Tom Moloughney Range Test

No one is talking much about the VW software, but there are a lot of stories about it not being very good either? Anyone have some first hand experience with it?
Completely agree! VW Group as a whole has a huge software development problem and in true fashion takes them months to get updates out or just ignore the issues and move on. At least Lucid is actively updating the software.

If you read the reviews on the new BMW electrics, the i series, they are far from lost in the wilderness.

BMW began selling the first cars from its "i" EV sub-brand in February 2011. This was almost a year before Rivian began development of its first BEV. It was over a year before Tesla brought the Model S to market. It was over three years before Atieva decided to start development of a full EV. When you look at what Tesla, Lucid, and Rivian have done in less time than BMW has actually been selling EVs, I would argue that BMW has, in fact, been largely asleep at the switch for most of the past decade in bringing a state-of-the-art EV to market -- which is what one should expect from the BMW brand.

BMW began selling the first cars from its "i" EV sub-brand in February 2011. This was almost a year before Rivian began development of its first BEV. It was over a year before Tesla brought the Model S to market. It was over three years before Atieva decided to start development of a full EV. When you look at what Tesla, Lucid, and Rivian have done in less time than BMW has actually been selling EVs, I would argue that BMW has, in fact, been largely asleep at the switch for most of the past decade.
Regardless, I'm talking about their current, newly released products. The execution is excellent, regardless of how long it took them to get there. Reviews have been excellent, from the handling, to the ride comfort, to the fit & finish, to the acceleration (yes, for those where the fastest 0-60 times are critical, not Lucid-like) to the software. So how they got there or how long it took them to get there is unimportant to me. For my purposes, where the i4 lags relative to the Lucid, is range. It's still acceptable, but I'd like it better.

So for me there are 2 contenders for what I'm looking for, Lucid & the i4.

Regardless, I'm talking about their current, newly released products. The execution is excellent, regardless of how long it took them to get there. Reviews have been excellent, from the handling, to the ride comfort, to the fit & finish, to the acceleration (yes, for those where the fastest 0-60 times are critical, not Lucid-like) to the software. So how they got there or how long it took them to get there is unimportant to me. For my purposes, where the i4 lags relative to the Lucid, is range. It's still acceptable, but I'd like it better.

So for me there are 2 contenders for what I'm looking for, Lucid & the i4.

While I have the AGT on order for myself, I agree with Lucken, and have a BMW i4 M50 on order for my wife. She wants a small sedan and outside of the Tesla model 3, there really is no other good alternative out there at this time.

BMW began selling the first cars from its "i" EV sub-brand in February 2011. This was almost a year before Rivian began development of its first BEV. It was over a year before Tesla brought the Model S to market. It was over three years before Atieva decided to start development of a full EV. When you look at what Tesla, Lucid, and Rivian have done in less time than BMW has actually been selling EVs, I would argue that BMW has, in fact, been largely asleep at the switch for most of the past decade in bringing a state-of-the-art EV to market -- which is what one should expect from the BMW brand.
So true. The iX strikes me as their first *good* EV for the current era, but the i4 is a waste because it is limited by the 3 series platform. They should have gone all-in on bespoke sooner, so they're playing catch up.

So true. The iX strikes me as their first *good* EV for the current era, but the i4 is a waste because it is limited by the 3 series platform. They should have gone all-in on bespoke sooner, so they're playing catch up.

I gave up my iX allocation back in December when my AGT order was confirmed. My build slot was scheduled for April with likely delivery by June. I was sorely tempted by the iX but went with Lucid as the price differential wasn't actually that great and the iX seems so inefficient compared with the Lucid. (That said, I believe that the BMW could be more of a trouble-free ownership experience, though my old 3-series was a PITA to keep running.)

The software issues with Lucid have made me second-guess my decision but overall, I think Lucid remains the better long-term value. And it's probably a helluva lot more fun. After all, YOLO!

I gave up my iX allocation back in December when my AGT order was confirmed. My build slot was scheduled for April with likely delivery by June. I was sorely tempted by the iX but went with Lucid as the price differential wasn't actually that great and the iX seems so inefficient compared with the Lucid.

The software issues with Lucid have made me second-guess my decision but overall, I think Lucid remains the better long-term value. And it's probably a helluva lot more fun. After all, YOLO!
Funny enough, I'm in the same boat.

Once I got to test drive the Lucid it sealed the deal for me. The iX is actually really good looking imho and an excellent car, but the lucid is a better drivers car and that's really all I'm after in the end.

I'd hardly call the i4 a waste because it doesn't have a bespoke platform. It's essentially an electrified 4 series Grand Coupe and that's surely not a bad thing. There are far less teething pains when you go with a tried & tested platform and software. Interestingly, there was an efficiency test of EVs done recently (can't quite recall where), and the i4 turned out to be one of the most efficient of those EVs tested. The Lucid was not tested in that grouping and probably would have led the pack.

As for the iX, I'm done with SUVs, been there done that and tired of them. You can never get the handling with an SUV that you can with a sedan. Although looks are subjective, I fine the iX quite ugly.

I was watching the podcast as I usually do every Friday. I guessed 476 in the chat. Let's see how close I am. If it's much better than that guess I'll be even more pleased. Grand Canyon Railway to Moab via Four Corners is 414 miles. So, should make Bluff, UT easily.

Are you getting the range 19"?

Yes, I'll have to figure out how to purchase a set of the 21" and have them shipped home.
Yea definitely get on top of that now, since those 21" are exclusive to dream editions

Yes, I'll have to figure out how to purchase a set of the 21" and have them shipped home.

Since both wheels were no cost options, I would have ordered the 21" wheels with the car, and then paid for the 19" wheels separate. I'm sure they will charge a lot more for the 21" wheels.

Since both wheels were no cost options, I would have ordered the 21" wheels with the car, and then paid for the 19" wheels separate. I'm sure they will charge a lot more for the 21" wheels.
I got the 19" wheels and asked about the 21" wheels, which I may use in the summer. They have it on the list of things they will "do" for me, but they haven't mentioned a price yet. Since I could have gotten the car with the 21" wheels, I think they should not charge more than the 19" wheels.

I got the 19" wheels and asked about the 21" wheels, which I may use in the summer. They have it on the list of things they will "do" for me, but they haven't mentioned a price yet. Since I could have gotten the car with the 21" wheels, I think they should not charge more than the 19" wheels.
I'm curious if your tires show the "LM1" designation? On Tire Rack only the 21" tires have the "LM1" designation.

I'm curious if your tires show the "LM1" designation? On Tire Rack only the 21" tires have the "LM1" designation.
Yes
19%22 Lucid Perelli Tires.jpg

All of them?
I think hydbob was asking if you got the DE Range with 19" wheels. I think you're getting the GT with 19" wheels for your trip. You would order the Aero Blade 21" which is available to all trims outside the DE so no worries about availability.

Alex, are the black parts of the wheel removable like on the Aero Dream 21"?

Back