Vancouver: charging on road trip

kurious

Supporting Member
Cars
2023 Pure AWD
Referral Code
19QISE83
I regularly drive from Seattle to Whistler, BC to ski, ~240 miles, in the winter, with ~2,000 feet of elevation gain (at the end, of course.)
For anyone doing anything like this in an EV for the first time, here's my experience in the last 36 hours.
  • Interstate traffic moved 60-85mph. I'd have preferred the low end of that for range but not great for etiquette, safety nor fun.
  • I planned OK using PlugShare (thank you forum!), wisely to top up charge at an earlier point in the Vancouver (halfway) metro area, with contingencies further along the route.
  • First place I hit (Petro-Canada) confirmed the warning on PlugShare: two big fancy chargers SEEMED operational (fans and big relay "thunk!" inside) but an adjacent Ford EV owner and I each hit the same failure mode, gave up.
  • Plan B place few blocks away (On The Run), two of three chargers in use, I plugged in but failed to get the app to unblock the charging, AND the charger warned it was delivering less than full power. So moved on...
  • Plan C, PlugShare said ChargePoint which we think was inside a private condo building's underground secure garage.
  • Plan D (another On The Run), an Audi owner at 5% charge (!) struggled to get the app to unblock charging at the ONE working charger. After ~25 minutes she got it going -- at 15 kW!! From 5% aiming for 60%. Moved on.
  • Plan E - BC Hydro charger in Horseshoe Bay, I'm at 28% remaining. The charger and the phone app (only way to unlock without a special RFID card) are not cooperating. I phoned BC Hyrdo support (at 8pm on a Sunday -- they answered, unblocked it. Amazing.) This was my last resort, motel across the street looking likely but instead I got a great dinner and charged up to 76% (for $12!! 👍) for the remaining ~60 mi / 2,000' elevation gain to Whistler in near freezing temps.
So few key takeaways:
  1. Install most of the relevant networks' apps before you go. Journie (for on the run), BC Hydro EV, Electrify Canada (who have yet to serve the metro area?!)...
  2. Find a way to pay with NFC ("contactless"). Several chargers ONLY took contactless. I refuse Apple Pay because it requires iCloud, my buddy has that and NFC credit card, some chargers will ONLY let you pay this way, or the app.
  3. Plan multiple charging options if your can.
  4. Don't count on four 150 kW chargers all delivering 150 kW. They're collectively limited to no minimum rate.
  5. Don't count on a late-in-the-day top up. Allow extra time for snafus, other EV's waiting too, etc.
  6. Tee up contingencies.
I'll get more adept at all this but coming from gasoline it does require insights or waiting for it all to catch up to the ubiquity and reliability of gas. But this still feels like the right way to go, part of demand making it all better for the next waves.

Was thinking of this same exact drive using our R1S over Christmas! Thanks for the info

I live in Vancouver and can add some additional insight.

Chevron (on the run) maxes out at 48kw (5km/min) as it is a 400v charger. It is very finicky/unreliable (but it is free for now). 80% of the time I charge there I get 15kw speed

Petro Canada on Burrard - non functioning x 2m but when I have used it, I have got 63-160kw speed

Other chargers - not worth trying as too slow unless absolutely needed

Best bet is to have sufficient charge until you can get to Squamish where there is an electrify Canada 350/150kw chargers that usually work

In Whistler, hopefully the place you are staying at has charging as nothing really reliable publically unless one like waiting

Sounds like a complete mess. Sure wish all these CCS charger were as reliable as Tesla Supercharging. Just not fun having to travel and possibly deal with that, especially if other passengers in the car.

Back