Tired of Poor Quality software

Status
Not open for further replies.
The joys of owning a brand new first-time-to-market car. It cannot be worse than the Fisker Karma I had. That was horrible, heated seats wouldn't work half the time. The software was in dark mode and I could go on and on. This happens at the beginning.

Rule 1: never buy a feature they promise to deliver (example FSD Tesla). How many FSD buyers bought early on and NEVER got to use it.

Would DDP stick with the car or you? I would guess the car.
Is there a good feedback network internally? That's key, a way to report issues and give feedback. I think Lucid wants to focus on customer experience.
I manage to keep my 2012 Karma running for several years mostly due to a factory trained mechanic that supported the Fisker club members for several years post bankruptcy.

I agree. in addition the controls on the side of the seat are just like every single other car out there.

no mention of range / efficiency
"self drive" ... I assume it is cruise control ... don't understand how this can be "hard to activate" --- let alone cruise control is not, and never tried to be "self drive"
The seat on most high end cars moves back when the door is in the open position to make getting in and out of the car easier.

Sad but not that far from the truth.

Second that. Both my family and my cousin did the test drive & examed the car, and came to the same conclusion: the software is so far behind. After 2 months of owning the car, my neighbor concluded the same: a fantastic piece of hardware, but totally clunky software. And we are all SOFTWARE people so we know what we're talking about.

Hardware-wise, Lucid is much ahead of Tesla. But in term of software, Tesla is like iOS, while Lucid is more like Symbian, the smart-OS from ...Nokia (in case anyone still remembers).

Sadly, when we complained about the lackluster software to Lucid's people, they were totally in denial and kept bringing up MotorTrend COTY among other trophies ...

We will delay receiving the car as long as we can ... Hopefully Lucid comes to terms to accept that they need a big jolt to their crappy SW

I went on to check who is responsible. This VP has good pedigree of Intel, Apple; but c’mon. She also made good $ from Silicon start up. I hope she has skin in this game as current bear market tank.
I'm sure her team has generated a long list of bugs for the dev group to fix. But operations isn't going to halt car shipments because of flaky software.

I was looking at an AGT listing on Cars.com and saw this GT review posted below the listing. This GT is basically listed at cost.

3.3 out of 5 stars

Lucid not ready​

April 23, 2022
By Darryl from Scottsdale, AZ
Used to own this car
Just bought this car. It is not ready for prime time and not any kind of upgrade from current EV's. The driving is good and comfortable but the electronics are terrible. I am returning the car due to what I consider false advertising and not completed product. The car does not lock itself when leaving. The key fob does not open the trunk or frunk. The self drive feature is about 10 years outdated and nearly impossible to activate. The radio randomly quits working. The settings for the steering, seats, side mirrors etc. are overly complicated. All in all, many will be very dissatisfied in how far behind current technology the Lucid is. Don't waste your money.
Rating breakdown (out of 5):
  • Comfort4.0
  • Interior design2.0
  • Performance4.0
  • Value for the money1.0
  • Exterior styling5.0
  • Reliability5.0
My car does ALL of the things correctly that he claims his does not. Locks itself every time, Fob opens Frunk (does not open trunk but it’s not supposed to!), the self drive feature isn’t available yet stupid, so that’s why it’s impossible to activate (and 10 years outdated, how does he know that if he can’t activate it when it’s not available???).

🤦‍♂️

Sigh...feels like we have this argument/discussion every day. This thread. Other threads. Something gets posted. Everyone jumps in to dispute it or confirm it. Things die down. Then someone starts it up all over again. The main thrust seems to be one camp loves the drive and/or doesn't really use new car software that much and the other camp feels like it is horrible and overshadows anything good about the car. There is likely a third group that wants the software to improve (or more often wants things added that are not there yet) but is ok to sort of ok waiting.

In the end though, until they release a new update, we're just regurgitating the same thing over and over again. I love the board for the varied topics we cover. But when we keep covering the same thing, it's a lot to read through. I guess I should just mark this one is always read and move on. But it will come up in other threads as well. If there is something new to bring, by all means bring it. But absent a new release, I haven't seen it.

An updated iPhone app was released just now, says:
- Improved the user experience for when the app is unable to connect to the vehicle
- Fixed an issue with the width of the roads in the Map
- Updated the user manual for the mobile charging cable (English and French)
- Fixed an issue where the vehicle status and corresponding label were mismatched
- Other minor bug fixes and enhancements

Sigh...feels like we have this argument/discussion every day. This thread. Other threads. Something gets posted. Everyone jumps in to dispute it or confirm it. Things die down. Then someone starts it up all over again.

Yeah good observation. I’m in the “I can live with it but hope it’s not like that forever” camp. I think some of us got spoiled by the quick pace they were rolling out software updates, which literally no other automaker does aside from Tesla and they don’t as much now (because their software has a 12 year head start). What I don’t doubt is that Lucid is likely working on most of the things we mentioned, so that’s ok with me for now. Honestly I’m just amazed Alexa works better in the Lucid than it does on my Amazon FireCube, and relieved they fixed the door handle issues because that was the one thing that was bugging me when I played with the pre-production car in the NYC studio. Something like that would have driven me crazy but luckily 1.2.1 on my car works fine for door handles.

An update on this thread. Today I was giving a demo of the car to one of my closest friends who was considering buying it after hearing me rave about the interior cabin, pickup, drive quality etc. unfortunately the car juts FROZE once we both sat in the car. The massage worked but the music refused to and then the car would NOT move out from park no matter what I did!! After 10 mins of exiting the car, trying to lock and unlock it, it somehow decided to reboot itself and then started working.
Have never been so embarrassed to show a car. And for Hydob and other defenders in this thread, juts because it’s a new car is no excuse. I was one of the first ppl to buy the BMW i8 which was a revolutionary plug in Concept when it first came out. No issues ever with software. Now I’ll have tk think these before giving anyone else a demo of this car!!
I do agree that the ride quality, pickup, range etc are great! But please stop defending the ATROCIOUS quality of the software that powers this car!! It’s just NOT acceptable for $150k+ car!

An update on this thread. Today I was giving a demo of the car to one of my closest friends who was considering buying it after hearing me rave about the interior cabin, pickup, drive quality etc. unfortunately the car juts FROZE once we both sat in the car. The massage worked but the music refused to and then the car would NOT move out from park no matter what I did!! After 10 mins of exiting the car, trying to lock and unlock it, it somehow decided to reboot itself and then started working.
Have never been so embarrassed to show a car. And for Hydob and other defenders in this thread, juts because it’s a new car is no excuse. I was one of the first ppl to buy the BMW i8 which was a revolutionary plug in Concept when it first came out. No issues ever with software. Now I’ll have tk think these before giving anyone else a demo of this car!!
I do agree that the ride quality, pickup, range etc are great! But please stop defending the ATROCIOUS quality of the software that powers this car!! It’s just NOT acceptable for $150k+ car!
The BMW i8 was not BMW’s first car so everything in that car came from decades of learning and improving so you can’t compare.

Don’t be an early adopter if you’re not prepared to deal with issues.

You sound upset; nothing to be embarrassed about. I can understand how that would be frustrating; it’s happened to me once or twice as well.

But, and this is important: you *know* the software needs work. So familiarize yourself with the two reset mechanisms, one of which can be done while still inside the car, and accept that sometimes bugs will happen, until they are a seasoned manufacturer.

The BMW i8 ran BMWs standard software. A better comparison would be the original Tesla roadster, whose software was *hot garbage*; I know because I drove one.

Yeah that would fall into “epic fail” territory. I don’t mean to come across as defending software problems. I guess I’m just not particularly worried or surprised about it because of it being version 1.0 of a vehicle and car manufacturer and I also don’t doubt that Lucid intends to make the software experience much better and is working on it as we type.

Yeah that would fall into “epic fail” territory. I don’t mean to come across as defending software problems. I guess I’m just not particularly worried or surprised about it because of it being version 1.0 of a vehicle and car manufacturer and I also don’t doubt that Lucid intends to make the software experience much better and is working on it as we type.
Agreed wholeheartedly.

You sound upset; nothing to be embarrassed about. I can understand how that would be frustrating; it’s happened to me once or twice as well.

But, and this is important: you *know* the software needs work. So familiarize yourself with the two reset mechanisms, one of which can be done while still inside the car, and accept that sometimes bugs will happen, until they are a seasoned manufacturer.

The BMW i8 ran BMWs standard software. A better comparison would be the original Tesla roadster, whose software was *hot garbage*; I know because I drove one.
What are the 2 reset mechanisms ? Wish I knew them, you’re right they would come in very handy!!

What are the 2 reset mechanisms ? Wish I knew them, you’re right they would come in very handy!!
Reset mechanism 1:
1) step out of car
2) lock twice with fob so the horn honks
3) walk 20-30 feet away for 60-90 seconds
4) come back and unlock car.

Reset mechanism 2 (and the one I usually use, since you don’t have to leave the car):
1) turn on the turn signal left or right
2) open the door
3) close the door
4) lock the car
5) wait for signal to stop
6) unlock car
7) open door and pretend to get in

I agree they are annoying reset mechanisms, but they do work!

I was looking at an AGT listing on Cars.com and saw this GT review posted below the listing. This GT is basically listed at cost.

3.3 out of 5 stars

Lucid not ready​

April 23, 2022
By Darryl from Scottsdale, AZ
Used to own this car
Just bought this car. It is not ready for prime time and not any kind of upgrade from current EV's. The driving is good and comfortable but the electronics are terrible. I am returning the car due to what I consider false advertising and not completed product. The car does not lock itself when leaving. The key fob does not open the trunk or frunk. The self drive feature is about 10 years outdated and nearly impossible to activate. The radio randomly quits working. The settings for the steering, seats, side mirrors etc. are overly complicated. All in all, many will be very dissatisfied in how far behind current technology the Lucid is. Don't waste your money.
Rating breakdown (out of 5):
  • Comfort4.0
  • Interior design2.0
  • Performance4.0
  • Value for the money1.0
  • Exterior styling5.0
  • Reliability5.0
Just reading this and the other issues being mentioned on this forum makes you want to stay away from Lucid. What good is a potential great car if software is not great too? It has to at least come close to working and fixing quickly on a $100k car. And tired of hearing it is a new auto startup, so is Rivian and they are getting it right. Being small means you should be more nimble and should be able to get it right.

EV market is getting very competitive and startup companies won’t be able to survive with mistake after mistake when the legacy carmakers are intoducing EV’s too and their software will work.

Just reading this and the other issues being mentioned on this forum makes you want to stay away from Lucid. What good is a potential great car if software is not great too? It has to at least come close to working and fixing quickly on a $100k car. And tired of hearing it is a new auto startup, so is Rivian and they are getting it right. Being small means you should be more nimble and should be able to get it right.

EV market is getting very competitive and startup companies won’t be able to survive with mistake after mistake when the legacy carmakers are intoducing EV’s too and their software will work.
Rivian just had hardware recall for restraint system safety failure. Their R1T has to return to service center, that is more annoying. KIA EV6 has hardware recall to bring all in bc cars has phantom sliding movement after park. Tesla over the years have tons of recalls and update. My friend let me drive his 2012 Model S in earlier days, there are some parts of infotainment screen did not responsive. Btw, Tesla Motor is now 19 years old company. All these softwares I’ve seen are just minor bugs that can be easily fixed and lacking of Apple CarPlay is just matter of time.

Last edited:
Reset mechanism 1:
1) step out of car
2) lock twice with fob so the horn honks
3) walk 20-30 feet away for 60-90 seconds
4) come back and unlock car.

Reset mechanism 2 (and the one I usually use, since you don’t have to leave the car):
2) open the door
3) close the door
4) lock the car
6) unlock car

I saved this...thanks @borski

Is there a tips thread or things you need to know?

I like to educate myself on the car.

2) open the door
3) close the door
4) lock the car
6) unlock car

Did this work even if your car is completely frozen?

new auto startup, so is Rivian and they are getting it right. Being small means you should be more nimble and should be able to get it right.
There’s also the Rivians that customers are getting with doors misaligned and they’re having a ton of issues with factory applied PPF having orange peel, bubbles, etc.

I’m very skeptical of that review above too as that person doesn’t sound like they actually own the car because they’re complaining about features that actually aren’t enabled yet, which any Lucid owner should know. Plus the 1.2.1 update from before that post fixed the proximity unlock. The car absolutely locks itself when you walk away, and he’s also complaining about the key fob not opening the Frunk when it does (just press and hold) and not opening the Trunk when that’s in fact not a feature of the fob and 100% of actual Lucid owners would know that because the DA tells you that. You can use Siri to open the trunk (it’s in the app), you can use the app to open the trunk, or just use your hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back