trim issues

Bass in the car will not be handled by subwoofers alone, although the car does have dedicated subs which would cover lower low frequencies (IE most LFE channels send 150hz and below and the steepness of the cutoff is pre-built into the system). I think a few of the front speakers are full range and should be capable of getting as low 150hz, maybe just with some steep roll off, so if the subwoofers weren’t on or connected, ideally it wouldn’t sound like “no bass”, it would just sound like less bass, which makes me think it’s a software or DSP failure.
There is a crossover but I forget at what frequency; @copper posted the frequency response somewhere in the forums previously.

Yes. If you are not happy with the car. delivery experience, etc ... you can decline the car. Simple.

If you decline a car do they assign you another, or take it away, fix issues then redeliver?

I know with Rivian if you decline your assigned VIN they cancel the order outright and you are back at square one placing a new order online.

Took delivery of my Grand Touring on Wednesday (9/28/22) in Utah. DA met me at a nearby Walmart where car was apparently unloaded from carrier.

(1) Car was filthy. Every other car I have ever purchased (new or used) was spotless at the moment of delivery. According to the DA, the enclosed car carrier used to transport it was ”dusty.” The advisor said something about Lucid being willing to reimburse me for a detail as I did not receive a clean car.

(2) Trim issue #1 — In the walk around, we quickly noticed the upper part of the trunk lining was hanging about an inch below the upper lip of the trunk. In addition, did not seem to be seated properly — where the middle section joined the section of liner from the passenger side, there was a strip of sticky liner — it appears as if that middle section of liner was inserted about 3 inches to the left of where the glue for it was — leaving the glue residue open to the touch. Clearly screwed up. DA said he had never seen before and promised they would fix.

(3) Trim issue #2 — I noticed on the drive home that the felt pieces that cover the interior A pillars were loose. With Duct tape I was able to secure them so that they do not fall off when going over bumps.

(4) trim issue #3 — Upon getting out of the car at home I noticed the exterior trim at the base of the driver-side backseat window was not attached to the on one side. If the window is opened and then closed, the movement of the window pulls this trim up away from the car door. I was able to secure with additional Duct tape.

(5) Soundsystem — I thought it sounded a little quiet (and tinny) when the DA showed me how to use. After spending a few hours with it, I realize there are only two speakers in the car making any noise at all. In addition, if I move any of base, mid, treble from one extreme to another, there is no audible difference. I think this might be due to the fact that the speakers providing base and treble are not connected. At this point, the system only slightly louder than (but tonally not as good as!?!) the built-in speaker on my iphone. So, in the brief time I was able to drive the car, I had to use my iPhone speaker function rather than the car‘s speakers.

Some good news — Lucid is going to send someone out to take a look at these issues on October 13th (15 days after purchase). The car will be charging in my garage until then and at the <1 mile per hour of range that the 120V offers, it ought to be fully charged by then.

In the grand scheme of things these are quite small issues, I know, but at these prices I was expecting more. Let me put it this way: (1) Never before have a bought a car this expensive, and (2) Never before have I had to use duct tape to hold parts of a car in the proper place. Frankly, these issues have shaken my faith in the build quality to the point that I am now doubting whether to compound my error by installing a dedicated charger in the garage. At this point, I’m strongly considering cutting my losses and selling. Of course, I cannot do that until I get it sorted. Hopefully, it will be fully sorted after one service visit.

What a painful (and expensive) lesson.
This is mirroring my experience with the vehicle so far into my third week into ownership.

The car interior alcantara wrapped pieces are pretty to look at, but are literally held together by Velcro. Yes, Velcro on a $140,000 vehicle (photo provided). The trim inconsistencies are beyond embarrassing for a car at this price point as well.

My rear passenger side door auto soft close does not work because the weather stripping is not afixed properly to the car frame. The driver’s side rear door handle is permanently stuck in the inverted position and has been making a clicking noise for days now. That door is inoperable frlm the outside. Supposedly Lucid will be replacing this (waiting….).

I also had the audio issue you described. Only the front speakers worked for my entire trip of 5 hours. After parking the vehicle and letting is go to sleep mode, then getting back in the car woke up the rest of the speakers. I doubt it’s a hardware issue, but super annoying. I also kept having volume auto adjustments happening during driving. The volume would randomly go up.

The car creaks over bumps to the point that I no longer drive it. My Q5 is rock solid by comparison, yet it has 50K miles.

The car’s driving dynamics are amazing, but when you’re frustrated by the car’s interior to the point that you don’t want to drive it anymore, then what’s the point?

I’m with you on selling. At this point I’m waiting for someone to fix these issues and then I’ll seriously consider letting it go. I want to like the car so badly, but daily I’m reminded that Lucid is an infant auto maker and their experience in battery/electric motor tech may be unparalleled, but their attention to detail leaves a LOT to be desired.

I won’t even start with the nightmare of financing. Let’s just say I had to take out two loans because their sales team asked my lender for the wrong amount initially, only to find out upon the second loan application approval that the fed had raised the rate by 0.25%. They called it a “clerical error”.

Hope this post helps somebody feel like they’re not the only person whose car is far from perfect.

Attachments

• E33132CB-0711-4EA0-A5B6-6E357CA156A0.jpeg
    E33132CB-0711-4EA0-A5B6-6E357CA156A0.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 165
This is mirroring my experience with the vehicle so far into my third week into ownership.

The car interior alcantara wrapped pieces are pretty to look at, but are literally held together by Velcro. Yes, Velcro on a $140,000 vehicle (photo provided). The trim inconsistencies are beyond embarrassing for a car at this price point as well.

My rear passenger side door auto soft close does not work because the weather stripping is not afixed properly to the car frame. The driver’s side rear door handle is permanently stuck in the inverted position and has been making a clicking noise for days now. That door is inoperable frlm the outside. Supposedly Lucid will be replacing this (waiting….).

I also had the audio issue you described. Only the front speakers worked for my entire trip of 5 hours. After parking the vehicle and letting is go to sleep mode, then getting back in the car woke up the rest of the speakers. I doubt it’s a hardware issue, but super annoying. I also kept having volume auto adjustments happening during driving. The volume would randomly go up.

The car creaks over bumps to the point that I no longer drive it. My Q5 is rock solid by comparison, yet it has 50K miles.

The car’s driving dynamics are amazing, but when you’re frustrated by the car’s interior to the point that you don’t want to drive it anymore, then what’s the point?

I’m with you on selling. At this point I’m waiting for someone to fix these issues and then I’ll seriously consider letting it go. I want to like the car so badly, but daily I’m reminded that Lucid is an infant auto maker and their experience in battery/electric motor tech may be unparalleled, but their attention to detail leaves a LOT to be desired.

I won’t even start with the nightmare of financing. Let’s just say I had to take out two loans because their sales team asked my lender for the wrong amount initially, only to find out upon the second loan application approval that the fed had raised the rate by 0.25%. They called it a “clerical error”.

Hope this post helps somebody feel like they’re not the only person whose car is far from perfect.
@Dhimiter,

Sorry to hear of your experience. Hopefully gets better for both of us soon.

Your comment abut driving dynamics is spot on—best car I’ve ever driven in terms of feel for the road, acceleration, smoothness, etc.

Unfortunately for me, I am not capable of enjoying it when I’m frustrated that the trim is literally falling off the car and that the sound system is so poor. If any piece of trim ought to be properly attached, I’d suggest they pay attention to the driver-side A-Pillar trim -- it is literally in the driver line of sight!

It is really hard to fathom such a gap between the quality of the driving and the quality of the “other stuff” (trim, audio, ease-of-use charging). Objectively, the other stuff ought not to matter as much to me as it does. Unfortunately, for me at least, it does matter and it colors the whole experience.

The final straw for me was a failed charging experience at EA last Thursday. Although I had enough range to get home, I thought: “why bother?” I can’t charge it at home until I get a high speed charger. So I had Lucid emergency roadside call for a Lyft for me. They took the car from the EA charger and hopefully will give it back to me after most of the trim issues have been fixed and the Sound system fixed. Not expecting much, however.

It's really beyond my comprehension why such an engineering marvel and now a herculean effort for the software are paired with velcro and the likes. I mean there's an assortment of zillions of clips, panel retainers, rivets, etc.
After all, this is a high performance car, not exactly a high-school project.
Frankly speaking, this whole subject is what I'm a bit concerned about and I'm not sure how to deal with it.
Am I over- reacting? Don't know.

@Dhimiter,

Sorry to hear of your experience. Hopefully gets better for both of us soon.

Your comment abut driving dynamics is spot on—best car I’ve ever driven in terms of feel for the road, acceleration, smoothness, etc.

Unfortunately for me, I am not capable of enjoying it when I’m frustrated that the trim is literally falling off the car and that the sound system is so poor. If any piece of trim ought to be properly attached, I’d suggest they pay attention to the driver-side A-Pillar trim -- it is literally in the driver line of sight!

It is really hard to fathom such a gap between the quality of the driving and the quality of the “other stuff” (trim, audio, ease-of-use charging). Objectively, the other stuff ought not to matter as much to me as it does. Unfortunately, for me at least, it does matter and it colors the whole experience.

The final straw for me was a failed charging experience at EA last Thursday. Although I had enough range to get home, I thought: “why bother?” I can’t charge it at home until I get a high speed charger. So I had Lucid emergency roadside call for a Lyft for me. They took the car from the EA charger and hopefully will give it back to me after most of the trim issues have been fixed and the Sound system fixed. Not expecting much, however.
Sadly, my EA experiences also mirror yours. My first attempted charging session ended with no charging after 1.5 hours on the phone with Luvid and EA. I have yet to charge the vehicle at EA successfully. 90% of the chargers refuse to recognize the vehicle. One of the EA reps actually encouraged me to “take the car back to the dealer”. So far, the following has happened: Lucid is blaming EA (EA supposedly is updating so many chargers, blah, blah). EA blamed Lucid. An EA rep at one point told me to call Lucid and ask them to “flip a switch” so my car can be recognized by EA. EA cannot even force a charge to start remotely. Charging at ChargePoint and EVgo works just fine.

The interior and exterior trim/panel gap issues that had gained notoriety at first are still very much a problem. I have little faith that this car will survive a New England winter unscathed. The rubberized seals on some of the gaps are improperly installed on my vehicle and I know for a fact that water will get in there and freeze and cause a nightmare. The fact that the company never even thought about all weather mats illustrates my case about attention to detail.

This car was made for Southern California. If you live there, get it.

It's really beyond my comprehension why such an engineering marvel and now a herculean effort for the software are paired with velcro and the likes. I mean there's an assortment of zillions of clips, panel retainers, rivets, etc.
After all, this is a high performance car, not exactly a high-school project.
Frankly speaking, this whole subject is what I'm a bit concerned about and I'm not sure how to deal with it.
Am I over- reacting? Don't know.
You are not overreacting, The car looks pretty inside and out. Then you use it and realize the steering wheel is entirely composed of plastic and creaks (yes, my steering wheel creaks on contact). So far, in comparing this car to a 4 year old SUV 1/3 its price, only the door trim feels more solid than my Audi.

Sad. I wish I could just call Lucid and literally ask for a rebuild. I have zero faith that this car interior will age well.

I wasn't happy about my delivery process either. Between the headquarters DA, Seattle Service Center DA, and the Seattle Service Center delivery person, the info was all over the place, or no communication at all, including finding where the car actually was. I had to repeat my questions and concerns to all three people. The Seattle Service Center delivery person, who drove the car to my home, was very enthusiastic and stayed with me for four hours -- very good. However, four hours turned out to be insignificant for the checkout, and I spent the rest of the day checking out myself and by far didn't finish. Two days minimum would have been needed. As this point I gave up. If I'm going to drive a broken car so be it. The entire situation was no one knowing nothing. I'm not an auto inspector or mechanic. I just had it.

As just one small example. The Seattle Service Center delivery person couldn't log on to her hot spot. She had to call the Center for password but didn't help. We tried to pay for my spare tire with credit card over the phone with the Center, but they said can't receive payments this way (they said they're not even set up for it). I finally hot-spotted her from my cell. Now, the card reader in her tablet didn't work, and she had to enter the number manually. Just this little episode shows they aren’t set up with normal business procedures.

Please see attached Checklist and Discrepancy List and photos. What I deem most serious is the rattling when driving over uneven pavement and unless you take the entire car apart and look for loose pieces, there's no way to find where all this rattling/creaking is coming from, and I strongly suspect it doesn’t come from just one source. For example, and as you can see in my Discrepancy List, three out of four wheel-wells inserts had broken or missing fasteners.

I was also surprised and disappoint that my Lucid AGT is a little bit nosier in town as well as on the highway than my 2014 Nissan Altima. I was thinking Lucid would be quieter than a "basic" car as Altima.

See photo of AGT and 2014 Altima. Altima is true silver, and I'd call AGT grey. I selected Cosmos Silver only because dirt doesn't show as well on silver. Now with the Cosmos Silver being darker than typical silver, dirt will show more easily.

Attachments

• Lucid Delivery Checklist 2022_10_07.pdf
    141.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Lucid_Discrepancy List 2022_10_14.pdf
    82.6 KB · Views: 166
  • Lucid_Discrepancy List Photos 2022_10_14.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 189
  • Resized_20221014_075029.jpeg
    Resized_20221014_075029.jpeg
    705.6 KB · Views: 103
I wasn't happy about my delivery process either. Between the headquarters DA, Seattle Service Center DA, and the Seattle Service Center delivery person, the info was all over the place, or no communication at all, including finding where the car actually was. I had to repeat my questions and concerns to all three people. The Seattle Service Center delivery person, who drove the car to my home, was very enthusiastic and stayed with me for four hours -- very good. However, four hours turned out to be insignificant for the checkout, and I spent the rest of the day checking out myself and by far didn't finish. Two days minimum would have been needed. As this point I gave up. If I'm going to drive a broken car so be it. The entire situation was no one knowing nothing. I'm not an auto inspector or mechanic. I just had it.

As just one small example. The Seattle Service Center delivery person couldn't log on to her hot spot. She had to call the Center for password but didn't help. We tried to pay for my spare tire with credit card over the phone with the Center, but they said can't receive payments this way (they said they're not even set up for it). I finally hot-spotted her from my cell. Now, the card reader in her tablet didn't work, and she had to enter the number manually. Just this little episode shows they aren’t set up with normal business procedures.

Please see attached Checklist and Discrepancy List and photos. What I deem most serious is the rattling when driving over uneven pavement and unless you take the entire car apart and look for loose pieces, there's no way to find where all this rattling/creaking is coming from, and I strongly suspect it doesn’t come from just one source. For example, and as you can see in my Discrepancy List, three out of four wheel-wells inserts had broken or missing fasteners.

I was also surprised and disappoint that my Lucid AGT is a little bit nosier in town as well as on the highway than my 2014 Nissan Altima. I was thinking Lucid would be quieter than a "basic" car as Altima.

See photo of AGT and 2014 Altima. Altima is true silver, and I'd call AGT grey. I selected Cosmos Silver only because dirt doesn't show as well on silver. Now with the Cosmos Silver being darker than typical silver, dirt will show more easily.
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I have several of those issues on your discrepancy list. The attention to detail by their QC process is horrendous. I understand, I, like some others here may be more detail oriented than others, but the items we’re talking about are not nitpicking.

I can attest to the specific creaking noise coming from the rear of the vehicle and I agree with you. Finding it’s source would require removing every single interior panel. Bewildering. My steering wheel creaks just from hitting road imperfections even if I’m not touching the wheel.

I can also attest that the cabin is a bit louder and less well isolated that in my 2018 Audi Q5. I specifically asked the sales advisor during my test drive in CA (at that time) and he mentioned that there was acoustic glass all around the vehicle. I find this hard to believe. Cabin noise is by no means bad, but Mercedes S class territory? Haha, no, I don’t think so.

I don’t see a good solution to these problems other than expertise from an established luxury manufacturer with rock solid QA/QC processes.

Reactions: Bel
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I have several of those issues on your discrepancy list. The attention to detail by their QC process is horrendous. I understand, I, like some others here may be more detail oriented than others, but the items we’re talking about are not nitpicking.

I can attest to the specific creaking noise coming from the rear of the vehicle and I agree with you. Finding it’s source would require removing every single interior panel. Bewildering. My steering wheel creaks just from hitting road imperfections even if I’m not touching the wheel.

I can also attest that the cabin is a bit louder and less well isolated that in my 2018 Audi Q5. I specifically asked the sales advisor during my test drive in CA (at that time) and he mentioned that there was acoustic glass all around the vehicle. I find this hard to believe. Cabin noise is by no means bad, but Mercedes S class territory? Haha, no, I don’t think so.

I don’t see a good solution to these problems other than expertise from an established luxury manufacturer with rock solid QA/QC processes.
The only creak I’ve heard from the rear (and not on my car) was the rear sunshade being poorly seated. If that’s what you’re hearing, that’s trivially fixable.

The only creak I’ve heard from the rear (and not on my car) was the rear sunshade being poorly seated. If that’s what you’re hearing, that’s trivially fixable.
It is not. I pressed literally every square inch to see if I could recreate the sound, but no luck. It sounds like a tearing sound. Now knowing that the panels are in part held in place by Velcro, I’m not all that surprised about the sounds I’m hearing.

It is not. I pressed literally every square inch to see if I could recreate the sound, but no luck. It sounds like a tearing sound. Now knowing that the panels are in part held in place by Velcro, I’m not all that surprised about the sounds I’m hearing.
Have you talked to service about it? Mine has zero rattles or creaks. The steering wheel is a known issue they have a workaround for which will fix it temporarily, but they will be upgrading it to an improved steering wheel design long term. I don’t have that issue, but it’s fairly common.

Have you talked to service about it? Mine has zero rattles or creaks. The steering wheel is a known issue they have a workaround for which will fix it temporarily, but they will be upgrading it to an improved steering wheel design long term. I don’t have that issue, but it’s fairly common.
Yes, I have. Every time I call support, they just say “ok, we’ll add that to your existing work order”. It’s now been two weeks and nobody had looked at the car nor taken it in for addressing the climbing number of issues. Again, this is the problem with ownership when no service center is present locally.

Yes, I have. Every time I call support, they just say “ok, we’ll add that to your existing work order”. It’s now been two weeks and nobody had looked at the car nor taken it in for addressing the climbing number of issues. Again, this is the problem with ownership when no service center is present locally.
So in a $140-150,000 car whose performance is constantly being touted, a creaky steering wheel constructed entirely out of plastic was the best way to have the driver “communicate” with the vehicle. That’s just a puzzling choice to me honestly.

@Dhimiter, I share your frustration. I also have the same creaky steering wheel. I was told that this had to do with manufacturing tolerances for two parts that ended up rubbing against each other. This is being worked on and I'm (along with other folks) waiting for that new steering wheel.

I am quite surprised to hear some of these extremely negative experiences. While my fit and finish is not perfect ( I have a minor issue with the passenger back door) , I haven’t experienced any of these glaring problems . I occasionally hear a rattling noise but it is inconsistent and cannot always recreate it . My interior appears put together very well. I do lament the lack of all weather mats and hope those will be available shortly.

So in a $140-150,000 car whose performance is constantly being touted, a creaky steering wheel constructed entirely out of plastic was the best way to have the driver “communicate” with the vehicle. That’s just a puzzling choice to me honestly.
It’s not constructed entirely out of plastic, and the creaking (which I’ve never had but does happen to some) was clearly not intentional. They have a workaround to fix it in the meantime, before newly designed steering wheels are available (and are actively being worked on).

Not sure what part of that is puzzling. An issue with manufacturing happened for some; they’re fixing it.

I agree it isn’t ideal, but it isn’t absurd or unthinkable either.

@Dhimiter, I share your frustration. I also have the same creaky steering wheel. I was told that this had to do with manufacturing tolerances for two parts that ended up rubbing against each other. This is being worked on and I'm (along with other folks) waiting for that new steering wheel.
I am quite surprised to hear some of these extremely negative experiences. While my fit and finish is not perfect ( I have a minor issue with the passenger back door) , I haven’t experienced any of these glaring problems . I occasionally hear a rattling noise but it is inconsistent and cannot always recreate it . My interior appears put together very well. I do lament the lack of all weather mats and hope those will be available shortly.
I’m glad it’s not widespread, but the fact that it’s inconsistent means their QC process is inadequate. The fact that the vehicle is assembled by hand is also not such a great perk. Individuals putting these together perhaps have different attention to detail.

I’m glad it’s not widespread, but the fact that it’s inconsistent means their QC process is inadequate. The fact that the vehicle is assembled by hand is also not such a great perk. Individuals putting these together perhaps have different attention to detail.
Their QC process is improving, and they will fix it for you. I’d contact your closest service center directly.

Back