Tired of Poor Quality software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'll take the bait, @hydbob.
First of all, I'm kind of a low-tech guy so I haven't used the majority of all the app operations discussed on the forum. Therefore, I can only comment on the bread-and-aspects of my wife's EQS.
When walking within 10, 15 feet (haven't measured the exact distance), the car wakes up every time, door knobs coming out, etc. Get into the car, press the start button, and off we go. Mirror-folding, dashcam, pre-entry climate control, FM radio work. Trunk opens on command.
But this is not to say that the EQS is perfect. A fellow EQS just yesterday bricked his car on the freeway. Apparently, the rear motor just stopped working. Fortunately no rear ending for him. And it took "4 hours" to load it on a flatbed, with several different tow trucks involved (the procedure required by MB is just too complicated)
Our own car had a critical message on the 12V battery when its was at the shop for PPF. And today, I think the TPMS calibration is off, giving me warning despite perfect measurement with my trusted gauge.
And there is no sentry mode or level 3 driving now or the future. MB does not upgrade features like Tesla or Lucid, even though the hardware is there.
MB is like Ford, what you see is what you get. Tesla and Lucid surprise you with updates and interface change. I don’t mind Lucid update slow (7 weeks already is what I heard from last update). I got mine AGT 4 weeks ago. Please give us some announcement and time-line of what is coming on deck to get us excited about.

I don’t mind software features is limited. I have the best powertrain/handling/comfort on the streets. I’m a just very happy camper even with basic software of this fun to drive car. 😆

Last edited:
TRUST ME! Ford is even worse! This decades old company’s software has 10x lag of Lucid Air. I brought it back to dealer, they told me they don’t have OTA Update and it would takes $1500 for them to update or tweak my 2019 F-250 Infotainment lag, or I can risk with factory reset myself by accepting disclaimer of total blackout possibility. Therefore, I look forward for CyberTruck and not best-selling American vehicle going electric —— F-150 Lightning.
So, because Ford has bad software, Lucid can too? No, they need to do I better job.

So, because Ford has bad software, Lucid can too? No, they need to do I better job.
Oh yeah….

I went on to check who is responsible. This VP has good pedigree of Intel, Apple; but c’mon. She also made good $ from Silicon start up. I hope she has skin in this game as current bear market tank.
625CA678-ADBC-486D-A825-E8C89E204827.png

Ok, I'll take the bait, @hydbob.
First of all, I'm kind of a low-tech guy so I haven't used the majority of all the app operations discussed on the forum. Therefore, I can only comment on the bread-and-aspects of my wife's EQS.
When walking within 10, 15 feet (haven't measured the exact distance), the car wakes up every time, door knobs coming out, etc. Get into the car, press the start button, and off we go. Mirror-folding, dashcam, pre-entry climate control, FM radio work. Trunk opens on command.
But this is not to say that the EQS is perfect. A fellow EQS just yesterday bricked his car on the freeway. Apparently, the rear motor just stopped working. Fortunately no rear ending for him. And it took "4 hours" to load it on a flatbed, with several different tow trucks involved (the procedure required by MB is just too complicated)
Our own car had a critical message on the 12V battery when its was at the shop for PPF. And today, I think the TPMS calibration is off, giving me warning despite perfect measurement with my trusted gauge.
And there is no sentry mode or level 3 driving now or the future. MB does not upgrade features like Tesla or Lucid, even though the hardware is there.
When 10 to 15 feet from my Lucid, the same thing you're describing occurs. Not to be nit-picky @EVCar but you don't have a Lucid yet, so taking the bait seems a little bit premature. Sure, you may have issues once (if) you get one, but for the time being it seems a little ahead of the curve to comment on the software.

I wonder if she drives a Lucid as her daily driver......

Bijan Eghtesadi​

Infotainment software quality at Lucid Motors​

From Linked In. He has only been with Lucid for 5 months. If you follow the connections, a lot of the people seem qualified but haven't been there long enough to have developed a new car's software from scratch.

Maybe the current group is doing cleanup?

I was looking at an AGT listing on Cars.com and saw this GT review posted below the listing. This GT is basically listed at cost.

3.3 out of 5 stars

Lucid not ready​

April 23, 2022
By Darryl from Scottsdale, AZ
Used to own this car
Just bought this car. It is not ready for prime time and not any kind of upgrade from current EV's. The driving is good and comfortable but the electronics are terrible. I am returning the car due to what I consider false advertising and not completed product. The car does not lock itself when leaving. The key fob does not open the trunk or frunk. The self drive feature is about 10 years outdated and nearly impossible to activate. The radio randomly quits working. The settings for the steering, seats, side mirrors etc. are overly complicated. All in all, many will be very dissatisfied in how far behind current technology the Lucid is. Don't waste your money.
Rating breakdown (out of 5):
  • Comfort4.0
  • Interior design2.0
  • Performance4.0
  • Value for the money1.0
  • Exterior styling5.0
  • Reliability5.0

Sad but not that far from the truth.

Being an early Tesla adapter I was giving Lucid time to get their act together, being a "new car company" and all that. Now that the Rivian R1T arrived, also from a "new car company"and everything works upon arrival, I am starting to think that the few Lucid updates making things a "little better" is not enough. Lucid needs to deliver a major update soon.

It does lean toward a major architecture change ( as mentioned in other threads - going from a virtual machine to a direct OS) rather than make incremental updates to the current architecture.

Six weeks without anything pushed out is a long time given the large number of issues they need to address.

I was looking at an AGT listing on Cars.com and saw this GT review posted below the listing. This GT is basically listed at cost.

3.3 out of 5 stars

Lucid not ready​

April 23, 2022
By Darryl from Scottsdale, AZ
Used to own this car
Just bought this car. It is not ready for prime time and not any kind of upgrade from current EV's. The driving is good and comfortable but the electronics are terrible. I am returning the car due to what I consider false advertising and not completed product. The car does not lock itself when leaving. The key fob does not open the trunk or frunk. The self drive feature is about 10 years outdated and nearly impossible to activate. The radio randomly quits working. The settings for the steering, seats, side mirrors etc. are overly complicated. All in all, many will be very dissatisfied in how far behind current technology the Lucid is. Don't waste your money.
Rating breakdown (out of 5):
  • Comfort4.0
  • Interior design2.0
  • Performance4.0
  • Value for the money1.0
  • Exterior styling5.0
  • Reliability5.0
Lol, sounds like this is the very first EV this guy ever owned. Some stuff yes, other stuff no way. Settings for seats overly complicated and mirrors? There's a picture of the seat and what controls what for Pete's sake.

Bijan Eghtesadi​

Infotainment software quality at Lucid Motors​

From Linked In. He has only been with Lucid for 5 months. If you follow the connections, a lot of the people seem qualified but haven't been there long enough to have developed a new car's software from scratch.

Maybe the current group is doing cleanup?
I hope they do clean up the current software quickly for those current owners!

As a total aside I do have a little bit of a conjecture / theory that is totally made up in my head so take it for what it is worth.
We have heard the rumors about Apple in talks with Lucid but don't really know what the talks are about ( I think a buyout is very unlikely) .

We know Apple is working on a car and it could certainly make sense for Lucid to produce it for them . However, what about the software side? Lucid's software is based on Android Automotive as we know. Apparently Apple is working on " IronHeart" to expand CarPlay and make it essentially serve the same purpose as Android Automotive. So what if Lucid and Apple were working on some sort of synergy on this level? Not saying that Apple would take over the code for Lucid but that Apple would work with Lucid as a launch customer for their expanded CarPlay platform and Lucid Programmers would have priority access to Apple programmers and beta software. Totally made up in my mind but I think it makes sense.

Lol, sounds like this is the very first EV this guy ever owned. Some stuff yes, other stuff no way. Settings for seats overly complicated and mirrors? There's a picture of the seat and what controls what for Pete's sake.
I don't know. I've had two Tesla model S cars and I'm pretty close to feeling the way Darryl from Scottsdale feels. The car drives very well (and I appreicate this fact and don't discount its importance). But so much else just feels off on the car. The fit and finish aren't great (my car squeaks virtually non stop, when I took the car to get ppf and ceramic coating, they told me they found a hand print in the paint as they were prepping the car, and the panels on the rear of the car aren't in alignment). The software is very frustrating (I just want a button to fold in my mirrors when I pull into the garage and have that button work reliably and the audio constantly turns on and off). If I spent $75,000 on the car, I don't think I'd find these things upsetting. But at the price they are charging, they just have to get the basics right. I sure hope they get this stuff ironed out as I want the company to succeed.

Using the picture on a screen is not as easy as physical buttons. This is not an EV issue its just good cabin engineering. The Mercedes EQS has physical buttons for seat, steering wheel, mirrors and HomeLink. Far faster and easier to use. Just because Tesla does something stupid doesn't give Lucid a reason to do the same.

Using the picture on a screen is not as easy as physical buttons. This is not an EV issue its just good cabin engineering. The Mercedes EQS has physical buttons for seat, steering wheel, mirrors and HomeLink. Far faster and easier to use. Just because Tesla does something stupid doesn't give Lucid a reason to do the same.
True, but this was all a known thing prior to purchase. Some of the stuff was taking a flyer on (Dreamdrive specifically), but frunk operation, seats, steering wheel, mirror adjustments were all known prior to purchase. My point is you decided to purchase the car knowing that and still complain seems disingenuous. That is really the issue I have with some of these reviews is that, ESPECIALLY, for people who purchased a GT, there was really no surprises as to the car itself.

I hope they do clean up the current software quickly for those current owners!

As a total aside I do have a little bit of a conjecture / theory that is totally made up in my head so take it for what it is worth.
We have heard the rumors about Apple in talks with Lucid but don't really know what the talks are about ( I think a buyout is very unlikely) .

We know Apple is working on a car and it could certainly make sense for Lucid to produce it for them . However, what about the software side? Lucid's software is based on Android Automotive as we know. Apparently Apple is working on " IronHeart" to expand CarPlay and make it essentially serve the same purpose as Android Automotive. So what if Lucid and Apple were working on some sort of synergy on this level? Not saying that Apple would take over the code for Lucid but that Apple would work with Lucid as a launch customer for their expanded CarPlay platform and Lucid Programmers would have priority access to Apple programmers and beta software. Totally made up in my mind but I think it makes sense.

Hmmm… not sure Lucid would be enticing as a manufacturing partner until they are at a point they have demonstrated ability to manufacture at volume. As an engineering / design partner on the other hand…

The joys of owning a brand new first-time-to-market car. It cannot be worse than the Fisker Karma I had. That was horrible, heated seats wouldn't work half the time. The software was in dark mode and I could go on and on. This happens at the beginning.

Rule 1: never buy a feature they promise to deliver (example FSD Tesla). How many FSD buyers bought early on and NEVER got to use it.

Would DDP stick with the car or you? I would guess the car.
Is there a good feedback network internally? That's key, a way to report issues and give feedback. I think Lucid wants to focus on customer experience.

I fail to understand how people thought that this brand new company with a brand new, first to market car was going to get it right straight out the gate. Tesla now has a decade of manufacturing experience and if you’re comparing it to other companies then you’re taking decades to refine the car making process.

Yes, you can walk away from the car and it sometimes doesn’t lock but I could also walk away from my Audi and come back to an open trunk due to poor key fob design. So, is Lucid perfect? No! But cut them some slack when others have stupid mistakes that have been manufacturing cars for decades.

I agree. in addition the controls on the side of the seat are just like every single other car out there.

no mention of range / efficiency
"self drive" ... I assume it is cruise control ... don't understand how this can be "hard to activate" --- let alone cruise control is not, and never tried to be "self drive"

I've now had my Lucid AGT for 2 months and REALLy getting tired of the shoddy quality of the software! You have to hit the side mirrors button multiple times before it responds, the lucid app on the iPhone is forever "Waking up", same for the Apple Watch app, the Tidal app is incredibly buggy and the latest iteration won't even show the songs in a playlist etc etc. Not to mention that no Car Play in sight. I would tolerate this if this wasn't a $150K+ car AND every tom dick and harry from Hyundai's to Honda's to even GM cars dont have these kinds of software issues. Seriously ? Lucid's software engineers are SO much worse than anyone else in the industry ????

While the driving is fun, we interact with the software a lot more and they REALLY need to think about prioritizing their efforts!
Do you have issues with other touchscreens? I have always had a hard time getting touch screens to work for me, so sometimes I need to hit the screen a couple of times to get things to work, but for me it is not specific to the Lucid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back