Why Lucid defaults to smooth drive mode- found answer

gaskiller

“ While many EVs on the market have multiple drive modes that can drastically alter range, the EPA's new regulations are concerned only with those that "latch" into a drive mode every time the car is turned back on. That means cars that require you to engage sport mode before every drive, or reset back into a default drive mode overnight, are still tested only in their default setting. In these cars, manufacturers are given the option to either test with the car locked into its worst-case default drive mode for efficiency or average between a worst-case and best-case option. This is meant to capture real-world performance for owners who may choose to leave their cars latched in another drive mode. “

Explains why drive mode defaults to most range efficient setting - smooth

One thing I’ve wondered is whether or not range is affected simply by selecting Swift or even Sprint. In others words, if I drive the identical way in Smooth vs Sprint do I use more energy in Sprint? Thinking there may be additional battery or motor conditioning that comes with the more aggressive modes which may tax the battery. Anyone know the answer?

One thing I’ve wondered is whether or not range is affected simply by selecting Swift or even Sprint. In others words, if I drive the identical way in Smooth vs Sprint do I use more energy in Sprint? Thinking there may be additional battery or motor conditioning that comes with the more aggressive modes which may tax the battery. Anyone know the answer?
Sprint mode does do more battery conditioning so yes it will use more energy than smooth or swift even if driven the same.

What about Swift vs Smooth?
On the touring even the power output is supposedly the same between smooth and swift. Just the throttle mapping is different. From my experience it seems like Swift uses the Sprint throttle mapping from 0-50% annd makes it feel very quick for passing maneuvers and such and then the second half of the throttle pedal does nothing.

But I would bet there should be no impact to range between smooth and swift if driven at the exact same acceleration and speed

It's always been like this. My fossil fuel cars will keep eco mode on if you leave it there after driving, but always revert back to normal mode if left in sport.

It's always been like this. My fossil fuel cars will keep eco mode on if you leave it there after driving, but always revert back to normal mode if left in sport.
Yup. Agreed. It’s been this way for a long time even with the EPA. The only car I know of that “remembers” powertrain mode ironically are Teslas.

What about Swift vs Smooth?
There is no efficiency difference between swift and smooth as both have access to the same HP, but swift biases the car a bit more towards rear-wheel drive and I believe tightens the suspension a little so I prefer swift to smooth. Smooth was made much better by an OTA a few months back though, it actually corrected some understeer issues with it so sometimes I’ll leave it in smooth more than I used to.

but swift biases the car a bit more towards rear-wheel drive
You sure about this? It definitely tightens the suspension, but on the powertrain side it seems to me it just makes the throttle response more aggressive

Maybe you can ask the guy in the other thread you were disagreeing with who designed the suspension for the car? To my recollection he said that Swift rear biased the power distribution some, might have even been in that MT video posted in the thread.

Regulators requires car manufactures reset to the most eco mode by default.
No. To the mode used in the test or anything more efficient. Thus, if using sport mode, a car will normally default to comfort if that is the way the car was set up for EPA testing. But if you were driving it in Eco mode, it would be allowable to stay in that mode since it is a more efficient mode.

The government pretty much has to do it this way as otherwise companies could setup a mode for testing that is awful for driving but very efficient and then have a Porsche type sport mode for actual driving.

Regulators requires car manufactures reset to the most eco mode by default.
That’s weird because my Rivian will stay on whatever drive mode I had it on last. I wish it was this way with Lucid.

Not true since the Ioniq 5 stays on the previous drive mode too
That actually is true, you can read the regulations yourself. That is what the controversy over that loud exhaust elantra n driver a while ago stems from. What those manufacturers are doing is not legal, yet slips through because the testing is more lenient than you'd think(a model s was left opened and losing battery over the night, for example). Nobody really cares, in summary yet it is not legal.

That’s weird because my Rivian will stay on whatever drive mode I had it on last. I wish it was this way with Lucid.
Not true since the Ioniq 5 stays on the previous drive mode too
Both will lead to eventual fines and they will have to change it, at least by the letter of the law.

There is no efficiency difference between swift and smooth as both have access to the same HP, but swift biases the car a bit more towards rear-wheel drive and I believe tightens the suspension a little so I prefer swift to smooth. Smooth was made much better by an OTA a few months back though, it actually corrected some understeer issues with it so sometimes I’ll leave it in smooth more than I used to.
So many questions that could be answered by a real time energy use display option.

This has to be one of my biggest gripes with the software. I seriously disagree with any inclination that this shouldn’t be a saved user preference.

It’s just as annoying as Taycans resetting regen breaking each and every drive IMO.

This has to be one of my biggest gripes with the software. I seriously disagree with any inclination that this shouldn’t be a saved user preference.

It’s just as annoying as Taycans resetting regen breaking each and every drive IMO.
I think Lucid allowing more customization of settings in general would lead to much higher customer satisfaction. Everyone is familiar with iOS or Android. Why is there so little customization? That is what a touch screen is for. We have an iPad sized touch screen and almost no ability to set "favorites". My BMW with 5 physical buttons I can set to do anything from a radio station to call home has more customization possibilities. If I had 8 custom buttons on the pilot panel, most of my frustration with the UI would go away.

Back