Lucid Air Stereo "Surreal Sound" Testing Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunnylebowski

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT Black/Tahoe/19"
I decided to post in this thread to update it since there’s been a lot of questions/concern about volume levels and frequency response, bass, etc in the car. I tested my car and for proper listening level it should be calibrated so that when you play back pink noise, with the volume slider in the position shown in the picture below, it should be at 79dB, which is the standard small professional mIxing rooms are calibrated to. Large rooms for film mixing are calibrated to 86dB but we’ll use the small room standard since the car is small. You can test your system with a simple tool, just download this SPL meter to your phone, it’s accurate enough.

In the app settings set frequency weighting to “C” weight. Then open the app, go into Tidal in the car, and play this pink noise track.
Adjust your volume slider until the dB meter app hovers around 79dB in the center of the car (holding it at head level at the arm rest is fine). My volume slider is set to this level to equal 79dB in the picture below, which is actually a pretty loud music listening level. If you want to test frequency response play this track once you’ve got the volume slider set to 79dB.
https://tidal.com/track/239208358

You’ll notice it’s pretty inaudible at 20hz which is typical for most reasonable systems with subwoofers, but it’s very audible at 40hz which is what most people perceive as “bass” anyway. If you hear nothing at 40hz then something is wrong with your system and you should do a reboot and if that doesn’t work then call Lucid.

I personally am very impressed as where the volume knob is calibrated to be 79dB is very close to how a fader in a mixing studio would work, where zero on the fader is 79dB, and you can go up to +12dB above that which is fucking ear splitting. They definitely had real pros calibrate this system, I just think because almost all car audio isn’t calibrated this way, it seems “wrong”.

Attachments

• A04B7B32-5D95-49AA-A5B6-951362BDDE1F.jpeg
    A04B7B32-5D95-49AA-A5B6-951362BDDE1F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 269
I should add that 79dB is LOUD, I would not recommend listening at this level for long. This is just the equivalent to the fader being at “zero” in the mixing studio. Most mixers have things at least -6db below zero and zero is only for the peaks.

Last edited:
I really don’t understand why folks complain about the bass. I know it’s a personal thing, but I have always considered myself an audiophile, and for me the bass is absolutely amazing in the AGT. It is extremely tight and controlled. I think nowadays folks have become accustomed to loose flabby bass because it is such a difficult thing to control well, and most EQs goose it way beyond its ability, and it goes into resonance. That is even exploited in a lot of sound mixes. However the bass in the Lucid is the way bass should be IMO. it’s actually incredible that they accomplished it in a small car volume. Good bass is very rare.

I really don’t understand why folks complain about the bass. I know it’s a personal thing, but I have always considered myself an audiophile, and for me the bass is absolutely amazing in the AGT. It is extremely tight and controlled. I think nowadays folks have become accustomed to loose flabby bass because it is such a difficult thing to control well, and most EQs goose it way beyond its ability, and it goes into resonance. That is even exploited in a lot of sound mixes. However the bass in the Lucid is the way bass should be IMO. it’s actually incredible that they accomplished it in a small car volume. Good bass is very rare.
I agree one thousand percent. Bass is hard to control in a mix and mixers work very hard to make it precise and not muddy up the mix, only to have a lot of car systems hype the shit out of the bass cuz people think that’s a sign of quality which messes up the rest of the track’s balance. The Lucid’s bass is controlled enough where the RANGE of the low frequencies is very even and not flabby. The low frequency sweep on that Tidal audio calibration track really reveals the quality, and what’s really impressive is they must have some very smooth crossovers because I did not notice much of a dip when the woofers cross over to the subs (usually 160-120hz).

My main complaint is not so much the lack of bass, but the lack of volume. I feel like I don’t even hear anything, until I get at least a third of the way up the volume control. At half volume it is still sort of barely audible. Never before in any other vehicle have I been able to listen to the music at 90% volume and still be able to speak and hear other people

My main complaint is not so much the lack of bass, but the lack of volume. I feel like I don’t even hear anything, until I get at least a third of the way up the volume control. At half volume it is still sort of barely audible. Never before in any other vehicle have I been able to listen to the music at 90% volume and still be able to speak and hear other people
Wow. I can’t even hear myself at that volume. Maybe it’s an issue with your car? One thing I will say is that we tend not to perceive music as loud until it distorts. For me, the measure of a good sound system is that you can’t tell it’s loud until you start singing along to the music, and you realize you cannot hear yourself. I find this to be the case in my AGT at around 90%

Thanks Bunny for your analysis. For those of us that don’t have Tidal, can we download another program to test our systems?

Thanks Bunny for your analysis. For those of us that don’t have Tidal, can we download another program to test our systems?
I think Spotify has the same sound calibration recording, search for Bunker Analog Hi res Audio test signals.

Yeah 80% volume based on my test would about 80dB, more than loud enough. If the source you’re playing from is inadequate though that can’t be helped. Like are you streaming over Bluetooth and your phone’s audio controls aren’t set to max? Hard to compare with different sources.

Yeah 80% volume based on my test would about 80dB, more than loud enough. If the source you’re playing from is inadequate though that can’t be helped. Like are you streaming over Bluetooth and your phone’s audio controls aren’t set to max? Hard to compare with different sources.
This using all sources. The Tidal Atmos sound great but I can easily put to 90% volume. Never had that happen before.

Audio Check is my “album of choice” for test signals since it has way more than pink noise including sweeps and individual frequencies. Just be careful to start with low volume for any test.
I have tested sound in the Lucid with a good mic and an Real-Time Analyzer (RTA) and have seen some very good results, particularly after 2.0 but recently noticed there may have been some dsp changes. I was going to wait for Apple Carplay to test again but wondering if anyone else has noticed a change (less warm and fatiguing).
I am still perplexed by the absence of USB audio in… it’s a standard in the auto industry now. I think it’s crazy to rely on wireless android auto or apple carplay and it’s unnecessarily limiting.

Audio Check is my “album of choice” for test signals since it has way more than pink noise including sweeps and individual frequencies. Just be careful to start with low volume for any test.
I have tested sound in the Lucid with a good mic and an Real-Time Analyzer (RTA) and have seen some very good results, particularly after 2.0 but recently noticed there may have been some dsp changes. I was going to wait for Apple Carplay to test again but wondering if anyone else has noticed a change (less warm and fatiguing).
I am still perplexed by the absence of USB audio in… it’s a standard in the auto industry now. I think it’s crazy to rely on wireless android auto or apple carplay and it’s unnecessarily limiting.
Thanks, I’ll have to try AudioCheck. I agree, the car really should have allowed USB audio, but maybe they’re on to some security knowledge we aren’t, or maybe the car has a flaw that makes USB insecure? Not sure, but it’s too bad it doesn’t allow USB audio. I hope CarPlay isn’t wireless CarPlay and uses USB, cuz isn’t Wireless CarPlay just over Bluetooth, which means audio will sound bad?

I have not noticed any audio changes since 2.0 in terms of fidelity/quality but I think they did make some tweaks to the DSP? I’m amazed at how not-fatiguing the audio is in the car.

I hope CarPlay isn’t wireless CarPlay and uses USB, cuz isn’t Wireless CarPlay just over Bluetooth, which means audio will sound bad?
Wireless CarPlay only uses Bluetooth initially to handshake. Then it uses WiFi for communications for everything else. As far as I know, Lucid’s CarPlay will be wireless.

My intent of paying big bucks for SSp is directional alerts. How do I test that?

My intent of paying big bucks for SSp is directional alerts. How do I test that?
The blind spot alerts will be directional. Or if you have a turn signal activated and the alert for cross traffic will be directional as well.

I should add that 79dB is LOUD, I would not recommend listening at this level for long. This is just the equivalent to the fader being at “zero” in the mixing studio. Most mixers have things at least -6db below zero and zero is only for the peaks.
Thanks @bunnylebowski,,,, I find myself sitting in the car in my garage playing with the controls but love this sound system. My wife actually came out to see if I wanted to eat lunch in the car!!!!

Wireless CarPlay only uses Bluetooth initially to handshake. Then it uses WiFi for communications for everything else. As far as I know, Lucid’s CarPlay will be wireless.

I know this has been addressed but I still find it somewhat mystifying. If Carplay is wireless ( via WIFI ), as opposed to a USB connection , theoretically there should not be significant degradation of audio quality?
In other worlds, is there a discernible difference in sound quality with WIFI connection versus USB? Does it depend on the strength of the wireless connection?

I know this has been addressed but I still find it somewhat mystifying. If Carplay is wireless ( via WIFI ), as opposed to a USB connection , theoretically there should not be significant degradation of audio quality?
In other worlds, is there a discernible difference in sound quality with WIFI connection versus USB? Does it depend on the strength of the wireless connection?
Unfortunately, audio quality is degraded by wifi or bluetooth connectivity as compared to usb. Usb>wifi>bluetooth. This is due to compression algorithms and while these algorithms have advanced, they are still limiting and will impact audio quality.
Wireless carplay uses bluetooth only for initial “handshaking” and creates a closed wifi network. This is better than bluetooth but maxes out at “cd quality” (16bit, 44.1khz). Depending on the kind of usb connection you have and it gets complicated… you can get to 24bit and 192khz but more likely 24bit 96khz.
Can you tell the difference? In a car? Maybe/maybe not. If not moving…. Probably.
I can certainly tell in comparing these various bitrates on a home stereo.

Unfortunately, audio quality is degraded by wifi or bluetooth connectivity as compared to usb. Usb>wifi>bluetooth. This is due to compression algorithms and while these algorithms have advanced, they are still limiting and will impact audio quality.
Wireless carplay uses bluetooth only for initial “handshaking” and creates a closed wifi network. This is better than bluetooth but maxes out at “cd quality” (16bit, 44.1khz). Depending on the kind of usb connection you have and it gets complicated… you can get to 24bit and 192khz but more likely 24bit 96khz.
Can you tell the difference? In a car? Maybe/maybe not. If not moving…. Probably.
I can certainly tell in comparing these various bitrates on a home stereo.

Thanks for explaining this; makes sense. My education in tech continues.😉😉
Perhaps Lucid will eventually allow a “wired” connection for Carplay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back