Their Car Rolled Over 4 Times

I didn’t know the car could flip over. I wonder what the hell happened? So far every Lucid crash I’ve heard of the occupants were ok.

This is horrific! So glad everyone is alive and recovering. For a car that flipped over 4 times, it looks like the chassis and frame held up well.

Wow. I agree with @bunnylebowski. Given that all the weight of the car is in the floorpan, didn't think it would/could lift. My guess is the one side dug into soft ground, or hit an immovable object causing it to roll, at a very high speed, if the 4x is accurate. Happy that all occupants are alive, albeit battered pretty good. Looks like the glass roof took a beating but held, which gives me a bit of a pause being a taller driver with my head in close proximity.

Is it me, or does that car look purple? You have to really try flip over an EV with the CG so low. Looks like the vehicle did its job and saved his ass.

Wow. I agree with @bunnylebowski. Given that all the weight of the car is in the floorpan, didn't think it would/could lift. My guess is the one side dug into soft ground, or hit an immovable object causing it to roll, at a very high speed, if the 4x is accurate. Happy that all occupants are alive, albeit battered pretty good. Looks like the glass roof took a beating but held, which gives me a bit of a pause being a taller driver with my head in close proximity.
I’m not sure that it is any more dangerous than having your head in close proximity to a metal roof. Usually the metal on the roof of the car is extremely thin and flimsy.

It really looks like the car flipped over. There is crush injury at the top of the car windshield. Glad his head was safe! That dent is right where someone’s head would be.

I’m surprised to see his list of injuries from the crash where the car didn’t look that bad. I’ve seen some crashed tesla totally destroyed and the driver had a bruise and that’s about it.

I’m surprised to see his list of injuries from the crash where the car didn’t look that bad. I’ve seen some crashed tesla totally destroyed and the driver had a bruise and that’s about it.
The big difference is probably the 4X rolling. You can have a car squished and accordioned but the passenger cage fairly intact. It'll look really bad but not usually much for injuries.

The speed this car would've been going to flip 4 times and the rotational movement your body would go through would be pretty severe by comparison.

Lucid Air can be flipped that easily?! Now I'm concerned
To the contrary. Realllly certain that Lucid tried to do everything they could to flip it during crash testing and it wouldn’t.
There had to be some incredible speed, and that slope in the photo to make a true 4X flip..
Glad everyone is okay!

Agree with the above!
What stands out for me is the lack of distortion of the roof rails, despite having 5,500+ lbs landing on them repeatedly. Plus both the front doors opened and they didn’t have to use the ‘Jaws of Life’ to get the passengers out. Interested to know how the battery packs held up to the crash.
Looks like the crash engineering is very good, though it also looks like a front cross rail would help more than just providing a place to mount the sun visors.

Agree with the above!
What stands out for me is the lack of distortion of the roof rails, despite having 5,500+ lbs landing on them repeatedly. Plus both the front doors opened and they didn’t have to use the ‘Jaws of Life’ to get the passengers out. Interested to know how the battery packs held up to the crash.
Looks like the crash engineering is very good, though it also looks like a front cross rail would help more than just providing a place to mount the sun visors.
Yeah. That crush injury right where a front passenger’s head could be is concerning. I think I front cross rail or some other type of re-enforcement would be better. Maybe I should change my reservation to a full roof touring!

Lucid Air can be flipped that easily?! Now I'm concerned
In every crash test to date, to my knowledge, they were unable to flip the car. My guess is this was a very unusual circumstance, and that the car really saved his life.

For flipping four times, the car looks to be in better shape that I'd expect. The hood looks essentially undamaged and the back part of the glass roof seems intact. The picture quality isn't great so probably missing some damage.

Yeah. That crush injury right where a front passenger’s head could be is concerning. I think I front cross rail or some other type of re-enforcement would be better. Maybe I should change my reservation to a full roof touring!
It would be interesting to know how much the actual structural roof members change with the full roof design. Looking at the Pure design/order pages on the Lucid web site, the interior "photos" do not show any real changes to the B pillar or the addition of a cross beam to the A pillar.

I would also be good to get that vehicle back to Lucid to analyze what worked and if any improvements are needed.

Back