Vehicle to Home

scal_air

Referral code - ZQOO2D7O
Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Referral Code
ZQOO2D7O
Any new news on vehicle to home (V2H) charging for Lucids? I really am ready to take advantage of this feature. When I purchased the car, they made it sound like it was just around the corner but see the android auto thread!🤣

Any new news on vehicle to home (V2H) charging for Lucids? I really am ready to take advantage of this feature. When I purchased the car, they made it sound like it was just around the corner but see the android auto thread!🤣
They just announced V2V. I’m sure that other announcements are forthcoming. The problem with vehicle to home is state and local regulations. It’s not a simple matter of just plugging your car into your house. Hardware would need to be installed professionally. Also, in a blackout, feeding the grid could be dangerous to people working on the lines, so the hardware installed in your home would need to isolate the home from the grid during such usage. There’s a lot more to it than meets the eye. That said, I am eagerly awaiting this functionality as well.

They just announced V2V. I’m sure that other announcements are forthcoming. The problem with vehicle to home is state and local regulations. It’s not a simple matter of just plugging your car into your house. Hardware would need to be installed professionally. Also, in a blackout, feeding the grid could be dangerous to people working on the lines, so the hardware installed in your home would need to isolate the home from the grid during such usage. There’s a lot more to it than meets the eye. That said, I am eagerly awaiting this functionality as well.

Point taken with local regulations but the hardware appears to be available(edit: soon to be available). Eagerly awaiting too...😄

To

Just look at what SCE is doing with solar to figure out why V2H is taking so long.

1699732108462.jpeg

I'm assuming the V2H from the Lucid to the home in a blackout would be similar to what happens with a Generac gas generator?? I believe the generator automatically kicks in and the home is disconnected from the Grid, right? So what is the big deal for V2H???

I'm assuming the V2H from the Lucid to the home in a blackout would be similar to what happens with a Generac gas generator?? I believe the generator automatically kicks in and the home is disconnected from the Grid, right? So what is the big deal for V2H???
I agree with you about V2H that is just like a conventional diesel generator main disconnect with no issues with the utility companies.

V2G is a different story. In order to export to the grid, it's a complicated bureaucracy.

Since Lucid is bidirectional capable, there's no reason that it took this long to do a V2V. Same with V2L as Kia/Hyundai has done.

I think it's just a matter of priority.

I really don't much care about V2G. I have solar panels and haven't paid an electric bill in over six years. I just want to be able to power my home during outages. PG&E has said they will continue to shut down power anytime the wind is blowing hard to prevent power lines coming down and starting fires. I just want power when I need it!!!

The above is very misleading. This topic has been discussed in more technical manner in

V2G is highly regulated. Vehicle supplying 240V or 120V for owner to use as they see fit is different.

V2L (vehicle to load) should be possible now. It's basically the same as V2V but with an outlet at the other end of the plug.

This isn't as nice as V2H, but it would allow you to power several appliances during a power outage, or power small appliances on the road.

Our Ioniq has a V2L plug that allows us to power a toaster and hot water kettle when we go skiing. It's a nice feature.

https://www.amazon.com/Lectron-Adap...04010ad0&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

V2L (vehicle to load) should be possible now. It's basically the same as V2V but with an outlet at the other end of the plug.

This isn't as nice as V2H, but it would allow you to power several appliances during a power outage, or power small appliances on the road.

Our Ioniq has a V2L plug that allows us to power a toaster and hot water kettle when we go skiing. It's a nice feature.

https://www.amazon.com/Lectron-Adapter-Compatible-Hyundai-Ioniq/dp/B0BKL3DL5L/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=3OSS5RD12572S&keywords=hyundai+ioniq+5+power+outlet&qid=1699757437&sprefix=hyundai+ioniq+5+power+outle,aps,149&sr=8-2-spons&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1
Yeah; I suspect that V2L will work once V2V software is in place, if not immediately then soon after. I hope, anyway!

This is by far the most useful update that I am waiting for. Especially now that we experience 2-4 outages a year, some lasting for 3 days. It’s tough here in the third world country of Northern California/PG&E!!

Yeah, I completely understand the utility wanting to limit liability due to fires caused by downed power lines since recent judgements have found them at fault. But really what are people suppose to do? We could argue what constitutes "acts of god" but for now, when the winds blow hard, blackouts are inevitable and we are left to solve the problem on our own. Luckily, we have a great solution within our grasp. Your move Lucid!

Lucid vehicles have a minimum of 92 kWh of storage capacity. A Tesla powerwall 3 has a capacity of 13.5kWh. So the Lucid is the equivalent of over 6 powerwalls which would cost $55K. Someone help me here because this is a no brainer and would be a great selling point - show me my error!

Yeah, I completely understand the utility wanting to limit liability due to fires caused by downed power lines since recent judgements have found them at fault. But really what are people suppose to do? We could argue what constitutes "acts of god" but for now, when the winds blow hard, blackouts are inevitable and we are left to solve the problem on our own. Luckily, we have a great solution within our grasp. Your move Lucid!
The utilities need to support and facilitate V2H and V2G (bidirectional charging) that would help deal with Public Safety Power Shutoffs.

The utilities need to support and facilitate V2H and V2G (bidirectional charging) that would help deal with Public Safety Power Shutoff
Yep. The problem is not with the manufacturers. It's with each local utility.

Lucid vehicles have a minimum of 92 kWh of storage capacity. A Tesla powerwall 3 has a capacity of 13.5kWh. So the Lucid is the equivalent of over 6 powerwalls which would cost $55K. Someone help me here because this is a no brainer and would be a great selling point - show me my error!
You’re correct. But, this is harder than it sounds. It will come. Patience

I would think even with this V2H capability, one would almost have to anticipate a power outage so as to have a relatively fully charged battery on hand. Of course you could simply drive over to your local EA charger, but that’s assuming they’re still online.

I would think even with this V2H capability, one would almost have to anticipate a power outage so as to have a relatively fully charged battery on hand. Of course you could simply drive over to your local EA charger, but that’s assuming they’re still online.
As was pointed out above our cars have the equivalent of at least 6 Power Walls. My Lucid could theoretically power my entire home for a week or more!! So even if I'm at 50% SOC I can cover my needs for a couple of days without draining the car. As stated above this is a huge selling point for Lucid and for those who want this capability it makes the price of the car much more attractive!! FYI PG&E is running a pilot test program just for this purpose.

Agreed but even with a partially charged battery, you can get hours/days of emergency power. And for people that top off daily....👌

Back