Tom Moloughney Range Test

Looks like 1 giant cover!

Wow, so you are really buying this car without ever touching one? That's a huge leap of faith, bravo
I did the same in 2011 with an unknown new car called a Tesla Model S, and it turned out ok. I want Lucid (and Rivian and any manufacturer who builds good EVs) to succeed like Tesla!

Looks like 1 giant cover!
Each of the "leaves" pop out, but are attached together in the center. I think I would need to remove the Lucid center logo cap to remove them and when the mobile service people were at my home, they didn't know how to immediately do this.

I was trying to do this, because the hole for the tire valve stem was not large enough to allow my air pressure chuck to fit. I have since gotten a dual straight/angled chuck with a Milton pressure gauge (https://www.amazon.com/Milton-s-587e-Precision-Inflator-Pressure/dp/B07RVD8DB2), but it too has a hard time fitting in there because the valves are not perfectly centered. Popping just the leaf where the valve is located allows me to put the chuck through the hole and align it with the valve. I have ordered a straight head air chuck that should work directly, since it's a bit thinner than the hole (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O2ZKQC)

Moloughney noted that Teslas, which also use the 5-cycle EPA test, typically fall 10-13% short of their EPA ranges in the InsideEVs tests, whereas the Lucid fell 4% short.

This says it all:

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 9.21.48 AM.png

In fairness, it must be noted that the Model S Plaid was tested with 21" wheels, while the Lucid Air had 19" wheels and is not the most powerful version of the Air. Even so, the Plaid came in 14% under its EPA range of 348 miles with the 21" tires.

Just watched on YouTube!

That's incredible! Now lets see what the reaction is among the doubters.

I feel much better crossing from Grand Canyon Railway to Four Corners and then to Bluff, UT "if needed" can possibly make it to Moab.

It almost doesn’t seem fair to the other cars… breaking records by 60% more miles.

Just watched on YouTube!

That's incredible! Now lets see what the reaction is among the doubters.
It'll be that Tom is paid off by Lucid, or they had a chase vehicle charging or some bulllshit

I love how he managed expectations before the test by saying the temperature was 50, not ideal, it wasn't as flat as his usual route in New Jersey, and yet went on to crush it. That graph is crazy.

One thing I need to ponder is if the speedometer was off by 2 MPH, would that also make the mileage off also. If you multiply 500*70/72 you will get 486 miles. Should this be the range?

One thing I need to ponder is if the speedometer was off by 2 MPH, would that also make the mileage off also.

No. The odometer doesn't record via the speedometer. It's quite common for car manufacturers to set speedometers 1-2 below actual speed. Not sure if it's for their own legal protection so if people get tickets they can't say but but but your speedometer said I was going this speed.

I gave up my iX allocation back in December when my AGT order was confirmed. My build slot was scheduled for April with likely delivery by June. I was sorely tempted by the iX but went with Lucid as the price differential wasn't actually that great and the iX seems so inefficient compared with the Lucid. (That said, I believe that the BMW could be more of a trouble-free ownership experience, though my old 3-series was a PITA to keep running.)

The software issues with Lucid have made me second-guess my decision but overall, I think Lucid remains the better long-term value. And it's probably a helluva lot more fun. After all, YOLO!
The iX launch in the U.K. was 13th November, my scheduled test drive was initially postponed due to software updates - in dealer, not OTA. Lucid aren’t alone with software challenges on a new car.

Damn that’s impressive. I thought the smart money was on 480-490 miles of range. I did notice that he was being passed a lot so 70 was slow for traffic on this drive. I wonder how much range you loose at 80 mph when you start pushing some air. I’m guessing with a GT at 80 (with 21 inch wheels) I’m still looking at 400 plus. I’m happy but my prostate is not

Back