Power company EV pricing plan for at-home charging

CMD

I see a lot of charging questions from new owners, like me - first EV, Air GT for less than a month. But nothing about evaluating home charging EV rate plans offered by the local power company.

I will charge almost exclusively from home. My power company offers a plan for EV owners. It sounded good until I did the math: based on my low charging need and power company pricing, the amount I save from charging my AGT between 11pm and 6am is offset by the increased amount charged for the other 17 hours of the day The company’s default plan that I and most people are on, is actually better for me. Would encourage other relatively low mileage drivers to consider the overall impact of their power company’s EV pricing programs when evaluating their home EV charging cost, and not just assume they’re saving money by switching.

My utility has a TOU plan for the outlet associated with the wi-fi enabled EV controller. The controller measures energy delivered and accounts for that separately from tbe main meter. It is a great approach. 12am-8am is $.073/kWh. Whole house rate is $.173. Peak rate for the EV outlet is $.23.

My utility has a TOU plan for the outlet associated with the wi-fi enabled EV controller. The controller measures energy delivered and accounts for that separately from tbe main meter. It is a great approach. 12am-8am is $.073/kWh. Whole house rate is $.173. Peak rate for the EV outlet is $.23.
wish this was an option in NYC. We actually installed a second meter for our EVs and run TOU on it. Our regular electricity rate is $0.31395 per kWh (supply and delivery). With TOU on our EV meter its $0.12278 per kWh, but we also get charged a separate $21.00 fee a month for the second meter. At this rate it will take about 20yrs for the installation and savings to balance out the cost of gas for the amount we drive 🤔

Back