Software issues versus daily driving

Invest a little time learning what the car CAN/SHOULD BE ABLE TO do; decide what features you want to be bothered with; set them for your needs; then forget about all of the rest.

I'm an old head too, and will not be using the adaptive cruise control, self driving; self parking, Alexa, or the various audio streaming sources that can be accessed. I LOVE THE RIDE, so I want to DRIVE IT as much as I can while I can!! Enjoy.
Of course I have spent time, in vain, trying to get info on the different features on this car. That’s why I’m here! - damn, CS doesn’t have the answers either, so how else am I supposed to inform myself? Answers are not available in the “manual”. I can’t even locate notes on updates.

Of course I have spent time, in vain, trying to get info on the different features on this car. That’s why I’m here! - damn, CS doesn’t have the answers either, so how else am I supposed to inform myself? Answers are not available in the “manual”. I can’t even locate notes on updates.
What’s a manual?

My expectations for this car were not vs a Tesla, but vs other luxury sports cars in this price range. Customer care and service have been awesome. Performance, range, and driving, I love the car. The software is improved from 1.0.4, but still has a long way to go. I make many compromises in my expectations so I can enjoy the car. Boot time is excessively long, lock/unlock is inconsistent to be kind (with the key fob in your pocket), preferences for lock/unlock don't exist, Homelink implementation is awful, Cameras / park distance get a D in my grade book. Audio controls are virtually unusable while driving, Nav is not good, there is no way to "turn the car off", no comfort access. Lag when changing screens is still way too long. Common occurrences like returning to the car for a forgotten item confuse the proximity lock/unlock to no end. Standing next to your 185K car waiting for it to decide if it wants to unlock and then after waiting a "firm" to the full indent press of the handle still having no response, is beyond frustrating. I am waiting for the next update to try the mobile key again. So far the mobile key has been so bad its not worth the frustration. I use the fob which is less bad. If I press the handle when locked, unlock immediately. If I press an unlocked handle, lock immediately. Every time, first time, and immediately. That's not the bar to be a great luxury car, that's the bar to an entry level car from other manufacturers.
This is the attitude I hope to develop— quickly. You readily and accurately acknowledge many of these aggravating issues but retain logic and grace about it. The door locking on me over and over and over, and my profile completely disappearing (seats, mirrors, Bluetooth all are deleted) have me over the top nuts though.

This is the attitude I hope to develop— quickly. You readily and accurately acknowledge many of these aggravating issues but retain logic and grace about it. The door locking on me over and over and over, and my profile completely disappearing (seats, mirrors, Bluetooth all are deleted) have me over the top nuts though.
I think you are the first one to have issues with settings being changed all the time. I would definitely get CS to have a mobile tram check it out. What door lock over and over though? Can you describe that in more detail?

Like some others have said, your constellation of issues may be unique to your vehicle. Email your DA concurrent with Customer Care.

I think you are the first one to have issues with settings being changed all the time. I would definitely get CS to have a mobile tram check it out. What door lock over and over though? Can you describe that in more detail?
It’s hard to explain. Say I get out of the car and go to the back door to grab something in the back seat. The car has already locked — inside of a single second. I touch the handle - it won’t react. I pull my key fob out - it may or may not unlock— but it immediately (in a fraction of a second) relocks. This is repeated over and over, perhaps 3-4 times before I’m able to re-enter the car. I felt crazy trying to explain it to my husband… and then he experienced it too and whoa, talk about incredulous. I have stated here before, I cannot deal with making CS part of my family. I do not want to hear from them multiple times every day, so I’m taking a break and just living with these problems and hoping updates solve them.

It’s hard to explain. Say I get out of the car and go to the back door to grab something in the back seat. The car has already locked — inside of a single second. I touch the handle - it won’t react. I pull my key fob out - it may or may not unlock— but it immediately (in a fraction of a second) relocks. This is repeated over and over, perhaps 3-4 times before I’m able to re-enter the car. I felt crazy trying to explain it to my husband… and then he experienced it too and whoa, talk about incredulous. I have stated here before, I cannot deal with making CS part of my family. I do not want to hear from them multiple times every day, so I’m taking a break and just living with these problems and hoping updates solve them.
Are others experiencing this? This is not a minor problem since it's something many of us do multiple times a day (get out and open a rear door).

Well, that issue is not one I think anyone else here is experiencing either. I would definitely call CS and just lay out all the issues to them and get them all look at once. Is the key lock thing frequent?

Well, that issue is not one I think anyone else here is experiencing either. I would definitely call CS and just lay out all the issues to them and get them all look at once. Is the key lock thing frequent?

Yeah I have never seen this.

I’ve had the car since New Year’s Eve. This started happening about 3-4 weeks ago and its occurred about 8 times, so far. I believe someone else briefly described something like a “lock-unlock-lock thing”, which I took to possibly be the same issue. I mentioned this issue to CS and he asked me a few questions to rule out if I created the problem. Questions like, did I move more than 6 feet away from car, did I take more that “x” seconds before I went to the rear door, what time did this happen, where were you when it happened, where was the key, etc. I get they have to ask but at the same time I feel like they ask so many seemingly extraneous questions that I start wondering if they presume I’m not credible. I do know that’s not what’s going on, but after a while, in the moment, it doesn’t feel good. And It’s like this over and over with every issue - of which there are plenty.
I realize you didn’t ask for all this info but I think some people feel the way that I do and it helps to not feel alone and wonder why most of you guys are so much better at dealing with this stuff.

I’ve had the car since New Year’s Eve. This started happening about 3-4 weeks ago and its occurred about 8 times, so far. I believe someone else briefly described something like a “lock-unlock-lock thing”, which I took to possibly be the same issue. I mentioned this issue to CS and he asked me a few questions to rule out if I created the problem. Questions like, did I move more than 6 feet away from car, did I take more that “x” seconds before I went to the rear door, what time did this happen, where were you when it happened, where was the key, etc. I get they have to ask but at the same time I feel like they ask so many seemingly extraneous questions that I start wondering if they presume I’m not credible. I do know that’s not what’s going on, but after a while, in the moment, it doesn’t feel good. And It’s like this over and over with every issue - of which there are plenty.
I realize you didn’t ask for all this info but I think some people feel the way that I do and it helps to not feel alone and wonder why most of you guys are so much better at dealing with this stuff.
I won't speak for everyone, but for me personally, I see it as even though the questions might feel like they are questioning your credibility, talking to some of the engineers and service guys, it's really just to create the clearest picture possible and possibly being able to recreate the issue at hand. I try and remember that this is their first car with thousands of parts, millions of lines of code, and they are trying their best to get it all done properly and the more information they have as to why a problem occurred, the better it is for them to solve the problem.

I've experienced something like it. When my car was delivered back to me after the CCV module was replaced, the service tech advised me to use only the mobile key with the car and to leave the key fob at home (except when needed for a valet). For a couple of days I tried to rely on the mobile key to open the car. Sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't. When the doors didn't open automatically upon approach, I'd press them in to get them to extend. They would extend for such a brief moment that I didn't even have time to grab them most of the time. Even when I could, they just retracted against my pulling. It's why I now have returned to using the key fob every time I go somewhere.

Remember that one of the NACOTY judges wrote in the "Detroit Free Press" that the main reason he could not vote the Lucid Car of the Year was its software problems? He specifically highlighted this exact same problem with door handles behaving as if possessed when judges were trying to get into the cars.

I was hoping Lucid would have addressed this in the ensuing couple of months, but it seems they haven't yet.

I've experienced something like it. When my car was delivered back to me after the CCV module was replaced, the service tech advised me to use only the mobile key with the car and to leave the key fob at home (except when needed for a valet). For a couple of days I tried to rely on the mobile key to open the car. Sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't. When the doors didn't open automatically upon approach, I'd press them in to get them to extend. They would extend for such a brief moment that I didn't even have time to grab them most of the time. Even when I could, they just retracted against my pulling. It's why I now have returned to using the key fob every time I go somewhere.

Remember that one of the NACOTY judges wrote in the "Detroit Free Press" that the main reason he could not vote the Lucid Car of the Year was its software problems? He specifically highlighted this exact same problem with door handles behaving as if possessed when judges were trying to get into the cars.

I was hoping Lucid would have addressed this in the ensuing couple of months, but it seems they haven't yet.
When the handles extend for that brief moment and then retract back it's because the car doesn't detect a key and locks itself back. You can replicate this by pushing the handle in without any keys.

Great information, thank you for sharing .

When the handles extend for that brief moment and then retract back it's because the car doesn't detect a key and locks itself back. You can replicate this by pushing the handle in without any keys.

True, which leaves the question of why is the car so erratic in detecting the proximity of the mobile key this long after judges for the NACOTY were having troubles getting the doors open?

It would seem that being able to get into the car consistently would be given higher priority than rolling out DreamDrive features.

True, which leaves the question of why is the car so erratic in detecting the proximity of the mobile key this long after judges for the NACOTY were having troubles getting the doors open?

It would seem that being able to get into the car consistently would be given higher priority than rolling out DreamDrive features.
To be fair, I've never seen that behavior using the key fob

This is with version 1.1.7: I tried an experiment and left the mobile app and key fob far from the car. When pressing the door handles they stayed stuck in - they didn't pop back out.

When approaching the car with just the mobile app (which currently does not seem to want to unlock the car), pushing the handle in will cause it to pop out and back in (it does this on all doors). So it's definitely detecting something with the mobile app present - just not unlocking. Sometime after repeatedly doing this, the car will pop the handle out and have it stay there. It sometimes unfolds the mirrors or other times, I need to open the door for them to unfold. In the previous version I had (1.1.11), with the mobile app, the car would wake up and turn on the welcome lights, unfold the mirrors and present the handles. most of the time. When it didn't do this, I could still press the handle to unlock the car.

This behavior is not like when I having the key fob with me, which most of the time will turn on the welcome lights, unfold the mirrors and present the handles. Sometimes, approaching with the key fob, it does nothing. At those time, the handle will sometimes pop out when pushed in and other times, I have to to double clicking the key fob.

They really need to fix this. I’d hate for it to happen on a bitterly cold night with friends along.

To be fair, I've never seen that behavior using the key fob

Neither have I. The problem, though, is that one does see the problem when using the mobile key (as Alex so well described) . . . and using the key fob instead of the mobile key blocks the facial recognition program from changing driver profiles to that of whomever gets behind the wheel. (The service tech told me that carrying both the phone and the key fob confuses the car, thus causing some features to become inaccessible. However, I have to carry the phone for other reasons so don't have the option of just carrying the key fob.)

So you have a choice:

1. carry the key fob to be sure you can get into the car, but lose other functionality that is provided only when using the mobile key, or

2. leave the key fob behind in order to retain other functionality, but carry the key card with you in case the mobile key won't open the car (which it often won't).

I will use DreamDrive very seldom and can wait a bit longer for those features to start arriving. But I need to get into the car every time I drive it. At this point I won't leave home without the key card, key fob, and mobile key (which I carry for other reasons) all on my person, as I don't have much confidence in any one thing giving me the access to the car that it is supposed to.

Neither have I. The problem, though, is that one does see the problem when using the mobile key (as Alex so well described) . . . and using the key fob instead of the mobile key blocks the facial recognition program from changing driver profiles to that of whomever gets behind the wheel. (The service tech told me that carrying both the phone and the key fob confuses the car, thus causing some features to become inaccessible. However, I have to carry the phone for other reasons so don't have the option of just carrying the key fob.)

So you have a choice:

1. carry the key fob to be sure you can get into the car, but lose other functionality that is provided only when using the mobile key, or

2. leave the key fob behind in order to retain other functionality, but carry the key card with you in case the mobile key won't open the car (which it often won't).

I will use DreamDrive very seldom and can wait a bit longer for those features to start arriving. But I need to get into the car every time I drive it. At this point I won't leave home without the key card, key fob, and mobile key (which I carry for other reasons) all on my person, as I don't have much confidence in any one thing giving me the access to the car that it is supposed to.
Why can't you just unlink your mobile key for now. Doesn't the app still work to unlock even if it isn't setup as a mobile key?

Back