Software issues versus daily driving

I am using the key fob, keeping it in my pocket. I only use it as a remote "button press" if all else fails. This happens much less often with 1.1.5. I have had occasions with 1.1.5 for unlock where proximity doesn't work, a handle press doesn't work, then a fob button press does work. The car always locks, it's sometimes when I am 6 feet away and sometimes I'm 60 feet away, or I wait and watch for some period of time from 60 feet away. Probably only 20 seconds or so from exiting the car, but it seems like an eternity. Pressing the door handle to lock or unlock is still a crap shoot for when it works or doesn't.

I still carry a valet card as a backup, but have not had to use that since 1.0.5.

Hi Bill
Thank you for your detailed synopsis of frustrating issues with the car. I am certainly nervous about everything I am hearing , but my experience will likely not be as negative as yours by the time I get my GT. I truly hope things improve for you and fairly quickly. From reading all of the early Dream Edition holders , I have made an exhaustive list of things to watch out for. Not that it is any solace , but you guys are basically testing a new complex product and it will undoubtedly result in dramatic improvements.

Hi Bill
Thank you for your detailed synopsis of frustrating issues with the car. I am certainly nervous about everything I am hearing , but my experience will likely not be as negative as yours by the time I get my GT. I truly hope things improve for you and fairly quickly. From reading all of the early Dream Edition holders , I have made an exhaustive list of things to watch out for. Not that it is any solace , but you guys are basically testing a new complex product and it will undoubtedly result in dramatic improvements.
I've read so much stuff on here I'm curious what your list has on it...

Hi Bill
I document all of these items I have concerns with and send them to Lucid. I drive the car daily. It really is a great drive. I'm looking forward to taking it on a long road trip on secondary roads that I think would be very difficult to do in any other EV. Will be interesting to see how it performs. No need for Homelink on the road.

I've read so much stuff on here I'm curious what your list has on it...
Just general gripes that I see being repeated including : difficulty with door openings, poor navigation system with lack of specifications for N, S, E, W, frustration with and or lack of adaptive cruise control, difficulty witb the audio system including lack of identification of stations and or artists, frustrations with getting in and out of the vehicle due to the A pillar, seats changing positions randomly, massage seats randomly turning off, general frustrations with Alexa, Android and lack of Apple car play , problems with parking assist / cameras , frustrations with screen lag time, reports of car randomly moving, etc.

None of these things are deal breakers. I am just trying to learn some common problems so I can rectify them quickly when I receive the car. I admit , I am intimidated by all the tech . I am just trying to learn as much as I can before I get the vehicle.

I document all of these items I have concerns with and send them to Lucid. I drive the car daily. It really is a great drive. I'm looking forward to taking it on a long road trip on secondary roads that I think would be very difficult to do in any other EV. Will be interesting to see how it performs. No need for Homelink on the road.
Absolutely, I think it will take me a month or 2 to get comfortable with it . I can’t even figure out how to use my microwave, so I have low expectations for quickly mastering the learning curve.

Looks like 1.1.7 is here for some of us. And the patch notes specifically address massage and door entry.

Looks like 1.1.7 is here for some of us. And the patch notes specifically address massage and door entry.
That sounds fantastic.
Never been much of a car enthusiast, until this vehicle came along, so I am pretty excited.

I am with @borski and would chose an Air over a navigator every time … because I don’t want a giant SUV.
Doesn’t feel like you are really comparing apples to apples.

Of course, you are spot on - “each to their own” - and if we all liked the same everybody would drive a Model T.
I am comparing the cabin ergonomics and ride quality and in both the Navigator is better, IMHO. I think that Lucid could have done a better job designing the Air's cabin features.

I am comparing the cabin ergonomics and ride quality and in both the Navigator is better, IMHO. I think that Lucid could have done a better job designing the Air's cabin features.
To each their own, I pretty much hate the ride and experience in every SUV I get in. Way too big and bulky

To each their own, I pretty much hate the ride and experience in every SUV I get in. Way too big and bulky

Same. And those that ride okay “float” too much for me - I like to feel the road, not pretend it doesn’t exist. :p

Personal preference strikes again

I am not trying to compare the size but the cabin experience, again just my opinion.

I will compare the 2022 Navigator, as it is (4) years newer than mine, to my Lucid DE. Here is what I like about the Navigator over the DE.
  1. Great HUD that integrates NAV data from the built-in NAV system or Android Auto
  2. Physical buttons to lock the doors, fold the mirrors and adjust the steering wheel and for HomeLink
  3. Less road noise
  4. Full Android Auto integration
  5. BlueCruise, Ford’s driver assist that is shipping now and works well
  6. SirrusXM radio
  7. Things that Lucid will fix:
    1. The Navigator adaptive cruise works and in over (4) years has never make the mistakes that my DE does
    2. The screens respond fast
I DO LOVE electric power and yes, I like SUVs, I have a Hummer Edition 1 SUV reservation, but to me, the DE is a disappointment as a daily driver.

I am not trying to compare the size but the cabin experience, again just my opinion.

I will compare the 2022 Navigator, as it is (4) years newer than mine, to my Lucid DE. Here is what I like about the Navigator over the DE.
  1. Great HUD that integrates NAV data from the built-in NAV system or Android Auto
  2. Physical buttons to lock the doors, fold the mirrors and adjust the steering wheel and for HomeLink
  3. Less road noise
  6. SirrusXM radio
    1. The Navigator adaptive cruise works and in over (4) years has never make the mistakes that my DE does
I DO LOVE electric power and yes, I like SUVs, I have a Hummer Edition 1 SUV reservation, but to me, the DE is a disappointment as a daily driver.
Most of these are short term and will hopefully be resolved soon:

1. HUD - A very Valid point. We have no HUD. I've only ever had HUD in an Audi E-Tron I had for a few months. Other than that, we have never had it. That said, the one in the EQS had me super excited. Its a shame very little of the EQS interior excited me, or I may have waited for that.
2. I can see wanting them, but meh
3. I hear very little if any road noise, I've never sat in a Ford or Lincoln that had less. I'm wondering if some seal is not correct on your car?
4. Hopefully will be resolved within the year
5. Hopefully will be resolved within the year
6. Meh, but can be added via OTA update. Any reason you prefer Sirius to any of the streaming services (Spotify, Amazon, Tidal all integrated)
7. Hopefully will be resolved within the year

3. Less road noise
  6. SirrusXM radio
Just for point 2 I have a question

Also, with regards to the HUD, is there a point with the way the instrument panel is laid out? It's practically at eye level already.
There are "buttons" or should I say always on screen real estate for locking/unlocking and mirror folding. Is that not sufficient? There actually 2 places to lock/unlock that are on all the time.

Hey, if you like the Lucid Air, then I am happy for you. I am just very disappointed and if I had driven one for over 20 min, would not have bought it.

It costs $169,000. More than a Tesla Plaid, Mercedes EQS and S Class. With Rawlinson’s pedigree, it could and should have been a “world beater”, not just “better than a Tesla” The drive train is good but Mercedes, Audi and BMW will catch up with motors and batteries and Tesla will redesign the Model S then Lucid will just have an “OK” car. The current software is just crap, BUT it will get better over the next year or so. For me, the thrill of 1111 HP is wearing off and I am left with a very expensive car that I just don’t like as well as I should.

“To each his own”

Hey, if you like the Lucid Air, then I am happy for you. I am just very disappointed and if I had driven one for over 20 min, would not have bought it.

It costs $169,000. More than a Tesla Plaid, Mercedes EQS and S Class. With Rawlinson’s pedigree, it could and should have been a “world beater”, not just “better than a Tesla” The drive train is good but Mercedes, Audi and BMW will catch up with motors and batteries and Tesla will redesign the Model S then Lucid will just have an “OK” car. The current software is just crap, BUT it will get better over the next year or so. For me, the thrill of 1111 HP is wearing off and I am left with a very expensive car that I just don’t like as well as I should.

“To each his own”
Why don't you just sell the crappy thing?

Just for point 2 I have a question

Also, with regards to the HUD, is there a point with the way the instrument panel is laid out? It's practically at eye level already.
There are "buttons" or should I say always on screen real estate for locking/unlocking and mirror folding. Is that not sufficient? There actually 2 places to lock/unlock that are on all the time.
When I put my hands at "10 and 2" on the steering wheel, parts of the display are blocked. My other two cars have HUDs and you get very accustomed to pertinent information being right in front of you. Cadillac even has an infrared night vision camera whose image is displayed in the HUD, and this is from GM!

Yes, there are buttons on the screen but there are certain functions that I think are better left to physical controls.

If you are happy with the controls then great. I am not. Nor do I like the Tesla Model 3 controls.

Why don't you just sell the crappy thing?
I never said that it was "crappy" just that I am disappointed. This is my personal preference on things that I don't like. I have an offer to sell it but am trying to give Lucid some time to fix the software and maybe “wow” me with new features.

I have around $190K invested in this car and love having a powerful EV drive train so its not an easy decision. Again, if you like your car that’s great. Don’t knock me because I am not thrilled with mine.

I never said that it was "crappy" just that I am disappointed. This is my personal preference on things that I don't like. I have an offer to sell it but am trying to give Lucid some time to fix the software and maybe “wow” me with new features.

I have around $190K invested in this car and love having a powerful EV drive train so its not an easy decision. Again, if you like your car that’s great. Don’t knock me because I am not thrilled with mine.
If I was that disappointed in a car it would have been gone a long time ago.

Back