trim issues

Maddraven

Cars
2022 LUCID AGT
Took delivery of my Grand Touring on Wednesday (9/28/22) in Utah. DA met me at a nearby Walmart where car was apparently unloaded from carrier.

(1) Car was filthy. Every other car I have ever purchased (new or used) was spotless at the moment of delivery. According to the DA, the enclosed car carrier used to transport it was ”dusty.” The advisor said something about Lucid being willing to reimburse me for a detail as I did not receive a clean car.

(2) Trim issue #1 — In the walk around, we quickly noticed the upper part of the trunk lining was hanging about an inch below the upper lip of the trunk. In addition, did not seem to be seated properly — where the middle section joined the section of liner from the passenger side, there was a strip of sticky liner — it appears as if that middle section of liner was inserted about 3 inches to the left of where the glue for it was — leaving the glue residue open to the touch. Clearly screwed up. DA said he had never seen before and promised they would fix.

(3) Trim issue #2 — I noticed on the drive home that the felt pieces that cover the interior A pillars were loose. With Duct tape I was able to secure them so that they do not fall off when going over bumps.

(4) trim issue #3 — Upon getting out of the car at home I noticed the exterior trim at the base of the driver-side backseat window was not attached to the on one side. If the window is opened and then closed, the movement of the window pulls this trim up away from the car door. I was able to secure with additional Duct tape.

(5) Soundsystem — I thought it sounded a little quiet (and tinny) when the DA showed me how to use. After spending a few hours with it, I realize there are only two speakers in the car making any noise at all. In addition, if I move any of base, mid, treble from one extreme to another, there is no audible difference. I think this might be due to the fact that the speakers providing base and treble are not connected. At this point, the system only slightly louder than (but tonally not as good as!?!) the built-in speaker on my iphone. So, in the brief time I was able to drive the car, I had to use my iPhone speaker function rather than the car‘s speakers.

Some good news — Lucid is going to send someone out to take a look at these issues on October 13th (15 days after purchase). The car will be charging in my garage until then and at the <1 mile per hour of range that the 120V offers, it ought to be fully charged by then.

In the grand scheme of things these are quite small issues, I know, but at these prices I was expecting more. Let me put it this way: (1) Never before have a bought a car this expensive, and (2) Never before have I had to use duct tape to hold parts of a car in the proper place. Frankly, these issues have shaken my faith in the build quality to the point that I am now doubting whether to compound my error by installing a dedicated charger in the garage. At this point, I’m strongly considering cutting my losses and selling. Of course, I cannot do that until I get it sorted. Hopefully, it will be fully sorted after one service visit.

What a painful (and expensive) lesson.

Reactions: Bel
A few photos might be helpful for us trying to understand.

Welcome to the club. And sorry to see your 1st post in this forum as not your best experience.

True, for the price paid, the car should have been detailed, etc ... Which begs the question: Did Lucid pressure you to pick the car up @ the Walmart parking lot? Or did you opt to do it, since it would have been closer? Or easier to get to? Or sooner than later?

You could have declined possession & told them to get it spit ready & home deliver.

Its your call if you want to keep it or not. But with the first post like this, you are not going to be too pleased with software either. That is a huge miss.

G'luck.

I'm sorry to hear your delivery and first impressions were less than perfect, but it's exciting to see a fellow Utahn taking delivery! I hope Lucid cleans and fixes things up for you quickly. Best of luck to you.

@magesh,

1. Decline possession !?! . . . because it was not washed and the relatively minor trunk trim issue (which were all I was aware of in the 45 minutes we spent in the Walmart parking lot) — not a chance! I was far too excited to get the car . . . and the trunk trim issue seemed like a small deal. (Lack of a wash is temporary as I usually hand wash my cars in Utah at least once a week and did so with this one as soon as I got home). Only after spotting the other issues was my faith shaken. Yes, obviously in hindsight I should have considered declining possession but honestly it never crossed my mind. This was the biggest (in terms of dollars) car purchase I have ever made and I was naively expecting it to be the best. Not sure why I was expecting such a good outcome . . . other than the cost and the fact that they were literally flying a guy into Utah to hand the car over to me. My hopes were high . . . lesson learned.

2. Choice to take delivery at Walmart — My neighborhood is built into a hill and the Lucid team I was dealing with claimed they needed a large flat area for delivery so I suggested the nearby Walmart where I have met several enclose car carriers for other deliveries/pickups in last few years. Car carrier drivers seem to like that particular lot because it is open, flat, and easily accessed from the highway.

3. Sound system — I should have noted that problem there but I was too excited to get on the road to bother with the sound system when taking possession. I wanted to experience the car. Again, lesson learned the hard way. Also, to be honest, I thought it didn’t sound great at the walkthrough but I was in such a rush I thought it was a me-not-understanding-the-interface issue, not an issue with the car. On the day after I took delivery, I took some friends for a ride and they (to a person) remarked that it was the crappiest and quietest sound system they have ever heard. These comments got me focused on it. We spent an hour fiddling with it and in the process realized that some of the speakers make no sound and that there appears to not be a subwoofer.

I want/wanted a fully sorted car . . . Not sure I will be able to achieve it with Lucid. In particular, this seems an unrealistic desire when every little thing will take 2-3 weeks to schedule and the only people to work on have to literally be flown into the state in order to do so. Does not seem a scalable business model for them.

@Coho,

Pictures attached

Attachments

• 12A1EED7-EEBF-4D0E-B0C5-60641586CBAF.jpeg
    12A1EED7-EEBF-4D0E-B0C5-60641586CBAF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 266
  • 47DE19CB-80CC-47D4-B9D2-77D33B25AD52.jpeg
    47DE19CB-80CC-47D4-B9D2-77D33B25AD52.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 267
  • 64DEAA1A-CAEB-497A-ADD6-95C164AD722C.jpeg
    64DEAA1A-CAEB-497A-ADD6-95C164AD722C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 254
  • 3E060F12-373A-4717-A41F-CACFC47B1431.jpeg
    3E060F12-373A-4717-A41F-CACFC47B1431.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 255
  • 2C687734-92DC-453A-9655-E1D63AF13C43.jpeg
    2C687734-92DC-453A-9655-E1D63AF13C43.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 292
@Coho,

Pictures attached
Sorry to see that. Its unbelievable that they first dont see this when building the car and than that its not discovered at factory checkout and finally not discovered at the service center.

It sounds as the the car carrier might have gone through a rough dessert sand storm before reaching you, who knows the vibration gets all trim loose, but that is never an excuse. I hope they can speedily remedy your situation. In my personal experience, the post-delivery communication and service is stellar compare to pre-delivery experience.

It sounds as the the car carrier might have gone through a rough dessert sand storm before reaching you, who knows the vibration gets all trim loose, but that is never an excuse. I hope they can speedily remedy your situation. In my personal experience, the post-delivery communication and service is stellar compare to pre-delivery experience.
I hope your last statement remains true for Utah owners. Our nearest service center is in Scottsdale, so I'm personally a bit worried about how this will affect the overall delivery experience and service post-delivery.

@Core,

My “home” delivery in Park City UT area was arranged by a Lucid team from Denver. The guy flown in to deliver the car came from Scottsdale. Since then, the Denver team has handed me off to a Seattle team (further from my house than Denver or Scottsdale). My understanding is that the Seattle Lucid people will be my point of contact going forward. (Of course, my long-term goal is to not have to be in daily contact with Lucid people.)

I was told that there have been only “a handful” of Utah deliveries to date and that once there becomes a critical mass of Utah cars, there will be full time Utah-based support. Of course, earlier today one of my friends spotted the exact same car in Park City (sans the duct-taped over trip issues) — Quantum gray over Mojave. Judging by the expiration date on the temporary AZ tags (which expire two days earlier than mine), that owner might have picked up earlier in this week.

@magesh,

1. Decline possession !?! . . . because it was not washed and the relatively minor trunk trim issue (which were all I was aware of in the 45 minutes we spent in the Walmart parking lot) — not a chance! I was far too excited to get the car . . . and the trunk trim issue seemed like a small deal. (Lack of a wash is temporary as I usually hand wash my cars in Utah at least once a week and did so with this one as soon as I got home). Only after spotting the other issues was my faith shaken. Yes, obviously in hindsight I should have considered declining possession but honestly it never crossed my mind. This was the biggest (in terms of dollars) car purchase I have ever made and I was naively expecting it to be the best. Not sure why I was expecting such a good outcome . . . other than the cost and the fact that they were literally flying a guy into Utah to hand the car over to me. My hopes were high . . . lesson learned.

2. Choice to take delivery at Walmart — My neighborhood is built into a hill and the Lucid team I was dealing with claimed they needed a large flat area for delivery so I suggested the nearby Walmart where I have met several enclose car carriers for other deliveries/pickups in last few years. Car carrier drivers seem to like that particular lot because it is open, flat, and easily accessed from the highway.

3. Sound system — I should have noted that problem there but I was too excited to get on the road to bother with the sound system when taking possession. I wanted to experience the car. Again, lesson learned the hard way. Also, to be honest, I thought it didn’t sound great at the walkthrough but I was in such a rush I thought it was a me-not-understanding-the-interface issue, not an issue with the car. On the day after I took delivery, I took some friends for a ride and they (to a person) remarked that it was the crappiest and quietest sound system they have ever heard. These comments got me focused on it. We spent an hour fiddling with it and in the process realized that some of the speakers make no sound and that there appears to not be a subwoofer.

I want/wanted a fully sorted car . . . Not sure I will be able to achieve it with Lucid. In particular, this seems an unrealistic desire when every little thing will take 2-3 weeks to schedule and the only people to work on have to literally be flown into the state in order to do so. Does not seem a scalable business model for them.
Yes. If you are not happy with the car. delivery experience, etc ... you can decline the car. Simple.

And from the little I know about your delivery experience; I think you were rushed thru' delivery and that is no-bueno. Usually it takes a minimum of 45 minutes to 90 minutes from start to finish going over the car, gaps, checking every window, shade, setting up fobs - you & spouse, etc , tidal+spotify setup, etc ...

BTW there is no subwoofer in this car. I'm not an audiophile by any measure, but this sound system beats my Tesla. And possibly the Q8 as well. MB was good but not that superior to this. Again my opinion. Therefore if you are not hearing your speakers, Lucid needs to fix it pronto.

I gather you are not super stoked about the car & Lucid will need to do better. I understand 15 days is ways out ... meanwhile, as you said, get the car cleaned & drive it around. UI takes some time. (But then again set your expectations low. It is not the greatest. Worse than the Q8 imo). .

Hopefully by end of Oct, once service has done their due diligence, got the stuff repaired, etc ... you will enjoy the car. Rooting for you.

BTW there is no subwoofer in this car. I'm not an audiophile by any measure, but this sound system beats my Tesla. And possibly the Q8 as well. MB was good but not that superior to this. Again my opinion. Therefore if you are not hearing your speakers, Lucid needs to fix it pronto.

There are, at minimum, three subwoofers in the car. One is in the back and underneath a speaker grille behind the sunshade, two are built into the footwells on the driver and passenger side. There may be more but those are at least the three I’m aware of. (I’m an audiophile)

I learn something new every day/night. I know about the 21 speakers across the entire car.

Thx
Subs are part of that. There are three main types of speakers in the car: subwoofers, standard surround tweeters (mid-high frequency speakers), and ceiling/high tweeters that shoot sound downwards.

Subs are part of that. There are three main types of speakers in the car: subwoofers, standard surround tweeters (mid-high frequency speakers), and ceiling/high tweeters that shoot sound downwards.
OK. When I think subs, I think of the big boxy ones dedicated for bass alone.

Really sad you had that experience… should have been perfect. Our experience with delivery out of the Seattle office to our home in Oregon was incredible and the car arrived clean and our associate polished just off our driveway. He told us that some areas were not as “focused on the delivery” as the Seattle office.

@Core,

My “home” delivery in Park City UT area was arranged by a Lucid team from Denver. The guy flown in to deliver the car came from Scottsdale. Since then, the Denver team has handed me off to a Seattle team (further from my house than Denver or Scottsdale). My understanding is that the Seattle Lucid people will be my point of contact going forward. (Of course, my long-term goal is to not have to be in daily contact with Lucid people.)

I was told that there have been only “a handful” of Utah deliveries to date and that once there becomes a critical mass of Utah cars, there will be full time Utah-based support. Of course, earlier today one of my friends spotted the exact same car in Park City (sans the duct-taped over trip issues) — Quantum gray over Mojave. Judging by the expiration date on the temporary AZ tags (which expire two days earlier than mine), that owner might have picked up earlier in this week.
My car was delivered dirty in April, they acknowledged it before I could even open my mouth and put it in the due bill for things to cover. That loose rear window trim thing is a known problem, it was on the car in the Chicago Auto Detailing video (I had no loose trim on mine). That’s discouraging to see this is still happening. I’ve always cut Lucid slack with little trim issues but when a problem is identified and then months later cars are still being shipped with the same problem, well that’s Tesla level sloppiness and a PDI failure. Most other new owners have not had this happen but this one definitely slipped through the cracks. I wouldn’t refuse delivery of the car over it, might as well drive it until they service those issues. Interestingly my car does have a less severe A pillar trim problem similar to yours, it’s just not as loose. As for the poor audio, do a Valet card reboot,leave the car for 15 minutes then come back and ask Alexa to play the Humpty Dance or something with well known subwoofer usage. It may just be a stupid software glitch, as there’s not a mechanical (speaker not on, wires not connected) explanation for what you’re experiencing, unless it’s a broken DSP or amp that’s only sending audio to two channels.

They will fix all these things. I wouldn’t sell the car over it, these are minor things, though I do agree these trim lapses shouldn’t be happening.

OK. When I think subs, I think of the big boxy ones dedicated for bass alone.
That is what they are. However, they are also a subset of 'speakers'

Bass in the car will not be handled by subwoofers alone, although the car does have dedicated subs which would cover lower low frequencies (IE most LFE channels send 150hz and below and the steepness of the cutoff is pre-built into the system). I think a few of the front speakers are full range and should be capable of getting as low 150hz, maybe just with some steep roll off, so if the subwoofers weren’t on or connected, ideally it wouldn’t sound like “no bass”, it would just sound like less bass, which makes me think it’s a software or DSP failure.

I would suggest doing a software restart of your car and all of the speakers should come back on. Some of the recent updates have caused the back speakers to drop. My parents received their car yesterday and had the same issue and the restart fixed it. Also, if you are streaming from Amazon, it will not sound as good as if you are using a hi fi app such as Tidal. That’s just the nature of online streaming. There are many helpful threads here about the sound system, which in many of our opinions is amazing. I suggest reserving judgment until you listen to the system in hi fi and/or Dolby Atmos.

Lucid will take care of your other issues, including receiving the car a little dirty. Receiving it at a Walmart is not going to be the same experience receiving it in the service center for obvious reasons.

Back