Vehicle to Home

Well, what is clear is that V2V is a step to V2H. Now that the Lucid Air can be used to charge another car, I imagine the software modification to be able to charge a home should be simple.

You will need a smart panel, power inverter and a transfer switch. For Ford you need an additional $4k plus labor. If you do not have a smart panel, then that may be another $5k.

The Lucid should be pretty much ready and just needs some software updates to properly communicate with power inverter.

For all experts on this thread, please take a look at how the Lucid Connected Home Charger is wired. There are two hot brancjes making 240V without a neutral. There are issues with how to handle the 120V one side to neutral that are not covered in code. Yes it looks similar to the run from the street to your home. There is no national standard for how this is done from a vehicle. Ford implemented the inverter for V2H/V2G in the EVSE rather than in the car as Lucid did so the equipment looks like a solar inverter or generator. For these reasons, I think that we will see V2L long before we see V2H.

In the meantime there must be some people at Lucid who can spare some time to bring us V2H
Oh, okay. You must be right, since they’ve clearly got tons of spare cycles.

Maybe they’ll spend some of those spare cycles on AA or sentry mode too. :)

I have three Powerwalls that have worked well for short power outages. We absolutely had to get utility authorization for the solar array/Powerwall installation, and it took a while IIRC.

But perhaps rather than get another utility authorization to feed current from the Lucid into the main junction box, we could just get the Lucid to charge the Powerwalls. That would give us another couple of days of power in the event of a long-term outage. And what are the chances of an outage lasting more than 4 days? Almost zero, amirite?

VW has implemented V2H in Germany. It will issue a software update for V2G later.

It's brand-dependent now, but later on, other brands like the Wallbox Quasar could also be used.

VW has implemented V2H in Germany. It will issue a software update for V2G later.

It's brand-dependent now, but later on, other brands like the Wallbox Quasar could also be used.

Okay the list offering V2H and perhaps V2G continues to grow. Hopefully Lucid will join the party soon??

Ford just started a pilot program with PG&E. Opened to 1000 including incentives for participation.
That program has been up and running for a few months. Not just limited to Ford but right now they are the only company with a vehicle capable of V2H.

I really don’t need the V2H capabilities now. We just upgraded to more solar and 3 Tesla Powerwalls. Between the solar, powerwalls and the Range Xchange on the Lucid, we now have everything we need.

I really don’t need the V2H capabilities now. We just upgraded to more solar and 3 Tesla Powerwalls. Between the solar, powerwalls and the Range Xchange on the Lucid, we now have everything we need.
We have a similar setup here in Massachusetts: 18kw solar array, 3 Powerwalls. But I find that I'm SOL if we lose power in the winter for more than 36 hours. You guys in San Diego are probably fine indefinitely!
A solar array doesn't make economic sense up here in the Northeast without the heavy subsidies that we get.

V2L (vehicle to load) should be possible now. It's basically the same as V2V but with an outlet at the other end of the plug.

This isn't as nice as V2H, but it would allow you to power several appliances during a power outage, or power small appliances on the road.

Our Ioniq has a V2L plug that allows us to power a toaster and hot water kettle when we go skiing. It's a nice feature.

https://www.amazon.com/Lectron-Adapter-Compatible-Hyundai-Ioniq/dp/B0BKL3DL5L/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=3OSS5RD12572S&keywords=hyundai+ioniq+5+power+outlet&qid=1699757437&sprefix=hyundai+ioniq+5+power+outle,aps,149&sr=8-2-spons&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1
Our ioniq 5 limited came with a V2L adapter. Does the lectron adapter work with all the models of ioniq 5? I think that it would be possible for lucid to test and approve this adapter.

Got my #RangeXChange #V2V cord in the mail. Here's the unboxing video tho, viewer warning, as I said on my Twitter/X post:
"Warning: I am not an influencer! I’m just a guy sharing a #LucidOwnersClub journey! Accordingly, this is a clunky, unboxing video 📦🎥 , not meant for prime time! I’d recommend 2X speed up 🐇!"

Got my #RangeXChange #V2V cord in the mail. Here's the unboxing video tho, viewer warning, as I said on my Twitter/X post:
"Warning: I am not an influencer! I’m just a guy sharing a #LucidOwnersClub journey! Accordingly, this is a clunky, unboxing video 📦🎥 , not meant for prime time! I’d recommend 2X speed up 🐇!"
You're missing all the ASMR extras that people go through...

We have a similar setup here in Massachusetts: 18kw solar array, 3 Powerwalls. But I find that I'm SOL if we lose power in the winter for more than 36 hours. You guys in San Diego are probably fine indefinitely!
A solar array doesn't make economic sense up here in the Northeast without the heavy subsidies that we get.
Not to beat a dead horse, but if we had V2H, you could extend your power to the equivalent to another 6 powerwalls with a fully charged Lucid. That's 108 hours!!!

Below is from QMerit:
"For example, Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) recently launched a V2G pilot program to encourage V2G transmission (although they call it V2X or Vehicle to Everything). PG&E is offering up to $3,000 to individuals to enroll, plus performance incentives and up to $5,000 plus incentives for commercial users."

And From the same article:
"Also, Duke Energy Florida is testing three Ford F-150 Lightnings for V2G. This is a pilot program to test the viability of using Lightning’s bidirectional charging technology to draw and supply power back to the grid and, in a broader sense, to test the viability of V2G in general."

For all experts on this thread, please take a look at how the Lucid Connected Home Charger is wired. There are two hot brancjes making 240V without a neutral. There are issues with how to handle the 120V one side to neutral that are not covered in code. Yes it looks similar to the run from the street to your home....
USA residential utility power is supplied by two opposing 120V branches ("split phase" with 240V between incoming lines) and a neutral line from the street transformer. National and local code specifies how the neutral line must be connected to an earth ground at each house. Lucid's home charging system connects to the home's two 120V phases (240V across them), but not to the neutral line, leading to a mystery of how neutral will be sourced during V2H.

Homes in much of the rest of the world are generally 220-240 volt single-phase, supplied by just a single hot wire and neutral, so Lucid's home charging system would work well for V2H there with little additional equipment.

That $3000 could provide some cost offset to any required additional hardware needed to supplement my LCHCS.

Back