Load Management for Lucid Home Charging Station

raj

Cars
Touring
Are there any load management systems that can throttle the charging speed of the Lucid Home Charging Station based on available capacity?

I have read about other brands that sell devices that work specifically with their own EVSE (such as Wallbox Pulsar Plus with power sensor accessory, for the Emporia Vue power meter which pairs with their charger), but I haven't found any third party solutions.

Last resort would be a power-cut load management system such as the DCC EV Energy Management System, but I would prefer to avoid that

thanks

Not sure what you are asking, or why.
If your circuit can't handle 80 amps charging you can reset the DIP switches inside the LUCID charger to reduce the load.
There are several setting to accomidate lower power circuits.

I am aware of the dip switches, but that would permanently limit the max current (the rating would even be listed with the town, so it couldn't be changed without pulling another permit). However, even though the NEC load calculations indicate my panel is nearly maxed out, in reality high loads only occur for relatively few hours in the year. A load management system would allow the car to draw 80 amps most of the time, but reduce the available amps if the panel approaches max load.

I think I should just buy a Wallbox Pulsar Plus with power sensor, since it is specifically designed for this scenario and seems to be the recommended solution. I was hoping to find something compatible with the Lucid charger because I already bought it and it is too late to return.

Before anyone suggests an upgrade to my electrical service, I have spent months exploring options. The electrics were all replaced during a gut renovation less than 10 years ago, and met code at that time, but the location of the panel does not meet current code. I can't make changes without moving the panel, which would be very disruptive in our house. I even considered a second service just for EV charging, because my local utility offers a Time of Use plan specifically for EVs that makes the MWh cost negligible at night, but meeting code was very challenging for our house, and the only place it could be installed was going to cost over $10k and result in placing the charger in an inconvenient location.

TLDR: strict code, old house, small lot and maxed out panel results in complicated installation, and I now know way more about my power supply than I ever had any desire to learn.

I use a Wallbox with Power Boost for this purpose as my secondary charger. There isn’t anything similar for the Lucid EVSE, which is my primary EVSE.

Back