Vehicle to Home

Looking at NEM 3.0, it seems apparent to me that there is an adversarial stance toward solar owners. If state/local utilities could cooperate with EV manufacturers and solar producers with V2G, it would be an advantage to them. Think of all the capacity they could tap when the grid supply is low. Think of the reduced grid infrastructure that the utility would otherwise have to build. I'm sure there are problems but they are more manageable if you are actually trying...😅

Well with this new feature and cord, the advertisement says that we will get an update to allow for V2V later this month. Hopefully there is more to the update.

And last I checked 92kwh would only power my house for two days. But that is two days more than I have today. So awesome

Also really looking forward to V2H capability. ERCOT in Texas just announced that they'd resort to rolling blackouts again if we get another deep freeze, and last time it happened we were out of power for 5 days in sub-freezing weather (and it's not like TX homes are really built for the cold). The marketed V2H capability was a big reason we got a Lucid in the first place.

I don't really buy the "it's all the local regulations" excuse for why it's taking so long. The F150 Lightning has had V2H capability from launch (or at least for some time now), and the Nissan Leaf says it supports it as well, so I don't see why there would be any sort of different regulatory process. From my reading of some articles about the Leaf, it's not like they had to get approval from each individual utility, instead they just got UL certification for the charging system. Note, though, depending on the electrical work needed at your house, it may not come cheap: https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/...yearlong-review-update-1-sunrun-backup-power/

Seems to me a more likely reason is just that Lucid has a million other higher priority things on their plate right now (like not going bankrupt) so while I would love this functionality I don't begrudge Lucid for focusing on what they need to. With the good news of the RangeXchange announcement, hopefully V2H won't be far behind.

Also really looking forward to V2H capability. ERCOT in Texas just announced that they'd resort to rolling blackouts again if we get another deep freeze, and last time it happened we were out of power for 5 days in sub-freezing weather (and it's not like TX homes are really built for the cold). The marketed V2H capability was a big reason we got a Lucid in the first place.

I don't really buy the "it's all the local regulations" excuse for why it's taking so long. The F150 Lightning has had V2H capability from launch (or at least for some time now), and the Nissan Leaf says it supports it as well, so I don't see why there would be any sort of different regulatory process. From my reading of some articles about the Leaf, it's not like they had to get approval from each individual utility, instead they just got UL certification for the charging system. Note, though, depending on the electrical work needed at your house, it may not come cheap: https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/...yearlong-review-update-1-sunrun-backup-power/

Seems to me a more likely reason is just that Lucid has a million other higher priority things on their plate right now (like not going bankrupt) so while I would love this functionality I don't begrudge Lucid for focusing on what they need to. With the good news of the RangeXchange announcement, hopefully V2H won't be far behind.
Yeah this is the weird part to me too. I have a friend with the Lightning who did V2H during a power outage - same zip code, same provider, same everything.

V2H doesn't need anything special regulatory-wise. Homeowner will need to get home wired with bypass like for a generator. V2grid is what needs utility buy in. Lucid needs to release V2H soon.

V2H doesn't need anything special regulatory-wise. Homeowner will need to get home wired with bypass like for a generator. V2grid is what needs utility buy in. Lucid needs to release V2H soon.
Correct. V2grid is not important at all. I do not know one benefit of taking power from your car to provide to the grid.

Looks like the 11/17/23 ship date got pushed back to December sometime. I do hope you get it in time for any issues. For me its a novelty because I already have (insert manufacturer from a different channel) Powerwalls who have already proved themselves in a the-wind-is-blowing SoCal power outage!
IMG_6402.jpg

I'd say this is incorrect if you want to do a proper installation. It's exactly the same as using a battery pack as a backup, which you need your local utility to approve a permit to install. V2H is not just simply running an extension cord into your house from the car. Anytime you are feeding energy into your house, unless you have already disconnected from the grid, that energy can and will flow back into the grid and that's where the issue is and why you need properly installed equipment to run a V2H setup.

Looks like the 11/17/23 ship date got pushed back to December sometime. I do hope you get it in time for any issues. For me its a novelty because I already have (insert manufacturer from a different channel) Powerwalls who have already proved themselves in a the-wind-is-blowing SoCal power outage!
View attachment 16632
Yeah, my Powerwalls have been great. I have zero need for v2h lol

Yeah, my Powerwalls have been great. I have zero need for v2h lol
Back to my original point that V2H could be a huge selling point for Lucid. PowerWalls are very expensive and the Lucid is potentially equal to six or more PowerWalls. I really don't care about V2G but V2H shouldn't be all that difficult and I don't believe PG&E is the holdup. For whatever reason Lucid hasn't yet perfected the necessary additional hardware/software needed to make it work. Hard to believe Ford can do it but Lucid doesn't have the capability???

Back to my original point that V2H could be a huge selling point for Lucid. PowerWalls are very expensive and the Lucid is potentially equal to six or more PowerWalls. I really don't care about V2G but V2H shouldn't be all that difficult and I don't believe PG&E is the holdup. For whatever reason Lucid hasn't yet perfected the necessary additional hardware/software needed to make it work. Hard to believe Ford can do it but Lucid doesn't have the capability???
PG&E can't be the holdup. Because they make the car in many other places that PG&E doesn't serve.

Hard to believe Ford can do it but Lucid doesn't have the capability???
C’mon, not *that* hard to believe. Ford has been around a lot longer, and partnered with SunRun (iirc) to do installs. Lucid may go down that same path, but priority right now is definitely getting Gravity out. No idea what else, but Lucid having fewer things available today than Ford is not a crazy thought.

I'd say this is incorrect if you want to do a proper installation. which you need your local utility to approve a permit to install. V2H is not just simply running an extension cord into your house from the car. Anytime you are feeding energy into your house, unless you have already disconnected from the grid, that energy can and will flow back into the grid and that's where the issue is and why you need properly installed equipment to run a V2H setup.
Sure, 100%. You need to get city/utility approvals to do anything remotely substantial to a home where I live. But the point I and others are making (and which you also point out with the "It's exactly the same as using a battery pack as a backup" sentence) is there is nothing special or unique to what Lucid is proposing with V2H capability that requires any sort of utility-by-utility regulatory approvals, and I've seen that argument quite a bit (i.e. "it's taking so long because of all the regulatory hoops Lucid has to jump through with each utility.") My guess is just that it's just not a real high priority for them given all else that's on their plate.

Sure, 100%. You need to get city/utility approvals to do anything remotely substantial to a home where I live. But the point I and others are making (and which you also point out with the "It's exactly the same as using a battery pack as a backup" sentence) is there is nothing special or unique to what Lucid is proposing with V2H capability that requires any sort of utility-by-utility regulatory approvals, and I've seen that argument quite a bit (i.e. "it's taking so long because of all the regulatory hoops Lucid has to jump through with each utility.") My guess is just that it's just not a real high priority for them given all else that's on their plate.
True, V2H is just one or two more steps from V2V which they just introduced. I'd fully expect a V2L adapter in the next few months and subsequently V2H. People need to understand, as well, that additional hardware will be needed for V2H also.

C’mon, not *that* hard to believe. Ford has been around a lot longer, and partnered with SunRun (iirc) to do installs. Lucid may go down that same path, but priority right now is definitely getting Gravity out. No idea what else, but Lucid having fewer things available today than Ford is not a crazy thought.
So I guess the question is which route (V2H or Gravity) will bring increased sales sooner? Gravity sales won't be a real factor until 2025 whereas V2H could bring in sales now!! How much did you pay for your PowerWalls? Think of that as a discount on a Lucid.

So I guess the question is which route (V2H or Gravity) will bring increased sales sooner? Gravity sales won't be a real factor until 2025 whereas V2H could bring in sales now!! How much did you pay for your PowerWalls? Think of that as a discount on a Lucid.
Gravity, without question. V2H hasn’t sold like hotcakes for Ford or anyone else, largely because people either already have Powerwalls, or don’t care. If they do care, they still need additional hardware for V2H which is why they’d care (if they were replacing Powerwalls), and that would cost more money and be out of Lucid’s control, unless they developed that hardware.

The gravity will, without question, move the company’s long term goals further, imho.

Gravity, without question. V2H hasn’t sold like hotcakes for Ford or anyone else, largely because people either already have Powerwalls, or don’t care. If they do care, they still need additional hardware for V2H which is why they’d care (if they were replacing Powerwalls), and that would cost more money and be out of Lucid’s control, unless they developed that hardware.

The gravity will, without question, move the company’s long term goals further, imho.
Well I guess we'll have to wait until 2025 to see if you are correct. In the meantime there must be some people at Lucid who can spare some time to bring us V2H which was touted quite a bit in the early days as a key feature.

I'd say this is incorrect if you want to do a proper installation. It's exactly the same as using a battery pack as a backup, which you need your local utility to approve a permit to install. V2H is not just simply running an extension cord into your house from the car. Anytime you are feeding energy into your house, unless you have already disconnected from the grid, that energy can and will flow back into the grid and that's where the issue is and why you need properly installed equipment to run a V2H setup.
Which is exactly what a generator hook up is. You need to disconnect from the grid to supply your entire home (or disconnect part of it) and use s generator. Not sure what's incorrect about that. Of course you need permits to do that, but that process is already in place and is not different whether you use a whole home generator or a Powerwall or a V2H source.

Lucid needs to partnered with an equipment manufacturer like Enphase to get the required equipment for V2G V2H. Otherwise it will be a long time before Lucid develops and manufactures the required equipment.

Lucid needs to partnered with an equipment manufacturer like Enphase to get the required equipment for V2G V2H. Otherwise it will be a long time before Lucid develops and manufactures the required equipment.
The lucid wall charger supposedly has V2H capability that they can turn on once ready for primetime.

Back