[RESOLVED] Does your front footwell woofer work properly?

Can you hear/feel the woofer in the Driver footwell?

• Total voters
Weighing in here with some info. This thread was TL;DR so I may be repeating what others have noted before.
  1. There are two subs in the front. They utilize cavities in the body of the car as their enclosure and have a small diameter / high-Xmax sub (unsure of the size or specs).
  2. Their duties are primarily for the mid-bass region, somewhere between 50-100hz.
  3. There is one sub in the rear, set up for lower range response between 30-60hz.
  4. The original DSP EQ had a lot more response out of the front subs vs. the rear one (which is set up for lower range duties) from my testing a while back as @bunnylebowski noted.
  5. Pre-2.0, when you cranked the bass EQ these front drivers would get overworked and muddy, possible even hitting max excursion. This was especially prevalent at higher volumes or more dynamically challenged tracks.
  6. After 2.0, I've not noticed this come up any longer and the bass has sounded much better. Some of my favorite tracks that used to overtax the system now are much cleaner.
  7. That said the lowest ranges are still not as prevalent as I'd like. Tracks like My Blood by Twenty One Pilots have some really neat lower hits, and those are almost entirely missed in the system. This is not a dealbreaker, just the result of a stereo that prioritizes clarity and sound staging over raw dynamics.
As @ARamsdale noted:
I think someone earlier in the thread mentioned that it's almost like an executive mode. That part is very impressive. And maybe the bass/lack of bass decision was a tradeoff, since bass is much less controllable; although I'd like to see that configurable in future revisions.
Exactly this. They made a set of tradeoffs to prioritize that experience over just thumping along with the treble ringing in your ears while your chest shakes. Frankly, I'm glad they did.

I've got over 11,500 miles on my car so far. At no point have I said "this stereo makes me regret my purchase" and I'm still a Very Happy Lucid Owner. :)

I'm actually extremely interested in hearing the new AMT style tweeters. Some headphones are starting to use them as well. Instead of the cone moving forward/backward, my understanding is they use a wafer, almost like an air filter, and then the ridges squeeze back and forth to produce high-frequencies (think left/right, versus in/out) - but perhaps you may have some better insight on these... seems like interesting tech.
I am in love with the AMT designs at the moment when paired with BMRs (Balanced Mode Radiators). You can do some crazy shit where you have virtually identical off-axis and on-axis responses all the way out to 80 degrees with this combo. The BMRs are especially good at having really well integrated midrange and make vocals/strings/brass sound just incredible. I highly recommend taking a look.

I've got a pair of Dayton Epique AMTs (got them before they stopped making them) that I'm about to drop into a pair of cabinets, paired with 10" paper cone Dayton Reference woofers. Should make for some really excellent dynamic range.

Weighing in here with some info. This thread was TL;DR so I may be repeating what others have noted before.
  1. There are two subs in the front. They utilize cavities in the body of the car as their enclosure and have a small diameter / high-Xmax sub (unsure of the size or specs).
  2. Their duties are primarily for the mid-bass region, somewhere between 50-100hz.
  3. There is one sub in the rear, set up for lower range response between 30-60hz.
  4. The original DSP EQ had a lot more response out of the front subs vs. the rear one (which is set up for lower range duties) from my testing a while back as @bunnylebowski noted.
  5. Pre-2.0, when you cranked the bass EQ these front drivers would get overworked and muddy, possible even hitting max excursion. This was especially prevalent at higher volumes or more dynamically challenged tracks.
  6. After 2.0, I've not noticed this come up any longer and the bass has sounded much better. Some of my favorite tracks that used to overtax the system now are much cleaner.
  7. That said the lowest ranges are still not as prevalent as I'd like. Tracks like My Blood by Twenty One Pilots have some really neat lower hits, and those are almost entirely missed in the system. This is not a dealbreaker, just the result of a stereo that prioritizes clarity and sound staging over raw dynamics.
As @ARamsdale noted:

Exactly this. They made a set of tradeoffs to prioritize that experience over just thumping along with the treble ringing in your ears while your chest shakes. Frankly, I'm glad they did.

I've got over 11,500 miles on my car so far. At no point have I said "this stereo makes me regret my purchase" and I'm still a Very Happy Lucid Owner. :)

This is great information. Glad you mentioned the 2.0 improvements because I sensed the same thing, but thought I was possibly imaging it!!

As @ARamsdale noted:

This is why I love this forum, there’s always someone who knows more than me on certain things who can chime in with the vocabulary/background I’m lacking. I know all the frequency/wave mechanics/sound pressure level stuff, but know very little about speaker design beyond how they work. I suspected those front woofers were unique based on their appearance and didn’t think they’d do much below 50hz so I assumed it was a rear sub doing the heavy lifting. Thanks for the post @copper !

This exact thing is going on in my GT. Had it to the service center already and they are ordering new speaker. They mentioned performing some other tests first before simply replacing, but they ordered the speaker as a solution if needed. Ordered on Monday this week, expect to take it back into service next week.
Update on my “blown” speaker issue, as I just got the car back from service. Cutting to the chase, the speaker was NOT the issue. The issue was that resonance was traveling up the A-pillar from the woofer in the drivers’ footwell. This was addressed and the system sounds awesome!

If you want to learn more about it, read on… I truly appreciate how the Lucid team attacked this issue. My assumption was a blown speaker. SA John in Scottsdale wanted to be sure that they identified the root cause and worked with engineering to troubleshoot. So that I would not have to wait for a part to arrive and increase time in the service center once they dug into the issue, John ordered a speaker just in case that was the problem. Once the speaker came in, we set an appointment with the intent of completing the repair in one shot. The tech recorded the issue and uploaded to engineering. They determined it was not the speaker and that there was something within the structure causing the vibration/resonance that was quite noticeable right at head level of the driver.

After pulling the trim off the A-pillar and kick panel, they found that sound was traveling up the pillar and out a hole in the struture near the top A-pillar speaker. Using a newly created service bulletin from engineering, they completed the repair. I think that engineering actually finalized their service bulletin based on what the Scottsdale tech was finding.

The reason I share all of the gory details is that I find it quite satisfying to have this Lucid team work to find true root causes for new issues. Working on many of my own cars over the years, I have replaced many parts that were not broken, chasing the real issue down a rabbit hole. This desire to make things right the first time benefits me as the customer, the company and of course future Lucid owners.

I have to admit that when John explained what they were going to do, why and how, I was excited to hear about what they found. I love being a part of solving problems, providing solutions, making things right - a definite sense of satisfaction with finding the “right” solution. From my perspective, this was a team effort from a team that cares and wants to do the right thing, whatever it takes. Kudos to the team.

Update on my “blown” speaker issue, as I just got the car back from service. Cutting to the chase, the speaker was NOT the issue. The issue was that resonance was traveling up the A-pillar from the woofer in the drivers’ footwell. This was addressed and the system sounds awesome!

If you want to learn more about it, read on… I truly appreciate how the Lucid team attacked this issue. My assumption was a blown speaker. SA John in Scottsdale wanted to be sure that they identified the root cause and worked with engineering to troubleshoot. So that I would not have to wait for a part to arrive and increase time in the service center once they dug into the issue, John ordered a speaker just in case that was the problem. Once the speaker came in, we set an appointment with the intent of completing the repair in one shot. The tech recorded the issue and uploaded to engineering. They determined it was not the speaker and that there was something within the structure causing the vibration/resonance that was quite noticeable right at head level of the driver.

After pulling the trim off the A-pillar and kick panel, they found that sound was traveling up the pillar and out a hole in the struture near the top A-pillar speaker. Using a newly created service bulletin from engineering, they completed the repair. I think that engineering actually finalized their service bulletin based on what the Scottsdale tech was finding.

The reason I share all of the gory details is that I find it quite satisfying to have this Lucid team work to find true root causes for new issues. Working on many of my own cars over the years, I have replaced many parts that were not broken, chasing the real issue down a rabbit hole. This desire to make things right the first time benefits me as the customer, the company and of course future Lucid owners.

I have to admit that when John explained what they were going to do, why and how, I was excited to hear about what they found. I love being a part of solving problems, providing solutions, making things right - a definite sense of satisfaction with finding the “right” solution. From my perspective, this was a team effort from a team that cares and wants to do the right thing, whatever it takes. Kudos to the team.

That is very interesting and so glad they figured out the cause!!

This is amazing, and equally reassuring - because it precisely describes what my ears were hearing at ear level, and feeling the resonance in conjunction with the bass from the footwell speaker.

Any chance you can get an ID on that bulletin, so I can have lucid service take a look at my car, building on what your tech was able to discover?

This is amazing, and equally reassuring - because it precisely describes what my ears were hearing at ear level, and feeling the resonance in conjunction with the bass from the footwell speaker.

Any chance you can get an ID on that bulletin, so I can have lucid service take a look at my car, building on what your tech was able to discover?
Yes please send

Sounds good.

Work Order#: WO-013819
Thank you. I already sent that to my tech and he will have a look at it. I really appreciate you taking the time to write your detailed post above. It is very helpful in my specific situation.

Thank you. I already sent that to my tech and he will have a look at it. I really appreciate you taking the time to write your detailed post above. It is very helpful in my specific situation.

Frank Collins came by my house today to troubleshoot my footwell woofer problem. The curious thing is that the “whoompa-whoompa-whoompa” sound has diminished to the point of being virtually undetectable. This afternoon I had to work really hard to reproduce the sound for Frank and even then I wasn’t entirely successful, even as I used the same test tracks that were recommended several posts ago. Figures.

It could be that my problem was fixed by and through the last couple of software updates. But I don’t really know. All I know now is that sound, like my woofer is blown, has diminished considerably.

I may have Frank come back, armed with this latest service bulletin if my problem comes back.

Clarification on service bulletin: Per my SA, they performed a “service procedure “ to potentially correct my issue. As it appears to have worked this info will most likely be used to help develop a future “service bulletin “. So no bulletin yet but certainly valid info to go on if you may be experiencing the same issue.

Update: Success!

Service (Frank) was at my house today to fix the problem with the woofer in the footwell on the driver side. I previously called in a subwoofer, but he corrected me… It is a woofer. Anyhow, the woofer sounded like it was "blown" from the beginning, so he brought a new speaker with him. The best way to demonstrate it is with the song "Need You Tonight" by INXS, move it the 1:00 minute mark and stick your head down inside of the car next to the dead pedal. Shouldn't hear muddy vibrations on the kick drum.

Since the time that I originally discovered the problem, more knowledge has been gained about it. It turns out it's not the speaker at all. Behind the footwell carpet is aluminum body and in it, two 1 inch holes. These holes are covered by a piece of tape that looks like duct tape, about 4" x 2". It turns out it was that very tape that would vibrate and cause the sound of distortion. Frank removed that tape and replaced it with some foil backed butyl tape (Pella window tape to be specific). Voilà, the problem was instantly gone. The sound system sounds amazing now. While he was at it, he also did the passenger football which had some of the same problem, but not as pronounced. So happy with the sound system now!

While we were at it, he worked on the steering wheel to get rid of the creaking plastic to plastic sound. He took it off and apart (beat that, Tesla, even cooler than your dorky yoke), then put foam spacers at each of the four screws that hold it together from the back. A couple squirts of WD-40 dry lube, and the problem is gone forever!

We are blessed to have Frank here, he's patient and helpful. Thanks, Lucid. Love my GT!

1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
4.jpeg
5.jpeg
6.jpeg

Service (Frank) was at my house today to fix the problem with the woofer in the footwell on the driver side. I previously called in a subwoofer, but he corrected me… It is a woofer. Anyhow, the woofer sounded like it was "blown" from the beginning, so we brought a new speaker with him. The best way to demonstrate it is with the song "Need You Tonight" by INXS, move it the 1:00 minute mark and stick your head down inside of the car next to the dead pedal. Shouldn't hear muddy vibrations on the kick drum.

Since the time that I originally discovered the problem, more knowledge has been gained about it. It turns out it's not the speaker at all. Behind the footwell carpet is aluminum body and in it, two 1 inch holes. These holes are covered by a piece of tape that looks like duct tape, about 4" x 2". It turns out it was that very tape that would vibrate and cause the sound of distortion. Frank removed that tape and replaced it with some foil backed butyl tape (Pella window tape to be specific). Voilà, the problem was instantly gone. The sound system sounds amazing now. While he was at it, he also did the passenger football which had some of the same problem, but not as pronounced. So happy with the sound system now!

While we were at it, he worked on the steering wheel to get rid of the creaking plastic to plastic sound. He took it off and apart (beat that, Tesla, even cooler than your dorky yoke), then put foam spacers at each of the four screws that hold it together from the back. A couple squirts of WD-40 dry lube, and the problem is gone forever!

We are blessed to have Frank here, he's patient and helpful. Thanks, Lucid. Love my GT!

View attachment 7596View attachment 7597View attachment 7598View attachment 7599View attachment 7600View attachment 7601
Oh, I love the picture where the steering wheel is removed. Imagine driving using those two handles! Now there's an idea along the lines of Tesla's yoke.

Service (Frank) was at my house today to fix the problem with the woofer in the footwell on the driver side. I previously called in a subwoofer, but he corrected me… It is a woofer. Anyhow, the woofer sounded like it was "blown" from the beginning, so we brought a new speaker with him. The best way to demonstrate it is with the song "Need You Tonight" by INXS, move it the 1:00 minute mark and stick your head down inside of the car next to the dead pedal. Shouldn't hear muddy vibrations on the kick drum.

View attachment 7596View attachment 7597View attachment 7598View attachment 7599View attachment 7600View attachment 7601

I’m going to ask Frank to effect this fix the next time I put in a request for a service call. I’ll play the same INXS song when he gets here too.

I’m going to ask Frank to effect this fix the next time I put in a request for a service call. I’ll play the same INXS song when he gets here too.
At our next Lucid meetup at my house we should blast that song and have a few drinks.

Oh, I love the picture where the steering wheel is removed. Imagine driving using those two handles! Now there's an idea along the lines of Tesla's yoke.
Makes the screen look immense!

Back