Tired of Poor Quality software

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s also the Rivians that customers are getting with doors misaligned and they’re having a ton of issues with factory applied PPF having orange peel, bubbles, etc.

I’m very skeptical of that review above too as that person doesn’t sound like they actually own the car because they’re complaining about features that actually aren’t enabled yet, which any Lucid owner should know. Plus the 1.2.1 update from before that post fixed the proximity unlock. The car absolutely locks itself when you walk away, and he’s also complaining about the key fob not opening the Frunk when it does (just press and hold) and not opening the Trunk when that’s in fact not a feature of the fob and 100% of actual Lucid owners would know that because the DA tells you that. You can use Siri to open the trunk (it’s in the app), you can use the app to open the trunk, or just use your hand.
My car is in PPF Shop show room. “Hey Siri, honk the horn!” I like that practical joke to startle bystanding admirers.

The car absolutely locks itself when you walk away,
I’ve had this happen to me twice. Been sitting inside a Starbucks and looked at the car to see the handles still sticking out. I’m using the phone only and not carrying a fob.

Reset mechanism 1:
1) step out of car
2) lock twice with fob so the horn honks
3) walk 20-30 feet away for 60-90 seconds
4) come back and unlock car.

Reset mechanism 2 (and the one I usually use, since you don’t have to leave the car):
1) turn on the turn signal left or right
2) open the door
3) close the door
4) lock the car
5) wait for signal to stop
6) unlock car
7) open door and pretend to get in

I agree they are annoying reset mechanisms, but they do work!
The fact that one has to go through 7 steps to reset a car is proof the software needs a complete rethink. Both the Rivian and the Plaid can be reset by just holding two buttons for a few seconds.

The fact that one has to go through 7 steps to reset a car is proof the software needs a complete rethink. Both the Rivian and the Plaid can be reset by just holding two buttons for a few seconds.
Our Volvo will let you reset the infotainment system by holding down one button, and reset the comms module by holding down another. But there is no mechanism to reboot the car's driving software, I assume for safety reasons.

It takes ctrl-alt-delete to a whole new level of bloody awkward

Definitely room for improvement on the sw.

I’m lucky I’ve had one issue that required a reset (gps stopped) … and I had saved the instructions so it was a reasonably painless “fix” despite being 9pm an hour into a 1000 road trip

I’ve had this happen to me twice. Been sitting inside a Starbucks and looked at the car to see the handles still sticking out. I’m using the phone only and not carrying a fob.
I always carry the fob so maybe that’s why I don’t have unlock/lock issues. Out of curiosity why do so many people not carry a fob? I’d be terrified to trust my phone as the only means for entering/exiting/driving any car even with Pentagon level robust software.

I always carry the fob so maybe that’s why I don’t have unlock/lock issues. Out of curiosity why do so many people not carry a fob? I’d be terrified to trust my phone as the only means for entering/exiting/driving any car even with Pentagon level robust software.
My Tesla didn't even come with a fob. I've had very few issues just using the phone, with the key card as a backup in my wallet.

My entire goal in life is to be able to walk around with just my phone. I can't wait to put my driver's license in there when that becomes available. I pay for everything pretty much with my watch. My house has a smart lock, so no house keys.

So the fob would be one more thing to remember. One more thing to lose.

I'm never not going to have my phone with me.

I too carry the fob - though I think it is because the house key is with it.
Old habits die hard (and slowly)

I carry the fob, it’s habit and I like this fob honestly 🤷‍♂️

I was looking at an AGT listing on Cars.com and saw this GT review posted below the listing. This GT is basically listed at cost.

3.3 out of 5 stars

Lucid not ready​

April 23, 2022
By Darryl from Scottsdale, AZ
Used to own this car
Just bought this car. It is not ready for prime time and not any kind of upgrade from current EV's. The driving is good and comfortable but the electronics are terrible. I am returning the car due to what I consider false advertising and not completed product. The car does not lock itself when leaving. The key fob does not open the trunk or frunk. The self drive feature is about 10 years outdated and nearly impossible to activate. The radio randomly quits working. The settings for the steering, seats, side mirrors etc. are overly complicated. All in all, many will be very dissatisfied in how far behind current technology the Lucid is. Don't waste your money.
Rating breakdown (out of 5):
  • Comfort4.0
  • Interior design2.0
  • Performance4.0
  • Value for the money1.0
  • Exterior
Although I personally don’t experience any of the issues listed here (except fob not opening trunk), I believe this individual’s experience with his car as all these issues have been reported here and there on this forum. But with latest software, I do think they are now very minority issues.

I’m in the camp of loving the car and excited for it to get better. I’m not interested in having more physical buttons adjusting positioning of seat, wheel, or mirrors - do this once, get it right, save it to profile, and never do it again.

That being said, I can relate to the frustrations like we probably all can by now. Like @imran, I would’ve been pretty embarrassed if my car died suddenly while trying to demo it. When I first got it, I tried to demo it to a friend and the passenger massage seats didn’t activate and the auto park tried to regular park into a parallel spot lol (I’ve since learned how to use those features better - part of a successful demo of this car relies on the skill and experience of the demo’er!). I also got completely locked into my car one night when it went completely dead while I was sitting in it in my garage and nothing would bring it back to life (had my phone and fob on me in the car, both unable to do anything). Even the manual trigger release on the door was stuck until I pulled at it furiously for quite a long time and managed to somehow force it open, which then triggered the car alarm to go nuts haha. Imagine demoing your car and locking yourself and your passenger into it as it dies - luckily it was just me in the car that time. I don’t know exactly how I got locked in, but I think it was self-induced as I was deleting my Bluetooth profiles and trying to re-establish them when it happened. I was just surprised that even the fob couldn’t get me out.

Anyways TL;DR - great car, software needs improvement, happy nonetheless.

It takes ctrl-alt-delete to a whole new level of bloody awkward

Definitely room for improvement on the sw.

I’m lucky I’ve had one issue that required a reset (gps stopped) … and I had saved the instructions so it was a reasonably painless “fix” despite being 9pm an hour into a 1000 road trip
Agree that the reset procedure(s) is/are ridiculous. I can’t imagine the thought process and think tank that went into making this decision.

My Tesla didn't even come with a fob. I've had very few issues just using the phone, with the key card as a backup in my wallet.

My entire goal in life is to be able to walk around with just my phone. I can't wait to put my driver's license in there when that becomes available. I pay for everything pretty much with my watch. My house has a smart lock, so no house keys.

So the fob would be one more thing to remember. One more thing to lose.

I'm never not going to have my phone with me.
Don't they make cases to hold a card or two? Lol your future is now!

The BMW i8 was not BMW’s first car so everything in that car came from decades of learning and improving so you can’t compare.

Don’t be an early adopter if you’re not prepared to deal with issues.
I agree, should have purchased a Tesla if you were not willing to go on the early adopter journey.

After owning Audi's for the past 10+ years on some of the models they had poor key fob design where buttons would be pressed when in your pocket. You'd sometimes come out to discover that your trunk was open etc. So when the option to not have to carry a fob is an option for me on the Lucid I chose to just leave it at home. I do carry the card in my wallet as a backup though in case something happens to my phone. As @joec states, I don't need to carry keys around as everything in my house (cameras, locks, etc.) are all controlled via proximity, pins or smartphone.

Just reading this and the other issues being mentioned on this forum makes you want to stay away from Lucid. What good is a potential great car if software is not great too? It has to at least come close to working and fixing quickly on a $100k car. And tired of hearing it is a new auto startup, so is Rivian and they are getting it right. Being small means you should be more nimble and should be able to get it right.

EV market is getting very competitive and startup companies won’t be able to survive with mistake after mistake when the legacy carmakers are intoducing EV’s too and their software will work.
I also have a Rivian on order and follow those forums closely as well. Im not sure where you heard that they are “getting it right”, because Rivian’s software problems dwarf Lucid’s.

Although I personally don’t experience any of the issues listed here (except fob not opening trunk), I believe this individual’s experience with his car as all these issues have been reported here and there on this forum. But with latest software, I do think they are now very minority issues.
The reason I don’t believe the post is he’s complaining about the self driving software not being good when it doesn’t have self driving software yet, and complaining about the Fob not opening the trunk when every owner should know that’s not a feature the Fob has, and unless his car is flat out broken it should open the Frunk. I guess maybe he just looked at the website, bought the car, and made no further effort to learn anything about the vehicle? That’s the impression I get if he doesn’t know how to get the fob to open the Frunk.

Your experience of getting locked in sucks though! That happened to a couple Tesla owning co-workers of mine also. The software complaints are mostly legit and require fixing, totally agree. I just don’t understand the “don’t buy this car everything is broken they lied to us!” crowd. That being said if the car bricked itself and I couldn’t get my 14 month old out of the back seat I might be singing a different tune, but the emergency open feature as detailed in the manual should work.

Last edited:
I always carry the fob.

I also have a Rivian on order and follow those forums closely as well. Im not sure where you heard that they are “getting it right”, because Rivian’s software problems dwarf Lucid’s.
Our Rivian was delivered on 5/11. It is sitting in the garage next to the Lucid. Everything on the Rivian has been working as intended so far. Using just the iPhone as a key the Rivian wakes up first. If I carry the fob with me the Lucid wakes up within a second or two ahead of the Rivian.

can you link to that? I'm curious which forum is the most active

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back