Siemens to buy into Electrify America

🤞
I was surprised by this though- only plan to double # of stations by 2026. The number of EVs on the road then will be way more than double what it is today.

Attachments

• 49D5D8AA-6CB9-4987-A38A-620355C8E994.jpeg
    49D5D8AA-6CB9-4987-A38A-620355C8E994.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 88
🤞
I was surprised by this though- only plan to double # of stations by 2026. The number of EVs on the road then will be way more than double what it is today.
You can read about EA's current "Cycle 3" plan here:

You can read about EA's current "Cycle 3" plan here:
There are two EA chargers within a 15' drive of me, but they are both still "coming soon." Both have looked finished for over a year now. I assume it is permitting, but they are not opening very fast. Someone needs a good kick in the but to get them to open.

There are two EA chargers within a 15' drive of me, but they are both still "coming soon." Both have looked finished for over a year now. I assume it is permitting, but they are not opening very fast. Someone needs a good kick in the but to get them to open.
🤞
Stations are referring to locations not stalls/plugs right?

Stations are referring to locations not stalls/plugs right?
Correct, with a little over 4 charging stalls/plugs per station/location on average.

Correct, with a little over 4 charging stalls/plugs per station/location on average.
The article states they will have over 10,000 chargers (read stalls or plugs) installed in that same timeframe, nearly triple the number they have now.

I have no idea how Tesla deploys its Supercharger network sites so quickly. I'm assuming they all have to go through the same permitting process but no sooner does Tesla break ground the chargers are up and running pretty quickly where EA has numerous locations sitting idle for months.

No EA stations within about 90 minutes of me - and it's only one station. The whole 3 year of free charging deal will only be useful if I'm traveling, unfortunately. There are Tesla charging stations on every corner though.

Right now the closest to me is 4 miles and there is a proposed one about the same distance in the opposite direction. That is okay with me as I plan to use it mainly to occasionally top off the battery (actually, not top off because I will be using it to get to a reasonable base so I can finish charging overnight at the slower, better 240 charge speed) or for an occasional trip.

I have no plans to regularly charge my car at an EA station - only for long trips. It's just too convenient to charge at home instead. And a little easier on the battery.

Right now the closest to me is 4 miles and there is a proposed one about the same distance in the opposite direction. That is okay with me as I plan to use it mainly to occasionally top off the battery (actually, not top off because I will be using it to get to a reasonable base so I can finish charging overnight at the slower, better 240 charge speed) or for an occasional trip.
thats kind of my plan
I tend to capitalise on EA when I grab a coffee / mooch around the shops at Stanford - but set the limit to around 70%, then basically slow charge at home all the other times.

finding myself fast charging once a week.

still Mo Chargers is Mo Better

Blink is buying SemaConnect. Is there some consolidation happening in the charging networks?

For clarity, VW didn't sell all of EA to Siemens. They sold them a $400 million stake in EA, which is about 20% if it's valued at 2 billion. Hopefully they have some influence on keeping things running correctly, they get a board seat.

Blink is buying SemaConnect. Is there some consolidation happening in the charging networks?

It's not surprising tbh. I think they all started off with grand ambitions and realized while they're relatively easy to deploy, the install cost isn't cheap and then maintaining them is a nightmare. They're not a set and forget scenario where you can just sit in an office and watch the money roll in. I think we will eventually end up with 3 to 4 major players with the smaller ones being absorbed. The less the better because it hopefully means that they can all agree to some standards and makes it easier for companies like Lucid to have plug and charger operational on those networks.

It's not surprising tbh. I think they all started off with grand ambitions and realized while they're relatively easy to deploy, the install cost isn't cheap and then maintaining them is a nightmare. They're not a set and forget scenario where you can just sit in an office and watch the money roll in. I think we will eventually end up with 3 to 4 major players with the smaller ones being absorbed. The less the better because it hopefully means that they can all agree to some standards and makes it easier for companies like Lucid to have plug and charger operational on those networks.
I agree and would want some consolidation over time.

No EA stations within about 90 minutes of me - and it's only one station. The whole 3 year of free charging deal will only be useful if I'm traveling, unfortunately. There are Tesla charging stations on every corner though.
Similar for me- 2 hours away..

Back