k for what they promise as “Full-self driving,” meaning 100% level 5 autonomy. They still aren’t delivering anywhere near close to that promise a decade after shipping. And you expected Lucid to be where Tesla is now after shipping for 6 months?
I Paid for FSD on two model S ( 2015 and 2019). Got limited use on highway that degraded over time once the lawyers got involved and had the car nag you every 30 seconds to put your hands on the wheel. Hopefully Lucid when they bring out their system it will have more functionality and less annoying user interface

If Lucid is claiming that it is a standard feature, then that means it should be standard on the cars it is delivering. In my book -- it is a bait and switch. If the full featured car is priced at $140,000+ then perhaps they should take partial payments for it and get paid the rest when they deliver on what they claim to be "standard" equipment.

Here's another article that claims "Lucid's DreamDrive Pro ADAS, announced last year, is standard in Lucid Air Dream Edition and Lucid Air Grand Touring and is optional in other Lucid Air models." No mention that it doesn't exist yet.

Fair enough, but initial promotions of features of a car that hasn’t been released were followed by lots of information about what was still in development when it was released. A bit of due diligence would find that out easily. Quite different than the promises of Tesla FSD.

Fair enough, but initial promotions of features of a car that hasn’t been released were followed by lots of information about what was still in development when it was released. A bit of due diligence would find that out easily. Quite different than the promises of Tesla FSD.
Seriously, it’s a shame that Tesla has set this standard of selling features that aren’t done yet at full price. But that’s the industry now.

On the one hand, it’s nice that your car actually improves over time, which wasn’t the case prior to Tesla. But the downside is that there’s a lot of hand waving about things that will “eventually” be there.

Lucid is following this trend. They didn’t invent it. But they are leaning into it.

At least Lucid is not promising full autonomy on their cars. But Dream Drive Pro is definitely one of those items that will get more full-featured over time. It already has.

When I bought the car I knew (and tell my interested friends) that the car is a “work in progress.” Customer Support doesn’t have all of the answers, but they find them and reply promptly. I agree with others that there are certain features that should have been present at initial roll-out. Case in point: Apple Car Play. I assume that 90% of Lucid owners have Apple phones. To not have ACP is depriving us of functionality that could be immediately present, etc. So I don’t agree with all of Lucia’s software priorities, but had I wanted a fully developed car, I would have bought something else. What fun would that be? It’s much more exciting to see new functionality appear with the various upgrades that appear. No question that Lucid has to balance the issue of not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good, at least not if they want to stay in business.

What does that have to do with Dream Drive? First, the sales people with whom I spoke made it very clear early in the process that autonomous driving didn’t exist wasn’t currently functional, and that they had no idea when it would be provided. As for Adaptive Cruise and Highway Assist, this is where even the Customer Service people were not up to speed. As you know, the car’s Manual tells one how to switch back and forth between Adaptive Cruise and Highway Assist. I could never get that to work; the car always stayed in Adaptive Cruise mode. When I called CS, they inquired and got back to me with the answer: “Highway Assist isn’t functional yet.” For me, that was perhaps the only major disappointment that I’ve experienced because the expectation was created in the Operating Manual that the function was available. Regarding this particular feature (or any other one described in the manual) that doesn’t yet exist, the manual should clearly state that this feature will be available at a later date.

Oh boy, any minute now the Lucid FanBoys will start with the commentary.
Didn’t you know you were buying a beta car, didn’t you know they were a new comany and that there’d be teething issues, didn’t you know that the software would have growing pains, blah blah blah? Well if you didn’t then shame on you! I own a AGT and I totally feel like I was lied to by Lucid and am surprised that someone has not brought suit. Since I took delivery 3 months ago I believe I have had 3 software updates, of which none appreciably improved my ownership experience. Would I cancel my order today, probably not as I do hold out a sliver of hope that the software will improve. If I were a reservation holder at the new higher price, then that’d be a tough call, if the old price, then you have more flexibility and could probably sell the car and walk away mostly whole. Unfortunately I am seeing more and more Lucids on various car sale sites, I just counted 57 listings on autotrader. If i were to sell, I’d simply want to get close to what I paid and move on. I have not driven a model S for a few years, but I did not like the boat like handling, which may have improved, and the cheap interior. Only 2 AGT in my town and my buddy has his for sale. The car is quite nice to drive, but the rest is a massive ball or frustration. On the plus side the customer service people at Lucid really are patient, they are sincere, they are trying and they answer their phone, none of which is ever done at competitors. If I had a reservation I’d be in no hurry to take delivery, hopefully with each passing day they are learning and making progress.

Software programmers are in huge demand. Why join Lucid, $$ and stock options. I am assuming talented software engineers can almost write their ticket. If reviewing competing offers from Tesla, SalesForce, etc, why would one choose Lucid? I have my concerns. Best of luck with your tough decision.
What exactly makes you feel Lucid lied to you? That the software has some bugs? Or that CarPlay and DreamDrive are coming out later this year, which they have sent e-mails about and published multiple times?

I bought a 2016 Tesla P100D based on the video Tesla had on their website back in 2016 that showed the car driving itself. The car left the drivers home and went parked itself at the Tesla HQ in Palo Alto without touching the steeting wheel. I just sold the card last month and I can tell you that none of what they advertised back in 2016 came true for that car. Did I drink the Elon Musk Kool Aid? Hell yes… probably more than once. Now, fast forward to 2022 Lucid. I dont see any promising videos from a self driving Lucid but understand it is a new car company and I am growing thru the growing pains with them. Am I upset? Hell NO!!! I was so fed up with Tesla Customer service and that I enjoy my imperfect Lucid to its max. I hope they resolve the bugs from Dreamdrive before releasing but at this point, I think there is bigger things they need to fix with the software than Dreamdrive.

Also - I personally think most of the Lucids that are up for sale are for profit. So easy to take the $7500 tax credit and then sell the car for profit due to the demand and the higher sticker price.

What exactly makes you feel Lucid lied to you? That the software has some bugs? Or that CarPlay and DreamDrive are coming out later this year, which they have sent e-mails about and published multiple time

My car was delivered 12/31/2021. I do feel that I was misled and maybe lied to by omission, as to the quality and functionality of the software. There was no cruise control. The NAV system was un-useable and so many functions didn't work that I would characterize the software as alpha, at best. Yes, the software has gotten better but is still embarrassing for a $30,000 car much less a high-end luxury EV. The ACC, on my car at least, still has bugs so I would not consider using and semi-self-driving software from Lucid for at least a year or more.

If I was still waiting for my car, my concern would be the total lack transparency from Lucid as to the depth of the software development issues and realistic timelines.

I haven’t bothered to try ACC yet. But I have tried auto park 4 times, each time it impressed me correctly driving backward and aligned itself in between cars. I think it’s possible for autonomous highway navigation with auto lane switching down the road as with so many hardware cameras and expensive LiDAR. When? I don’t know, I don’t expect too high to get disappointed. I’ll let just Lucid naturally surprise me with OTA Updates. I’m still waiting for 1.2.10 open batch to me to download. I got my AGT in mid April, 4-5 upgrades in between, that’s about one upgrade per 400+ miles for me. I’m satisfied and happy with a fine luxury sports sedan that handles well and beats 99.5% of cars on the roads and is always improving gradually.

I haven’t bothered to try ACC yet. But I have tried auto park 4 times, each time it impressed me correctly driving backward and aligned itself in between cars. I think it’s possible for autonomous highway navigation with auto lane switching down the road as with so many hardware cameras and expensive LiDAR. When? I don’t know, I don’t expect too high to get disappointed. I’ll let just Lucid naturally surprise me with OTA Updates. I’m still waiting for 1.2.10 open batch to me to download. I got my AGT in mid April, 4-5 upgrades in between, that’s about one upgrade per 400+ miles for me. I’m satisfied and happy with a fine luxury sports sedan that handles well and beats 99.5% of cars on the roads and is always improving gradually.
My auto park gets it wrong everytime… tries to parallel park in perpendicular spots and perpendicular park in parallel spots…. Kinda crazy looking when the car swings 90 degrees out in the middle of the street for a parallel park. I am hoping it gets better with the software. I am still 1.2.7.

My auto park gets it wrong everytime… tries to parallel park in perpendicular spots and perpendicular park in parallel spots…. Kinda crazy looking when the car swings 90 degrees out in the middle of the street for a parallel park. I am hoping it gets better with the software. I am still 1.2.7.
You have to switch parallel or perpendicular after you select the space.

I would say that the ACC on my AGT is similar to or better than most cars I own or have driven, no complaints. I am not a fan of the cruise control controls and am hopeful that basic lane centering on the highway will come soon.

If you actually read the whole articles, you would have noticed this sentence: "With upgraded DreamDrive Pro, this semi-autonomous system will offer more advanced functionality on an expanding number of roadways in the coming years."

The only things listed as a current feature in that article that DD doesn't have yet is the traffic jam assist and highway lane centering. BUT these articles were also published before the first Dream Edition was delivered and are not from Lucid.

I'm not being a fanboy, as what I'm pointing out is fact. It's astonishing to me that someone bought the car and had no idea it doesn't yet do autonomous driving. Lucid's website is there for them to read, as is the vehicle manual, etc, and Lucid is very open about some features being enabled later. While I do agree it's not great for auto-makers to do the pay now/get feature later thing, and Lucid still owes some features to its owners, well Tesla laid the groundwork for that approach and there's a good deal of people from Tesla at Lucid (the CEO/CTO most of all), so it's kind of befuddling to me that someone would just buy this car without actually researching it and looking into those things. I do see that you looked into those things and that's ok if it doesn't meet your requirements, but we also all looked into those things and bought the car anyway, so I don't think that means that Lucid is some dishonest snake oil scam company that duped us all.

Back