Software issues versus daily driving

I’m still debating getting a set of 19 for the smoother and quieter ride. However: I love just flooring it and I’m guessing they will skid quite a bit doing that

Take it from another guy who loves flooring it - they do skid :) but the traction control does keep it very stable.

I did learn to only floor it on the 21s, though, after a few solid skids haha

I have noticed that some AWD vehicles behave a little like RWD when given throttle in a turn, inducing oversteer (my Jeep Grand Cherokee), and some behave like FWD, inducing understeer (my wife's Mazda CX-5). And some are pretty neutral (The Audi A4 i don't have anymore). Of course these characteristics are most noticeable on snow covered roads.
Can anyone comment on how the Air behaves?

Take it from another guy who loves flooring it - they do skid :) but the traction control does keep it very stable.

If you could only ever have one set, which would it be?

In my drive today I gave it the beans on both the 19’s and 21’s and didn’t find a huge difference for the AGT. The DE with another 311bhp though strikes me as a whole different kettle of fish :D

I have a general question for the group , and especially those who have received their vehicles. It seems software issues have become a frustration for a significant number of owners. Have the software problems significantly impacted the daily driving experience? Are the software issues now being addressed more efficiently?
I have a GT reserved and it gives me a bit of trepidation reading some of these discussions. Certainly plan on following through but probably should temper my expectations
Well, I’ve owned and enjoyed 3 Teslas. My Lucid is not making me happy. Door opening is SLOW, car seats move all on their own and my profile has been deleted, radio is very slow to turn on and doesn’t have basic ID of what you’re listening to, GPS doesn’t provide freeway directions (N,S,E,W). The car has begun to roll backwards if I take my foot off the brake. Some of these things may have controls to change or fix what is happening but I’d prefer they not just happen at all. If I don’t change the settings, I don’t want them jumping around all on their own. Basically, I’m bugged all the time. It’s a beautiful car and the ride is amazing but I’ve gotten too old to want to spend my time interacting with CS all the time. Other owners are more forgiving than me, so I think one ought to prepare themselves for annoying bugs and weigh your tolerance level for these seemingly ongoing inconveniences.

Last edited:
Well, I’ve owned and enjoyed 3 Teslas. My Lucid is not making me happy. Door opening is SLOW, car seats move all on their own and my profile has been deleted, radio is very slow to turn on and doesn’t have basic ID of what you’re listening to, GPS doesn’t provide freeway directions (N,S,E,W). The car has begun to roll backwards if I take my foot off the brake. Some of these things may have controls to change or fix what is happening but I’d prefer they not just happen at all. If I don’t change the settings, I don’t want them jumping around all on their own. Basically, I’m bugged all the time. It’s a beautiful car and the ride is amazing but I’ve gotten too old to want to spend my time interacting with CS all the time. Other owners are more forgiving than me, so I think one ought to prepare themselves for annoying bugs and weigh your tolerance level for these seemingly ongoing inconveniences.
I hear you. This will be my first total EV , so my expectations may be toned down a bit.
I hope they get a lot of the bugs fixed. All of you early DE owners have literally been testing the car on a daily basis , so I imagine it gets frustrating. It’s reassuring to hear you state how amazing the ride is, which is probably the most important thing to me initially. Thanks for your response.

If you could only ever have one set, which would it be?

The 21s, but I’d never take it out on super rainy or snowy roads, and would prepare myself (mentally, lol) for eventual wheel dents if I take it on a long road trip.

But I just can’t give up how well the 21s ride, so if I had to have only one set, it would be them and I’d get a different car for long (or wet) road trips.

Luckily - I can have the best of both worlds. :)

The 21s, but I’d never take it out on super rainy or snowy roads, and would prepare myself (mentally, lol) for eventual wheel dents if I take it on a long road trip.

But I just can’t give up how well the 21s ride, so if I had to have only one set, it would be them and I’d get a different car for long (or wet) road trips.

Why don't you just put all seasons on the 21?

Why don't you just put all seasons on the 21?

A combination of additional range and worries about roads I don’t trust not to have potholes that dent my gorgeous wheels. :)

Around the Bay Area, I have no reason to use all seasons, and I’ll keep the 21” on when I’m not planning cross-state road trips.

Based on one of the you tube videos a while back I believe the 21” Pirelli LM1 PZero tires did very well in the rain. These two guys were canyon driving in SoCal in the rain and really being very aggressive with launch control and taking the curves very fast and they commented how well it was handling on the wet roads!! I drove my Panamera with 21” wheels and wider lower profile tires for three years and no wheel dings at all. And I did hit some potholes on back roads.

Based on one of the you tube videos a while back I believe the 21” Pirelli LM1 PZero tires did very well in the rain. These two guys were canyon driving in SoCal in the rain and really being very aggressive with launch control and taking the curves very fast and they commented how well it was handling on the wet roads!! I drove my Panamera with 21” wheels and wider lower profile tires for three years and no wheel dings at all. And I did hit some potholes on back roads.

Well then maybe I’ll regret buying the 19s ‍♂️

For now, it’s fine this way. :)

Question for the group - Is there a fix for the crazy long time it takes to wake the car and unlock the doors via the app? My Plaid works very well just by phone being nearby, don’t have to open the app. Am I missing something?

Question for the group - Is there a fix for the crazy long time it takes to wake the car and unlock the doors via the app? My Plaid works very well just by phone being nearby, don’t have to open the app. Am I missing something?
For some reason the phone is the worst key to use, if it bothers you, it's better to use the key fob and that will shorten it quite a bit, otherwise, from what I can tell so far, the mobile key is the longest to recognize, it'll be easier to just push the door handle with your phone in pocket. And if you don't already, you need to have bluetooth on for it to pick it up as a mobile key.

Invest a little time learning what the car CAN/SHOULD BE ABLE TO do; decide what features you want to be bothered with; set them for your needs; then forget about all of the rest.

I'm an old head too, and will not be using the adaptive cruise control, self driving; self parking, Alexa, or the various audio streaming sources that can be accessed. I LOVE THE RIDE, so I want to DRIVE IT as much as I can while I can!! Enjoy.

My expectations for this car were not vs a Tesla, but vs other luxury sports cars in this price range. Customer care and service have been awesome. Performance, range, and driving, I love the car. The software is improved from 1.0.4, but still has a long way to go. I make many compromises in my expectations so I can enjoy the car. Boot time is excessively long, lock/unlock is inconsistent to be kind (with the key fob in your pocket), preferences for lock/unlock don't exist, Homelink implementation is awful, Cameras / park distance get a D in my grade book. Audio controls are virtually unusable while driving, Nav is not good, there is no way to "turn the car off", no comfort access. Lag when changing screens is still way too long. Common occurrences like returning to the car for a forgotten item confuse the proximity lock/unlock to no end. Standing next to your 185K car waiting for it to decide if it wants to unlock and then after waiting a "firm" to the full indent press of the handle still having no response, is beyond frustrating. I am waiting for the next update to try the mobile key again. So far the mobile key has been so bad its not worth the frustration. I use the fob which is less bad. If I press the handle when locked, unlock immediately. If I press an unlocked handle, lock immediately. Every time, first time, and immediately. That's not the bar to be a great luxury car, that's the bar to an entry level car from other manufacturers.

My expectations for this car were not vs a Tesla, but vs other luxury sports cars in this price range. Customer care and service have been awesome. Performance, range, and driving, I love the car. The software is improved from 1.0.4, but still has a long way to go. I make many compromises in my expectations so I can enjoy the car. Boot time is excessively long, lock/unlock is inconsistent to be kind (with the key fob in your pocket), preferences for lock/unlock don't exist, Homelink implementation is awful, Cameras / park distance get a D in my grade book. Audio controls are virtually unusable while driving, Nav is not good, there is no way to "turn the car off", no comfort access. Lag when changing screens is still way too long. Common occurrences like returning to the car for a forgotten item confuse the proximity lock/unlock to no end. Standing next to your 185K car waiting for it to decide if it wants to unlock and then after waiting a "firm" to the full indent press of the handle still having no response, is beyond frustrating. I am waiting for the next update to try the mobile key again. So far the mobile key has been so bad its not worth the frustration. I use the fob which is less bad. If I press the handle when locked, unlock immediately. If I press an unlocked handle, lock immediately. Every time, first time, and immediately. That's not the bar to be a great luxury car, that's the bar to an entry level car from other manufacturers.
We know all of this. Our bet is on Lucid being all in on this project.

The cost of failure is enormous, but they aren't even close to that.

We know all of this. Our bet is on Lucid being all in on this project.

The cost of failure is enormous, but they aren't even close to that.
Of course they are all in. So what? Get lock/unlock right. It's the first and last impression every time you drive the car. It's not a new or innovative feature, Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Stellantis, get it right on every car. I can wait for any advanced feature, but it shouldn't be hard to unlock the car or change the radio station.

Of course they are all in. So what? Get lock/unlock right. It's the first and last impression every time you drive the car. It's not a new or innovative feature, Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Stellantis, get it right on every car. I can wait for any advanced feature, but it shouldn't be hard to unlock the car or change the radio station.
I'm with you on the radio station, but it seems 1.1.5 resolved that for me!

If there is an easy way to scan the FM band I would love to see it. Count the screens and button presses to try and find FM stations when you drive out of range of your favorites. It's not reasonable to use while driving.

Hey Bill, are you still having issues with the key using your key fob or is it as you would expect like a normal car?

Back