Tom Moloughney Range Test

Can someone post his number once he states it? I’ve got fun meetings out the wazoo today so can’t listen till later and I’m impatient

The podcast is tomorrow. (I just tried to watch it and then noticed the tweet was posted this morning, not yesterday.)

The podcast is tomorrow. (I just tried to watch it and then noticed the tweet was posted this morning, not yesterday.)
I just skipped reading the word tomorrow :). Maybe my brain is just skipping words it doesn’t like.

The flight from new jersey to london is 7.5 hours. Even if we round it down, it is a massive range at 70mph.

Closest comparison that Tom has tested is the Model S Plaid with 21" wheels. He achieved a 300 mile range versus the EPA rating of 354 miles.

British Air's flight time is 6 hours and 40 minutes. That's still almost 470 miles.

Well just based on math its over 525 so subtract time to go to the restroom and stretch. That's the winter flight time, LOL

From the photo looks like he's driving with 19" wheels and probably the DE Range version?? Or could be the GT model?

He did the DE R on the 19's. Friend of mine said he got 404 but not sure where he got the info as I couldn't find it online. If that's the case, I would assume 430 to 450 in summer maybe which is what I was expecting given they followed the same EPA process as Tesla. Interestingly, EQS got 420 miles on a smaller battery and it's a heavier car than the Lucid which is disappointing.

It's 538 miles, but let's wait for the podcast. Tom is very unbias & well-balanced..

404 was going to be disappointment but 538 would be insane. Anything close to 450 and I would've been very happy.

He did the DE R on the 19's. Friend of mine said he got 404 . . . .

If Moloughney got only 404 miles out of the range test, that would have been one of the biggest misses against EPA range he'd ever seen in a range test. Nothing in that tweet suggested such an outcome. I also can't imagine that Moloughney would have put "#rangemonster" in his tweet if he got only 404 miles.

Is your friend a Tesla fanboy or Warren Redlich acolyte?

If Moloughney got only 404 miles out of the range test, that would have been one of the biggest misses against EPA range he'd ever seen in a range test. Nothing in that tweet suggested such an outcome. I also can't imagine that Moloughney would have put "#rangemonster" in his tweet if he got only 404 miles.

Is your friend a Tesla fanboy or Warren Redlich acolyte?

Lol, no he's an EV enthusiast so figured he must have read it somewhere on twitter or social media but I just couldn't find it. if it really is 538 that's an awesome result :)

He did the DE R on the 19's. Friend of mine said he got 404 but not sure where he got the info as I couldn't find it online. If that's the case, I would assume 430 to 450 in summer maybe which is what I was expecting given they followed the same EPA process as Tesla. Interestingly, EQS got 420 miles on a smaller battery and it's a heavier car than the Lucid which is disappointing.

The EQS achieved 422 miles on the Edmunds test which is different than the test Tom performs. The Model S Plaid achieved 345 miles in the Edmunds test, but only 300 miles in Tom's test. Tom hasn't tested the EQS I believe.

Of course, Porsches and Audis routinely beat their EPA estimates in Moloughney's 70-mph tests. However, they use the more-stringent 2-cycle EPA test instead of the more-forgiving 5-cycle test that Lucid and Tesla opt to use. Thus, Porsches and Audis start with very low EPA range estimates (just over 200 miles) that are easy to beat in highway driving. If Moloughey got 490 miles or above in the Lucid range test, it means that the Air almost doubled the Porsche highway range on a 118-kWh battery vs. the 92-kWh battery in the Porsche.

A 538-mile range from Moloughney against EPA estimates would be spectacular -- but anything in the upper 400's would be very good, indeed, especially if he did the test in his usual New Jersey venue in January.

This type of test is really what I've been waiting for. 1/4 mile times and acceleration is cool, but anything faster than an 11 second 1/4 mile or 0-60 under 3 seconds is getting insane. For me the Lucid is all about a high level of performance and luxury, but game changing range.

As stated above anything in the upper 400's would be incredible. That would be double the range of my Taycan and nearly 50% more than a Tesla Model S.

Back